F-15C Autopilot Functions

Howdy All --- just got my new install of FC3 in, and been spending some time with the F-15C. Have been able to sort out many functions so far, but having trouble finding information to get a clear understanding of how to apply the various AUTOPILOT functions and what to expect.

I read through the user manual, and could not find any discussion about the autopilot functions or much on the behavior of the waypoints associated with the autopilot. (Route following). Also still trying to figure out how to change waypoints enroute (?).

Can anyone please point me at any source of information about how to properly apply these functions. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks --- Bob --- :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sim Box: Asus Maximus, Intel 4790 CPU @ 4.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX-790 + 5GB VRAM, Win7-64, 1 KW supply

To change Nav points is (I think) LCTRL + ~ (next to the '1' key on the top LHS of my keyboard) - am at work at the moment so can't confirm.

With Autopilots there are key bindings for all the Su-25T type modes for the F-15C (i.e. Alt Hold) but I can't say I've gone through closely to work out what works and what doesn't.

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

On the F-15 LCTRL + ~ is correct to change waypoint. I changed it to W.

H = Autopilot Height (holds your alltitude)

J = Autopilot speed (Holds speed)

A= Autopilot / I never used this one cause it makes me fly up and down all the time and keeps my plane turning by itself without following a waypoint. I'm probably doing somethig wrong myself.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Yeah, I've had a hard time finding documentation too but here's where to see the full list of controls in the game:

Options-->Controls-->Layer-F15C-->Category-Autopilot

I mostly use the J & H as mentioned. Another one I use if I still have some funky controls trying to take over is LAlt + 9 (Autopilot Disengage).

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Thanks !!

Thanks to all for the feedback. It still remains a mystery to me why DCS did not document the autopilot usage...??? Especially the "A" key that is just noted as AUTOPILOT in function.

Looks like one of those situations where you just have to figure it out by trial and error ;)

Thanks again --- Bob --- :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sim Box: Asus Maximus, Intel 4790 CPU @ 4.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX-790 + 5GB VRAM, Win7-64, 1 KW supply

Well I believe the 'A' key autopilot is designed to the waypoint follow autopilot, as in how the waypoints are defined in the mission. This would include the specified altitude, speed, and perhaps even arrival time. This is roughly how I recall it working in previous versions anyway, and somewhat dependent on hud mode. Like being in ILSN would auto you to the airfield and land itself.

Autopilot Functions

Well I believe the 'A' key autopilot is designed to the waypoint follow autopilot, as in how the waypoints are defined in the mission. This would include the specified altitude, speed, and perhaps even arrival time. This is roughly how I recall it working in previous versions anyway, and somewhat dependent on hud mode. Like being in ILSN would auto you to the airfield and land itself.

Hello Blkspade --- well, I think the key combination LAlt + 6 activates the ROUTE FOLLOW function which appears to make the waypoints into steer points and forms a route. I will try the "A" key by itself and see what happens. I have made no changes in my assignments or otherwise. Completely stock. Thanks for the comments :D

UPDATE: I did compare the "A" AUTOPILOT function with the LAlt + 6 combo and they appear to do the same thing. There may be some small difference but have not found anything yet.

Will post anything I find...

Edited by apollomaker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]