Whatif it was DCS World ?....

At his key note speech at the AVSIM FANCON, Robert Randazzo, CEO PMDG, mentioned the bright / challenging near future expecting flight simulation.

While Robert dedicates an important part of his key note to X-Plane10 and the work already being done on that platform, he also mentions other projects that are gaining momentum, and while not able to mention names, I have at least the chance to dream of DCS World being one of them :-)

We already know some elements of the PMDG (I believe Robert himself) are DCS users / fans, so, and also judging from the words of Wagner, revealing that there is a lot to expect from the future in terms of aircraft add-ons, I cross my fingers that PMDG, and why not A2A, Milviz, etc... will join this great project!

;-)

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

That is a topic I've been stressing in my frequent articles about DCS in PC Pilot magazine - that indeed DCS and DCS modules are a fantastic standalone flight simulator as well as a great combat flight simulator. Our readers at PC Pilot have a long history with Microsoft Flight Simulator products and it will no doubt continue to be the core of our topics. But over the years we've been incorporating more and more alternatives such as Rise of Flight and DCS.

I've been fortunate to be able to showcase some of the DCS lineup with six feature articles, and two recurring series training articles for the Ka-50 (6 issues) and the continuing series with the A-10C (we are now on the 8th tutorial issue next month for that). We will be featuring the UH-1H in our next issue.

Throughout, I've stressed to our somewhat civil aviation minded readers that something like the Ka-50 or A-10C is actually comparable or beyond something you'd see from Level D or Carenado products. Additionally, you have a whole interactive theater and weapons and combat if you so choose to use them. But the point is, you don't have to use the weapons or play it as a combat flight simulator - you can really enjoy it as a fine simulator in its own right.

I think great things are ahead for DCS - with even wider appeal and a broad spectrum of modules. It will be great when scenery or theater development really starts advancing.

Chris "BeachAV8R" Frishmuth

Full disclosure: I write for PC Pilot and I love DCS products.. <g>

That is a topic I've been stressing in my frequent articles about DCS in PC Pilot magazine - that indeed DCS and DCS modules are a fantastic standalone flight simulator as well as a great combat flight simulator. Our readers at PC Pilot have a long history with Microsoft Flight Simulator products and it will no doubt continue to be the core of our topics. But over the years we've been incorporating more and more alternatives such as Rise of Flight and DCS.

I've been fortunate to be able to showcase some of the DCS lineup with six feature articles, and two recurring series training articles for the Ka-50 (6 issues) and the continuing series with the A-10C (we are now on the 8th tutorial issue next month for that). We will be featuring the UH-1H in our next issue.

Throughout, I've stressed to our somewhat civil aviation minded readers that something like the Ka-50 or A-10C is actually comparable or beyond something you'd see from Level D or Carenado products. Additionally, you have a whole interactive theater and weapons and combat if you so choose to use them. But the point is, you don't have to use the weapons or play it as a combat flight simulator - you can really enjoy it as a fine simulator in its own right.

I think great things are ahead for DCS - with even wider appeal and a broad spectrum of modules. It will be great when scenery or theater development really starts advancing.

And Chris, I can only acknowledge the excellent read those articles in PC-Pilot have been to me! :thumbup:

Nice post BeachAV8R! I am curious. Is the majority of your audience into the button & switches level of detail on some of the civil type simulators they play? Have you had some feedback from any that played the DCS: KA-50 & A-10C? I wonder if there could possibly be a trend some day where there could be a majority that crave the HiFi level of flight simulation?

Just some curious thoughts that maybe you could respond to. :)

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

Raven68, I can give you my example...

Aerowinx PS1 was my preferred flightsim ever (and eagerly looking fwd for PSX!!!), until I finally gave up resisting to buy a military sim and installed DCS World and my 1st add-on - the Mighty P51d.

I want complex and accurately modelled systems, but this has to come together with a convincing / superior flight dynamics and overall physics model. DCS World gives me that everytime I start it.

I dream of being able to see aditional scenery areas, aircraft, etc...

Edited by jcomm

Out of the box, and using HOTAS and Track IR - flying an A-10C in DCS is a much, much more satisfying flying experience than whatever you do in unmodified X-Plane. I've bought both X-Plane 9 and 10, and frankly tweaking vs. flying ratio there is approximately 2:1 for me... and still it can be really annoying.

The fact that A-10C comes with mostly pre-configured controls on a Warthog HOTAS is very appealing, plus the fact that it works perfectly with TIR and a clickable 3D cockpit is also a great big plus.

I wonder if there could possibly be a trend some day where there could be a majority that crave the HiFi level of flight simulation?

The HiFi group will never be a majority.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Raven68, I can give you my example...

Aerowinx PS1 was my preferred flightsim ever (and eagerly looking fwd for PSX!!!), until I finally gave up resisting to buy a military sim and installed DCS World and my 1st add-on - the Mighty P51d.

I want complex and accurately modelled systems, but this has to come together with a convincing / superior flight dynamics and overall physics model. DCS World gives me that everytime I start it.

I dream of being able to see aditional scenery areas, aircraft, etc...

Thanks for chiming in jcomm. It sounds like it really grew on you as it did to me also. The A-10C really took me to another level. I much prefer this level of detail being modeled and for the record this is not to discount the LoFi sims, but just to get a feel maybe of how one grows into craven this level of detail.

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals

And Chris, I can only acknowledge the excellent read those articles in PC-Pilot have been to me! thumbup.gif

Thanks for the kind words. I have ED and the wonderful beta testing team to thank for a lot of the technical accuracy of those articles. They have endured countless requests for clarification from me.. <g>

I am curious. Is the majority of your audience into the button & switches level of detail on some of the civil type simulators they play? Have you had some feedback from any that played the DCS: KA-50 & A-10C? I wonder if there could possibly be a trend some day where there could be a majority that crave the HiFi level of flight simulation?

Our readers run the entire spectrum. We often get letters from readers that have just picked up the magazine for the first time and are making their first tentative forays into the world of PC flight simulators. Many times they are asking what kind of minimum hardware specs they should be looking for and good starting points for getting up and flying. To that end, we have a great staff of writers with all kinds of aviation background experience. Some of our guys and gals are great at technical programming details and scenery building, while others are great instructors that help people learn the fundamentals and advanced topics.

I think we have a large segment of the readership that really appreciate historical accuracy and depth of systems modeling. Level D, Carenado, Flight1, Aerosoft and a few other of the high end add-on developers seem to garner a lot of the enthusiasm. The spectrum of add-ons for MSFS is so diverse though: utilities, scenery, weather generators, aircraft, hardware, etc..

Regarding the DCS coverage - my editor has indicated and some reader letters have confirmed that they are definitely onboard with giving play time to DCS due to the complexity and realism of the modules. I'd say that right now two of the biggest obstacles to further inroads are the lack of detailed ATC and of course the relatively small theater size compared to the global coverage of FSX. And FSX is firmly entrenched with organizations that do online flying with realistic procedures (VATSIM). But we are making progress toward turning people on to DCS World..

Thanks for chiming in jcomm. It sounds like it really grew on you as it did to me also. The A-10C really took me to another level. I much prefer this level of detail being modeled and for the record this is not to discount the LoFi sims, but just to get a feel maybe of how one grows into craven this level of detail.

Agreed. There is a very special feeling of accomplishment when one gets into something like the Ka-50 or A-10C and performs the entire dance to get the cold and lifeless cockpit up and running. And of course that only multiplies when you get airborne in a hostile environment with mission goals. Pulling off a difficult mission successfully with all of the variables is a great feeling. I often compare the missions to a game because they certainly have gameplay elements to them. Embracing that instead of saying in mock horror that DCS isn't a "game" would work in our favor toward attracting more users to the genre..

Thanks for the comments..

BeachAV8R

• Like 1

I'd say that right now two of the biggest obstacles to further inroads are the lack of detailed ATC and of course the relatively small theater size compared to the global coverage of FSX.

BeachAV8R

I can see those being issues as well. I probably spend about 50% of my time in FSX, and 50% in DCS. If DCS had a globe, or at least more theaters to fly in and a decent ATC, I would be 100% DCS no doubt.

A lot of people I hear arguing against DCS usually mention the one, small theater we're currently confined to.

Overall though, DCS has been the greatest thing I've ever discovered on a PC to date. :pilotfly:

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

The HiFi group will never be a majority.

For any point of time that may be true, but tomorrow's low end will simply be equivalent to today's HiFi.

I know it's been a while but seems like yesterday since the original flight sims. Each version has been better than the on before. What seemed to be HiFi then isn't even considered minimum by those flying today.

Minimum settings of any sim released 10 years from now should be much higher than HiFi today.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down