Can you be an Infantry unit and walk around?

robmuzz

Well, I want to play an Arma like game myself :P. But my vision of it is not to make a whole map like Chernarus. I think we can all agree that would be ridiculous and would take YEARS to make because of the size of DCS maps (though it would be awesome :music_whistling:). My thought is to make just some spots on it where we could have a decent size FPS playable map. Say, keep most of the terrain the way it is now (well, it'll have to be a little better, maybe like Altis, which is nowhere near as complex as Chernarus, and is pretty much a rocky wasteland) but then have a nice sized town, outpost, small city, etc slowly build up out of the terrain which will be complicated and well done ( anything from Rainbow Six size maps to Arma sized villages like Utes ). Elsewhere, in the deep country, you could even keep the trees as sprites to bring down the FPS, because probably the only thing out there will be jets and helis. Now we have somewhere to play FPS missions which makes the Arma type players happy and we also have the vast country map which keeps true to DCS flight simming. This gives us some human ground forces to go against and also do CAS missions. It would be a start at least, and you could get third parties to make vehicles and infantry modules. Everyone wins and a lot more people get attracted to buying this sim.

I think this is a good time to do it with EDGE graphics coming in, and to tell you the truth, BIS seems to have lost interest in doing anything with Arma 3. Its like they just plunked it down and left (reminds me of Crysis 3). They've basically just told the modders "do what you will with it". Not a company I want to support if that's their attitude. I think they are turning towards RPG and DayZ type games now. I think this is the last Arma. Prime time for DCS to grab some of the Arma players.

Quote: ChrisB from the Arma forums, one of the good modders.

"Everyone’s enthusiastic about BI staying with the series, we have to be, there is no alternative. That said if there was an alternative game made in a very similar way to this series in the future, I think a lot of the so called ‘community’ would show their heals and leave."

/Quote

Says it all. Everyone like me has been banned from their forum for daring to point out the problems. Now, even though some mods are coming out, even the die hards are starting to get mad at the lackluster attitude BIS has about everything that is Arma 3.

Edited by Dr. Yes
  • Like 1

no. you can't.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 7 years later...
On 5/1/2013 at 8:08 AM, robmuzz said:

I saw a video (of the P51 I think) where they started on-foot (looking down at their feet) and went up to the aircraft.

I am new to DCS World, so...

My question is.

Can you get out? Or control infrantry in the Combined Arms?

If I make a mission in the Editor with a P51 and an Infantry unit, can I switch to the ground unit?

Thanks,

Rob.

Actually... YES, you CAN! 😄

Maybe it is an update since the very old original post, but you can create a stinger infantry in Combined Arms, and make it player controlled.  Then you can run around the map as that little infantry guy and shoot your stinger launcher at aircraft.  It is very rudimentary, but I love it! 🙂

EDIT:

I hope someday you can also take over one of those little regular infantry guys, and shoot your rifle at things.  I don't care if the controls are so simple, I just think it would be so funny and entertaining to do this inside such an incredible high fidelity combat sim with everything else going on-- have your little low fidelity guy sneaking around haha!

Edited by qcheck
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, qcheck said:

Actually... YES, you CAN! 😄

Maybe it is an update since the very old original post, but you can create a stinger infantry in Combined Arms, and make it player controlled.  Then you can run around the map as that little infantry guy and shoot your stinger launcher at aircraft.  It is very rudimentary, but I love it! 🙂

EDIT:

I hope someday you can also take over one of those little regular infantry guys, and shoot your rifle at things.  I don't care if the controls are so simple, I just think it would be so funny and entertaining to do this inside such an incredible high fidelity combat sim with everything else going on-- have your little low fidelity guy sneaking around haha!

This has to be one of the longest necro thread revivals of all time!

Kudos for actually searching the forum for an answer to your question. A skill seemingly lost to many!

Combined Arms is a great addition to the sim and gives another dimension. It will never be Hell Let Loose though, (wouldn't that be awesome)!

48 minutes ago, 72Stu said:

Kudos for actually searching the forum for an answer to your question. A skill seemingly lost to many!

Absolutely! And still there are people here actually harassing "thread necromancer"... Like posting the same issue over and over again would do any good to this forum.

Edited by Pilot Ike
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...