Huey wish list

ebabil

1 hour ago, Tanuki44 said:

And how the rotary handle of my throttle (without mechanical stop) will stop at Idle Ground?

Without having an exact mechanic of the handle to reproduce the real operation, there will always be a compromise to accept.

Why do you need your physical throttle to stop? Do you want your PgDn to pop up once you hit idle stop? 

If you are asking what will happen to DCS axis, answer is nothing, DCS will ignore it. In Mi24, SPUU52 will limit in game tailrotor pitch. After certain point, DCS just ignores my pedals until they are back in allowed range. I don't see a reason not to have the same for twist throttle

On 10/18/2021 at 5:43 PM, Captain Orso said:

For what? What does it bring to realism? Nothing, because it cannot simulate the stop, and even if you could configure YOUR collective throttle to stop exactly at the exact right point, practically no one else has the same hardware.

What you are requesting can only be used by people with exactly your collective throttle. If ED programs that, more power to you, and I wish you fun with it.

The rest of us want the ability to use the same kind of throttle motion we ALL can use.

I don't think anyone is asking to remove the current throttle functionality.  An option under the special tab, just like say, force trim, that allows the entire throttle axis to be controlled by a controller axis, with the caveat that it will not move past the idle stop unless it registers a button press for it (much like it does now).

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

1 hour ago, heloguy said:

I don't think anyone is asking to remove the current throttle functionality.  An option under the special tab, just like say, force trim, that allows the entire throttle axis to be controlled by a controller axis, with the caveat that it will not move past the idle stop unless it registers a button press for it (much like it does now).

I am. The current function is garbage. It forces you to use the mouse to unlock the throttle. It could be done with a simply button press. 

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

21 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

Yes, with function as you ask for the Huey....

Huey, for one. It ignores your axis until DCS throttle is in correct range. Next is Mi24, where, depending on SPUU 52 state, DCS will ignore certain ammount of right pedal until you put physical pedals in "correct" range. So, can't be that hard to implement

18 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

It is always possible to mapping the PageUp and PageDown keys on simple buttons. 

That's true. I think I'd forgotten that you can use the PgUp key to get out of the stop-lock.

And yet the way it works now is still unintuitive and confounded, and from what I can tell, doesn't even conform to the actual manual. It's a program. Programs are supposed to help humans achieve goals, not be confusing, and cumbersome.

The actual Army manual from 1988 doesn't say anything about advancing the throttle from stop, past idle to full and then back to idle-stop (above the stop). It says to advance the throttle until movement to blocked by the stop (just less than 1/4 turn in the real-world from what I've read form an actual Huey mechanic) and then pull and hold the starter-trigger until N1 (gas producer RPM) reaches 40% (or 40 seconds of operation) then advance the throttle to just past the idle. When N1 is between 68 and 72%, twist the throttle down, pressing against the stop. On release the N1 should rise a tiny amount. This is just a check.

BTW anyone know whyt N1 is called N1? Just curious.

That's it; now the engine is running. After this you do the runup, which is more involved than I want to go into.

So, without a collective throttle that has an actual idle stop button which works exactly like a real Huey, it is not possible to EXACTLY simulate the Huey engine startup, but it would be very simply to emulate it with very little effort:

Throttle grips starts at stop position.
Make all preparations for startup.
Press and hold the start trigger.
At N1 40% press the IDLE STOP REL button, which advances the in-cockpit throttle grip to idle.

THAT'S IT! The rest is runup. The throttle grip is now free to move above the stop and the engine is running.

At shutdown, throttle-grip to idle, press the IDLE STOP REL button, and the throttle goes to stop with all it's consequences.

Could one add the throttle movement from stop to the idle stop blockage and require that to start the engine? Sure, but would it actually bring anything to the table for the 99.98% of Huey vPilots who don't have an absolutely conform throttle-grip? I think not.

Edited by Captain Orso
spelling

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

1. I simply use a button managed by autohotkey which automatically raises the level to Idle Ground.
  2. Then, the operation of the handle of throttle is according to the manual.
  3. For the stop, from Idle Ground, I use the button on the collective box that does the reverse (again with autohotkey) until the shutdown is complete.

Apart from the action line 1, which does not comply with RL, the rest seems and suits me perfectly. ED already having a lot of work to develop and fix the bugs,

I don't expect an improvement that brings so little. 😉

So I should have to install and manage yet another software to fix what ED hasn't managed to do simply and logically?

I'd rather not, thank you. 

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

On 10/19/2021 at 8:24 AM, admiki said:

So I don't have to lift my VR to press PgUp. Just because YOU don't use it does not mean that should be the same for all

use your mouse to roll past the stop.

click and move up.

its a lot easier than reaching for the keyboard in VR. and saves you having to map buttons to a hotas.

and as I'm clicking the idle stop anyway, that is right next to it... its not even any extra effort.

i only started doing this myself recently.. 

its actually a godsend for VR users. and I cant understand why I didn't think of this 4 years ago.

in helicopter's you never stop learning... 🙂

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

46 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

So I should have to install and manage yet another software to fix what ED hasn't managed to do simply and logically?

I'd rather not, thank you. 

A simple key manager to increase hardware performance, only the purpose is important. It's up to each person to see what they prefer 😉 

Waiting for Santa Claus or doing it yourself 🤣

On 10/5/2021 at 7:32 PM, Stratos said:

Thanks for that post Flagpie! I want to add that the hability to fly a non-hardpoint slick with gunners is for sure one of the most demanded features, and we all know it is possible!

EhvwDnI.png

How you do that? I want it!

19 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

A simple key manager to increase hardware performance, only the purpose is important. It's up to each person to see what they prefer 😉 

Waiting for Santa Claus or doing it yourself 🤣

It doesn't increase hardware performance. Don't be ridiculous.

It's interesting that you equate waiting for ED to fix a bug to waiting on Santa Clause. Santa Claus brings you what he wants to, and you get to fill out a wish-list too. Sometimes you get neat toys like the new Forrestal carrier, and sometimes you can wait for ages on a fix, or until you're in your grave.

Autohotkey is another software to manage. You may think anyone can use it blind, but I've had experience with it.

As I recall, I tried to use it to fix some issues with VAC and Viacom, and I discovered that autohotkey doesn't understand non-US keyboards, so it turned one mess into an even bigger mess, which in the end I couldn't solve.

I appreciate your trying to help, but yours is not the only perspective.

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Well, I don't get it. I remember very specifically using a script with autohotkey that all it did was show the keypresses (simpler is not possible) and pressing keys which have characters very specific to Germany keyboards and getting characters shown as if it were a US keyboard. This was the issue I had in VAC and in Viacom as well. No one could explain this. I have a very standard Windows installation and a very common keyboard (Logitech G11).

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Tanuki44 said:

The only performance issue I had, it is by wanting to manage the axes. Not being important, I did not persist, but maybe I should try again ...

If I can help for a specific script 😉 

Thanks for the offer. It was a script from the autohotkey site they suggested for is you have any issues to test your in- and output. I have no intentions at the moment of going back down that path. I'm trying to keep things simple these days, but many thanks for the offer.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

IDK if this suggested before but...

Huey has no air to air missiles, ok. Realistic, but kind of suck. 

Huey is probably capable of carrying a manpad soldier, and it has probably happened IRL at least once.

So... add manpad soldier as a loadout option, and control him just like you control the existing side door M60/miniguns.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:58 AM, Captain Orso said:

Throttle grips starts at stop position.
Make all preparations for startup.
Press and hold the start trigger.
At N1 40% press the IDLE STOP REL button, which advances the in-cockpit throttle grip to idle.

I think the problem someone might have with this is that you don't have to press the IDLE STOP REL button to advance to idle.  Only to go below idle when you're shutting down, so it's not realistic to how the aircraft is actually started.  You should be able to pull the trigger, wait for N1 to rise to the appropriate percent, and then simply twist the throttle until you are past the idle stop to introduce fuel.  Small difference, but it might matter to some.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:25 PM, Preendog said:

IDK if this suggested before but...

Huey has no air to air missiles, ok. Realistic, but kind of suck. 

Huey is probably capable of carrying a manpad soldier, and it has probably happened IRL at least once.

So... add manpad soldier as a loadout option, and control him just like you control the existing side door M60/miniguns.

Is it really possible with the rear flame to shoot from inside a chopper?   -  0'42"