Barrel rolls with a huey ? is that possible IRL ?

FZG_Immel

I don't think a G load is what you should be worry about in a helicopter, what barrier you will encounter first is retreating blade stall, and this can be very painful in the Huey (main rotor blade impacting tail boom). For more lengthy discussion on the subject I would recommend reading this thread on PPRuNe Forum:

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/447900-helicopter-g-limits-manoeuvering-speed-r22-takeoff-w-gs.html

What does retreating blade stall have to do with the main rotor blade hitting the tail boom. I see no connection whatsoever.

Semi rigid then.

I believe it's fully articulated... like a Chinook.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

What does retreating blade stall have to do with the main rotor blade hitting the tail boom. I see no connection whatsoever.
High speed, aft cyclic, pulled collective, rpm drops, retreating blade stalls and flaps fully down to the stops, and doesn't clear the tail boom. Not a cause, just one of the factors.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

It's OK saying it is not aerobatic, but the real question is: what is the maximum permitted *intentional* loading of the rotor system (I'm not talking theoretical maximums - I mean what are you allowed to pull in normal ops that means you can fly it again later)?

It's like the Boeing test pilot who barrel rolled the 707 - it was a 1 g maneuver, so no harm to the aircraft whatsoever.

I get the impression that +2 g is pushing things in the Huey...

Another important factor in any flying is to fly smoooooooooth.

Best regards,

Tango.

G'day Tango,

There's no G-meter in the Huey, but as others have said the rotor system and it's limitations will (mostly) protect the aircraft from excessive loading.

Some other helicopters, like the Chinook, have a 'strain gauge' type of system which indicates excessive loading/vibration.

...Also a lot of regular maintenance inspections to hopefully find the inevitable cracks, particularly on a 40 year old aircraft. :)

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein