HOW TO: Radio Music in UH-1H

Following along with PappaVIS "Radio Mayak" I tried it out in the UH-1H and found with slight changes it WORKS!!

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=102687

Pappavis way:

"

Steps;

1. Start Audacity. Create, or convert an appropriate sound file, of say.. 15 minutes playing time, save in OGG-format .

2. Start DCSWorld, choose mission editor.

3. Create a triggerzone 'RadioMayak' of 30km radius around Maykop airbase.

4. Create a once-off trigger '4 mission start'

* type=Coalition has aerodrome, aerodrome=Maykop Khanskaya

* action=flag 1, value=On

6. Create another Once Trigger, No Event, condition=Flag is true (1), then select Action-->

Radio transmission, then choose <<file you created>>, zone='Radio Mayak', value=FM, loop=on, frequency=103400, power=200

5. Add a Pilot flyable Ka-50 taking off from ramp at Maykop.

6. Save the mission.

7. Start the mission, tune radio to 103,400Mhz FM and.. low & behold.. RADIO MAYAK!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

tested with Ka-50, might work with P-51D with adjustments to LUA-scripts. "

My way for UH-1H:

Steps;

1. Start Audacity. Create, or convert an appropriate sound file, of say.. 15 minutes playing time, save in OGG-format .

2. Start DCSWorld, choose mission editor.

3. Create a triggerzone 'RADIO' of all airfield you are located or all of playfield for that matter.

4. Create a once-off trigger '4 mission start' NAME = RADIO

conditions: * type=Coalition has airdrome, coalition = Blue, airdrome="Current Airfield of trigger location controlled by blue"

actions: flag on, flag 1

5. Create another Once Trigger name Radio check, No Event

conditions: type= Flag is true, flag 1

Action:Radio transmission, then choose <<file you created>>, zone='RADIO', value=AM, loop=on, frequency=135400, power=200

6. Add a Pilot flyable UH-1H taking off at ramp of airport chosen above.

7. Save the mission.

8. Start the mission, tune VHF radio to 135400 and your intercom selector to 3(not needed.. was thinking of fellow crew members).. low & behold.. RADIO!!

Please note the tuners on the VHF are mouse wheel tunable.. under each is the on/off and volume controlled with mouse left/right button clicks. don't forget to turn it on and volume UP!

Thanks to pappavis for heading me in the right direction!

Obviously you can use each airfield for different songs.. sounds etc.. and for different coalitions in control of them.. Make sure to turnoff last song before hand.. this can even be used for other stations.. or to pass orders while you progress from airfield to airfield..

tested with UH-1H.

Edit: I did find that the Multiplayer problem exist.. this only works for the first person loading the mission.. sigh...

FIX FOR MULTIPLAYER BELOW!

Edited by Fuby
FIX FOR MULTIPLAYER BELOW!

You are of course not bound to airfields. You can place transmission zones on the map wherever you like and multiple ones in the same area.

If you just want to have a radio station playing constantly right from the start of the game, there is only one trigger of type "4 mission start" needed. Condition would be a flag you did not use elsewhere, flag gets checked false, triggering the action "radio transmission" instantly.

You are of course not bound to airfields. You can place transmission zones on the map wherever you like and multiple ones in the same area.

If you just want to have a radio station playing constantly right from the start of the game, there is only one trigger of type "4 mission start" needed. Condition would be a flag you did not use elsewhere, flag gets checked false, triggering the action "radio transmission" instantly.

True true ... was a basis for others... thanks for expanding..

I found this to work in Multiplayer:

RADIO- DCS suggestions by Sorcer3r works in Multiplayer by adding the radio to the radio menu F10.

source mission here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1746344#post1746344

it involves setting up a unit as a transmitter..

add the following to any unit at base or anyplace for that matter.

name it "Radio Transmission Unit" to remember it.

under waypoints advance add :

perform command

set frequency number:1 enabled checked

frequency 124

modulation AM

under trigger actions of unit add:

perform command

transmit message name: radio transmit

file: select your ogg music file etc..

check loop

now the regular triggers:

trigger

4 mission start Name Radio

conditions: none

actions: Radio Item add for coalition

coalition=blue name start radio 124am

flag 1 value 1

next trigger

switched condition Name: Start Radio

conditions: type flag is true flag 1

actions: AI Task Push

ai action "Radio Transmission Unit"

second action:

message to all : radio available at 124am

third action: Flag off 1

thanks Sorcer3r!

I was hoping the NAV radio could "follow" the signal this way... although it plays the music fine VHF or NAV at 124.. was hoping could follow direction to source of signal as well.. any thoughts there or not possible?

Edited by Fuby

I was hoping the NAV radio could "follow" the signal this way... although it plays the music fine VHF or NAV at 124.. was hoping could follow direction to source of signal as well.. any thoughts there or not possible?

"Following" works only on FM.

Maybe we get some day VOR-transmitting options for ME.

• 3 months later...

This is a great thing! I think the most fun I ever had in a UH-1 was a night (NVG) training flight, ARNG, about 1981, we'd just stooge around (I was cargo at the time) and the WOs would practice night ops. They happened to tune in a daggy old AM station as a NAV reference and for some musical entertainment. Anyway, it was a 50's/60's night, and "Wimoweh" came on.

The sound of the rotors and the summer night wind in the open doorway, the darkness, the warm green glow of the instruments by NVG light, faint smell of burning kerosene, civilization slowly sliding by underneath us, pinpoints of light on the black ground, the starry sky, and this old Pete Seeger/Tokens/Solomon Ntsele hit crackling through the ship's IC from the Alpha-Mike....priceless! Sometimes you never notice how much fun you're having until you look back. :-)

Would be good if your mission was to attack an area with a radio station, and you home in with the ADF, and just as the battle started, some just-right mood music cropped up on the radio. Wimoweh is the perfect musical irony for a heliborne assault. Not nearly so heavy-handed as Wagner. More of a David Lynch style!

In WWII things like this actually happened, commercial radio stations would get used as DF beacons to find places, that is until the enemy got wise to it.

About the same time as this, I was learning Russian at school, and we got taught how to sing "Podmoskovniye Vechera" (Подмосковные вечера)

That happens to be the station identification for radio Маяк.

So maybe some good ole' daggy 50's/60's stuff could get edited into a capture of Mayak, or maybe get lucky and capture them playing a great Huey flying song (anything by The Ventures, Pipeline comes to mind, but only works well below 150 feet AGL) or even the cliche'd "Long Tall Sally". But I think "Wimoweh" would win the prize.

Edited by sleat

• 3 months later...

This seems to function properly until more than one person joins your server, and will never function after that. This is using the f10 technique, which works flawlessly up until that point. I don't suppose anyone else has ran into a similar issue? Just to repeat: This does not work in multiplayer once more than one person joins, even using the multiplayer radio technique.

Version 1.2.7

Edited by Zolkowski

• 1 month later...

I can't get the ME to select the transmitting unit with AI Task Push in 1.2.7.. the drop down doesnt work...

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tested with DCS World (1.2.16) TF-51D editing a Quick Mission (no previous experience with this Mission Editor):

1 - Create a once-off trigger '4 mission start' NAME = RADIO

Conditions: * type=Coalition has airdrome,

Coalition = Blue

Airdrome="Current Airfield of trigger location controlled by blue"

Actions: flag on, flag 1

2. Create another Once Trigger name Radio Check, No Event

Conditions: type= Flag is true, flag 1

Action:Radio transmission, then choose <<>OGG sound file>>,

Zone='RADIO',

Value=AM,

Loop=on, frequency=139000 (KHz),

Power=200

Set on player plane the SCR522 VHF radio the button D for 139 (MHz).

Work like a charm, just need switch on the battery first. :thumbup:

Try with the low frequency Detrola receptor (200-400 Hz/Mc?), but despite his volume and tuning knobs turn in game dont work...

He is not show under plane radio icon in ME like the SCR522.

Use these "WWII era" broadcast: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&c=557

This isn't working for me. I'm not sure if I made the trigger wrong or if I'm not setting the radio up right in the Huey, but I'm not hearing music in sim. It works in the ME when I'm making the trigger, though.

Gaspuch62,

If you are around. Put a message text together with the "radio transmission" action, so you know if the triggers are working properly at mission start and the issue are with sound file.

I have a problem with a 7Mb one, need reduce the size.

If you dont see the message the problem are with triggers, delete then and make again.

Edited by Sokol1_br
mistype

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if things have changed since 2013 as far as playing music goes, but...

The only thing you have to do is use a vehicle to transmit the music or audio file you want. It seems to work fine in 1.5xx and I'm using files that are 15mb in size. There's really no reason for triggers unless you have some specific reason. All someone has to do is tune in the proper frequency and they'll hear whatever it is you're playing on that freq.

Place a single vehicle and name it whatever you want. I just use "Radio Trans" as a name.

You then have to add two advanced waypoint options:

1. Type: Perform Command

Action: Set Frequency

Frequency: 124 MHz (or whatever you choose)

Modulation: AM (again, up to you)

2. Type: Perform Command

Action: Transmit Message

File: (select your OGG file here)

Loop: Check the box

What I've found is that it works with up to 2 people in MP, but if you have more than that no one can hear it. I'm trying to figure it out.

Edited by BSS_Sniper

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

• 6 months later...

just an educated guess: may it be, that it only works for more clients, if the command starts, after all players have connected and game is running normal?!

can't test it right now, but i could imagine, that the initial command can "get lost" when it is triggered directly at mission start, while game is still in pause mode, or players are still in process of connecting...

• 2 months later...

i got it working by reloading the .ogg file and running an once trigger with some AI riding over a trigger resetting flags . Problem is that mission start doenst work and every pilot that enters the server makes the flags reset all the time.

Whats the best way to make this dynamic ?

• 2 months later...
i got it working by reloading the .ogg file and running an once trigger with some AI riding over a trigger resetting flags . Problem is that mission start doenst work and every pilot that enters the server makes the flags reset all the time.

Whats the best way to make this dynamic ?

Here is a Music Radio tutorial that works perfectly in multiplayer. Everyone can hear the songs even if they enter later on the server , it resets so it will play playlist over and over again.

The file is a PDF that's why i uploaded it.

HERE : http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=50522313222354927218

If the link expired by the time you see this PM me.:thumbup: