Saitek x45 Woes...

Hey DCS World Community. I am an "old school" simmer that has been out of practice for 3-4 years. Last sim I played was DCS Blackshark but shelved it due to other life distractions. I have been around since the early days of Falcon so I know my way around the PC (at least I used to).

I am trying to get DCS World configured as I hope to get back into the sim world. I have a Saitek X45 HOTAS and I curse this thing all the time. The drivers are terrible and I committed a cardinal sin and now I don't know what to do.

Let me just start by saying the darn calibration is giving me FITS! I have experienced this in the past and solved it by nuking the hard drive and re-installing everything (I don't want to do that now).

Here's what's happening. Like an idiot, I dusted off the X45 after installing DCS on my Win8 PC and immediately downloaded the latest drivers for X45 and double clicked to install (I should have remembered this was a NO NO in the past). Anyway, I think I am hosed now.

The Stick calibrates just fine. I start DCS and go to options to see the controls and see that the AXIS config has the proper X/Y/Z elements in the right places. HOWEVER when I click on the fine tune option (whatever that's called), I see that DCS interprets my centered stick as being held in the lower right position (like I am in a right bank climb). Sure enough when I go into the sim the aircraft immediately goes into a huge right bank climb.

When I press rctrl-Enter, I see exactly the same thing. The sim thinks my joystick is pegged in the lower right quadrant.

One I exit the sim, I recheck calibration in Windows and it's dead on calibrated. :helpsmilie:

Now this is darn, darn, darn frustrating as I know this is all a driver issue and I want to delete the friggin' Saitek driver but I cannot see how to do it (it's not in the add/remove program option).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I swear off Saitek and say "never again" all the time. What other HOTAS systems are you guys using that work without headaches?

Maybe I chuck this once and for all.

Thanks!!!

mm

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

If you want to delete the driver, you might be able to find it by going to control panel>hardware and sound>and then device manager under devices and printers. From here you can find the driver and uninstall it, maybe fixing your problem. I'm not sure if the process differs on windows 8 as I use windows 7.

i hate saitek drivers as well i bought a controller if i remove it from my PC after playing a game itll freeze my PC and if i remove it while playing it BSODs or sometimes BSODs randomly when starting an older game.

youll need to go to device manager then Human interface devices find your joystick right click and uninstall, however this may not work if and itll reinstall after pluging it in again an even after turning your PC again

In that case youll need to right click on it go update driver software> browse my computer for driver software>let me pick something something>and select the not saitek driver and the windows default one, should be called HID-complaint game controller.

Thanks guys! I will give those a shot. If I have to reinstall OS, I will go back to Win7 in process. I really don't want that pain, but it will be a reminder to me. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

System restore point! I completely forgot about this nice little feature of Win7/8. I restored the environment to last Friday and voilà, no more Saitek drivers - brilliant!

Now I have to reinstall DCS, but that's no big deal since I haven't been able to run it anyhow.

Here's hoping the Saitek drivers were my problem to begin with. One less variable to worry about I suppose. I distinctly remember avoiding those drivers like nobody's business (a lot of good it does me now :)).

Regardless, I am back to a Pre-DCS system so I get a "redo".

mm

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Worked like a charm. I have now validated that my problems were the Saitek drivers. X45 works just fine with generic Windows X45 drivers.

Hopefully this thread helps prevent a headache or two for others down the road.

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 5 months later...