ADF/VHF AM navigation tutorial. (video)

wess24m

I was playing with this last night and had the same issue. What I eventually discovered is that you need to turn the LOOP dial away from its central point (left or right, doesn't seem to matter) in order to hear the morse code. However, the ADF needle will NOT track the NDB when the dial is set away from the central position.

Having made this discovery, I did a long cross-country flight where I was alternating between having the LOOP dial away from centre in order to correctly identify the station and then switching back to centre to actually track the NDB.

These are just my discoveries from experimenting, though. I have no way of explaining why what I've discovered works the way it does. :)

I found the manual on the actual radio(s) so i'll have to dig a little deeper. Eventually i'll be writing a more complete guide to navigation along with in-depth description of the features and functions.

Could anyone check Kobuleti inner beacon (490 kHz). I can't get it to work. So far I've only been able to get the ILS and NDB on Batumi working... :helpsmilie:

And where can I find the file that defines all the different beacons?

'Frett'

So tested out the NDB at Batumi airport and (as reported) the ADF will give you an initial NDB audio beacon code then nothing. When switched to ANT it plays continually like it should but (because the ANT isn't intended to be use with the radio compass) you get no directional information.

I'll submit this in the bug section.

Was wondering how the troops freq was set up in mission editor for you to be able to track them. I tried a couple of times by assigning a freq to unit in FM but was not able to pick it up in huey.

You have to set "transmit message" then designate the file you like to transmit.

Thanks for the quick reply, so I will be able to home in on them using "ILS" per say?

Navigate using FM with the home setting on the radio. I explain it in my video tutorial for radio navigation VOR/ILS. Its in the tutorial section.

Also did download my test mission and look at unit labeled radio for the settings I used.

Edited by wess24m

OK! Hasn't made me any happier but after copious amounts of google interaction I finally found the frequencies I've been after... sort of!:mad:

On the airfield charts TACAN's are labled/numbered/coded as 22X "VAS" or 44X "KTS", 31X "TSK" et. etc. So here in lies the dilemma for us would be Huey pilots.

Why dilemma? you might ask... Because you can turn that knob on the nav com radio till it turns to dust and the display still won't read "VAS" "KTS" or anything other than a few numbers.

BUT! there is hope yet.. the 22X 31X 44X etc. is the key. so without going into an overly drawn explanation of what a tacan is and how it works and why the codes and numbers..(google is your friend go find out if you "MUST" know)

So then, it comes down to a little maths and a few numbers worth remembering or writing down.

How it works: on the chart it will say CH22X for example. Chanel 22 is a preset value much like the way you save radio stations on your car stereo.

1 to 16 plus 1343

17 to 59 plus 1063

60 to 69 plus 1273

70 to 126 plus 1053

CH17-CH59 you add 1063 eg. CH22 22+1063= 10850 ie. 108.50MHZ

So now you might be thinking "AWESOME!" ... but no... tried the freq's in the Huey's nav com and i don't get a needle response:cry: but with luck this will be fixed or sorted and we might soon all be able to at least know where we were going when we crashed!

Just as a side note...

Y Channels

17 to 59 plus 106.35

70 to 126 plus 105.35

so if it was CH22Y it would be 22+10635=108.55

Edited by Fuzzy_bear

OK! Hasn't made me any happier but after copious amounts of google interaction I finally found the frequencies I've been after... sort of!:mad:

On the airfield charts TACAN's are labled/numbered/coded as 22X "VAS" or 44X "KTS", 31X "TSK" et. etc. So here in lies the dilemma for us would be Huey pilots.

Why dilemma? you might ask... Because you can turn that knob on the nav com radio till it turns to dust and the display still won't read "VAS" "KTS" or anything other than a few numbers.

BUT! there is hope yet.. the 22X 31X 44X etc. is the key. so without going into an overly drawn explanation of what a tacan is and how it works and why the codes and numbers..(google is your friend go find out if you "MUST" know)

So then, it comes down to a little maths and a few numbers worth remembering or writing down.

How it works: on the chart it will say CH22X for example. Chanel 22 is a preset value much like the way you save radio stations on your car stereo.

1 to 16 plus 1343

17 to 59 plus 1063

60 to 69 plus 1273

70 to 126 plus 1053

CH17-CH59 you add 1063 eg. CH22 22+1063= 10850 ie. 108.50MHZ

So now you might be thinking "AWESOME!" ... but no... tried the freq's in the Huey's nav com and i don't get a needle response:cry: but with luck this will be fixed or sorted and we might soon all be able to at least know where we were going when we crashed!

Good info, hopefully (as you said) it will be fixed. For now we can always just add units broadcasting in the mission editor.

Hi Wess., Just watched the tutorial vid again. at the end when you fly over the troops back the way you came from the needle center's again. I've not seen any "TO" or "FROM" indication on the VOR indicator so with the needle lined up how do you know if you're flying towards the signal or away from it during a mission? or is that something else we need to add to the Huey wishlist?

Hi Wess., Just watched the tutorial vid again. at the end when you fly over the troops back the way you came from the needle center's again. I've not seen any "TO" or "FROM" indication on the VOR indicator so with the needle lined up how do you know if you're flying towards the signal or away from it during a mission? or is that something else we need to add to the Huey wishlist?

Just double checked the manual, doesn't look like it has the (to-from) designation. Also rewatched that part of my video and it's only straight when i'm heading to target. once on my way to them then when I swing around because the nose (once again) points towards them. Hope this helped.

Edited by wess24m
wrong thread.

So now you might be thinking "AWESOME!" ... but no... tried the freq's in the Huey's nav com and i don't get a needle response

VOR and TACAN use different frequencies (and technologies). TACAN operates in the UHF range, VOR operates in VHF (that's what the V stands for).

You can, however, tune an ILS with your Nav radio and you'll get sensing with the glideslope and localizer. The issue here is lack of VOR stations on the map.

I think moving forward in mission design people will start added NDB (or FM) stations for the Huey spots for important locations. The mission I just made today initially had one at the troop location but I took it out in favor of the player using landmarks. It's really not a big chore because it's just one trigger set, or unit option to do while designing a mission.

• 2 months later...

To once again have a grab onto the morse code audio.

To my understanding, it is supposed to work like that.

When the mode selector is in the ADF position, the radio loops through the signal to the compass for heading indication.

The ANT position puts the morse signal to the headphones to aurally confirm the selected beacon.

That's how I learned it in the shark and so far expected the huey radio(s) to work the same way.

In fact I even wondered, why I hear ANY morse code when the selector is in the ADF position.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

@wess24m

Would it be possible to share the radio manual(s) ?

Greetings

MadCat

To once again have a grab onto the morse code audio.

To my understanding, it is supposed to work like that.

When the mode selector is in the ADF position, the radio loops through the signal to the compass for heading indication.

The ANT position puts the morse signal to the headphones to aurally confirm the selected beacon.

That's how I learned it in the shark and so far expected the huey radio(s) to work the same way.

In fact I even wondered, why I hear ANY morse code when the selector is in the ADF position.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

@wess24m

Would it be possible to share the radio manual(s) ?

Greetings

MadCat

MadCat, hope this trick will help you, when I tune the ADF to an NDB, I turn the ADF Mode selector switch to "ANT"; then I tune to the desired frequency until I hear a strong signal; once right Morse code confirmed, I turn the Mode selector switch to "ADF". Be aware their a pause about 6-7 seconds between morse sequence.

About VOR, no issue, once I got the VHF Nav receiver tuned on the right frequency of a VOR (when I can reach the signal...), I hear the morse code until I turn the volume down or turn off the NAV Receiver switch on the C-1611/AIC

For the manual, here's a link I found about ARN-83 manual. Operation is on chapter 2 (start page page 8 ) http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-11-5826-225-12.pdf

Edited by Flyingfrog

That procedure for the ADF / NDB is just as I thought it to be, thanks for confirming it.

Working just the way I learned it in the shark, except with the preset channels and inner/outer beacons to check.

What puzzles me is the following:

Switching the mode selector from OFF to ADF the first time and tuning some with the frequency dial, I can tune in static noise as well als morse code.

Do I then switch the mode selector to ANT, I hear static noise too just as it would be supposed to be, then switching back to ADF, the noise is gone as it should be.

In that process I didn't touch the frequency knob once I first tuned to some static noise.

With a bit fiddeling around I can tune again static noise, as well as some morse code while being at ADF and to get rid of that noise, I have to switch to ANT and back to ADF.

I wonder if that is normal behavior or a bug in the current build.

Meanwhile I figured out too, that if I keep it at ADF, the received noise or morse signal fades after some seconds.

So question is, is it correct the way it is and even if on ADF the radio gives a few seconds of audio on the headphones when there is a newly tuned/received signal (be it noise or morse).

Or is it a bug and the ADF position should at all times just loop the received signal to the compass and never to the headphones.

Try it for yourself, when on ADF you can tune all day long and hear static noise and morse code, which in return you can then wait for it to fade out on its own, or "kill" it with switching to ANT and back to ADF.

I haven't had the time yet to look in the manual if this may really be correct as it is or not.

On that note, many thanks for the manual.

I have so far only quickly googled for the AN/ARC-134 manual.

Greetings

MadCat

Thanks for the info !

I had a look through the "Organizational Maintainance Manual" for the AN/ARN-83.

And if I understood everything alright, this should sum it up nice and short.

Chapter 2-2:

"[...] In any operating mode, the direction finder set will provide an aural output of any audio modulating the radio station rf carrier. [...]"

For every submode (ADF, ANT, LOOP) there is a note to adjust gain volume to a comfortable level, if desired.

So the set should always give audio to the headphones.

Yet I cannot find any information about an automatic gain control in said manual.

Will post this in the bugreport too.

Greetings

MadCat

• 5 months later...

Wess or anyone else that can answer,

How did you get those infantry units to broadcast that sound.

I think you said in the video "this is just the sound ive chosen"

so do you have to pick a sound file.

I went into mission editor and went to perform command/set frequency and then put in just "40" but when i go and fly nothing. cant even get the VOR/ILS instrument to move. Ive made sure several times by checking the video that i set it up right?

Ah i didnt do it through waypoint options, rather just clicked on the tab next to the waypoint set one and did it there.

Anyway got it working true heuy style and they are broadcasting fortunate son haha great.

i may put a playlist togther, and make a dcs radio station :P

Great thead btw thanks very much