New FM update

TimeKilla

So, should I eventually buy this sucka mutha ****a? I've been hesitating so far, mainly because I've been reading your experiences (SOOO HARD TO LAND AND FLY OMG!!!) and waiting for the promised new FM to arrive.

Should I buy NOW? I have TM HOTAS Warthog (too stiff??) + Saitek Combat Pedals (center detent causes trouble?) + TrackIR 5. :confused: :joystick:

Do you like helicopters? Do you enjoy a aircraft that keeps you constantly at attention when flying? If yes then I say go for it. :thumbup:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New FM? ok sweet so I dropped all curves and saturation's to zero....

this bird's still like my psycho ex-girlfriend except that 99% of it's attempts to kill me is successful!

(edit)

I stand corrected! Started up DCS and the updater did it's thing... and here I thought I'd already updated the Huey. Had to add a 10 points to pitch and roll curve because of my ham-fisted nature and now I only die 70% of the time. My landings suck and my hovering... well I can't call it hovering it's more like a prelude to disaster but I'm having less difficulty than I had before.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be a great sim pilot but at least I'm enjoying every second of it.

Edited by Fuzzy_bear

hovering landing is way better , but still i can not fly straightly. huey always tries to roll left or right. but thanks anyway.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Do some of you think this helicopter should be as maneuverable as an attack helo? This is a heavy helicopter. It isn't that agile. Granted most of my time is in Schweizer 300s and bell 206's... I'd rather have it realistic than making it stupid easy for people that aren't willing to put the time in to learn how to fly it.

Im wondering if the FM will eventually display more pendulum characteristics? It seems controlling this thing is more like a seal balancing a ball on its nose, such as the huey is the ball. I find it tips side to side as if the cg is somewhere in the cargo bay.

From my own reading I was under the impression that the pendulum was more characteristic of the huey's flight properties. No knowledge myself though.

So, should I eventually buy this sucka mutha ****a? I've been hesitating so far, mainly because I've been reading your experiences (SOOO HARD TO LAND AND FLY OMG!!!) and waiting for the promised new FM to arrive.

Should I buy NOW? I have TM HOTAS Warthog (too stiff??) + Saitek Combat Pedals (center detent causes trouble?) + TrackIR 5. :confused: :joystick:

I have the same hardware as you and have no troubles with the huey, just takes practice.

My hog is unmodded and I don't find it too stiff at all, you're not performing surgery you're flying a helicopter.

Same goes for the center detent on the pedals, any gentle rudder management will be far enough away from the center to worry about the detent.

Im wondering if the FM will eventually display more pendulum characteristics? It seems controlling this thing is more like a seal balancing a ball on its nose, such as the huey is the ball. I find it tips side to side as if the cg is somewhere in the cargo bay.

From my own reading I was under the impression that the pendulum was more characteristic of the huey's flight properties. No knowledge myself though.

I'm no engineer but it seems to be there is pendulum effect there, but since the body of the pendulum (huey) has so much mass it drags the rotor around a bit, hence the ball on a seal effect.

To me that seems right.. but then again I'm not a real pilot in any way shape or form, just my 2 cents.

Edited by Nubbit

Originally Posted by FreeFall viewpost.gif

Should I buy NOW? I have TM HOTAS Warthog (too stiff??) + Saitek Combat Pedals (center detent causes trouble?) + TrackIR 5. confused.gif joystick.gif

Take it dude!! You wont regret it!! I played yesterday a MP Mission where you have to bring troops in a hot lz!!

Makes a lot of fun even more with the new FM!! :thumbup:

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

Certainly much more controllable on the hover.

I find take off you can simply pull the collective rather aggressively to lift off, and then just a little touch off left rudder to keep pointing where you want to is all that is required now. Seems like very little finesse in it.

Landings are a breeze, building top hopping is almost effortless in comparison to the last build.

I am not a real life pilot so can't comment on how real it is, and the folks that have been providing input to Belsimtek, and Belsimtek themselves have thousands of hours of RL flight time between them. If this is how it is then cool.

Edit: maybe I'm imagining it (placebo effect) but I'm sorta chewing it down reluctantly though, don't shoot me, this is still my favourite sim ever, just my opinion.

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Have been flying with the new FM some time now. I can land anywhere now, great. But here are some things I don't understand/I've never seen before.

- In forward flight it seems a bit wobbly. The whole helicopter behaves like a pendulum. Does this have anything to do with the updated stabilizer bar mechanics?

- Also happened with the old FM. In transition flight you sometimes suddenly gain or lose a lot of lift which results in either a short drop (almost free-fall) or a rocket-assisted launch upward. Should it be like that? Or am I doing something wrong?

'Frett'

- Also happened with the old FM. In transition flight you sometimes suddenly gain or lose a lot of lift which results in either a short drop (almost free-fall) or a rocket-assisted launch upward. Should it be like that? Or am I doing something wrong?

happened to me a couple of times.. thought it was gusts

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

You need to use a little right pedal, it's explained earlier why (works that way in the real thing). That basically makes the ball on the slip indicator centred and stops the wobbling. You will still need to make an adjustment here and there just like in the real heli, but this is nothing compared to the old FM.

You need to use a little right pedal, it's explained earlier why (works that way in the real thing). That basically makes the ball on the slip indicator centred and stops the wobbling. You will still need to make an adjustment here and there just like in the real heli, but this is nothing compared to the old FM.

This only occurs with the new FM. It's only a small effect that I see with or without input.

happened to me a couple of times.. thought it was gusts

It happens with zero wind as well. I don't know what it is but I don't believe that it is realistic.

'Frett'

Do some of you think this helicopter should be as maneuverable as an attack helo? This is a heavy helicopter. It isn't that agile. Granted most of my time is in Schweizer 300s and bell 206's... I'd rather have it realistic than making it stupid easy for people that aren't willing to put the time in to learn how to fly it.

Uhm ... but what about the fact that it is now more realistic AND easier?

I can't comment on how severe the drop/lift should be but yes it should be like that I believe.

What's happening when transferring from hover to translational lift is that the rotor blades start constantly chopping into fresh air, and also hitting the air faster than when in a hover. (Think waving your hand outside a car window when stationary and then when driving 90 mph.)

The increased relative speed of the rotor to the air translates into increased lift, hence the helicopter will suddenly climb a lot more when entering translational lift.

If you reverse the whole process and drop the airspeed, going from forward flight into a hover, the rotor blades lose a lot of their efficiency once again, requiring more pitch to keep the lift.

If you don't judge the application of collective to add properly, when the rotor loses all that delicious translational lift it drops like a brick, likely even dropping you into VRS.

So basically no, afaik you're not doing anything wrong, you just need to get more flying in and learn to anticipate the transitions inbetween different stages of flight (IGE, OGE, translational lift, etc).

Edited by Nubbit

Well done Belsimtek,

I personally really like the new FM as the swaying from left to right at speed is either nonexistent or gone altogether,as it was a nightmare for me trying to keep it flying in a straight line. :thumbup:

Landings feel a lot more precise now and flying the Huey is generally a lot more enjoyable and even feels more realistic to me somehow,even though I have zero experience with helicopters.

I've hardly blown anything up at all so far,I'm enjoying myself too much just flying about trying to master this wonderful sim,awesome stuff. :thumbup:

cheers,

Mick. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Keep the faith

AMD PHENOM II X 4 955be @3.2 GHZ | ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO mb | Corsair XMS3-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory | Nvidea GTX 580 GDDR5 GPU | CNPS9900 NT cooler | Corsair HX850W psu | Seagate Barracuda 500GB HD 300 MBps - 7200 rpm | WIN 7 64bit | 32" HD LCD TV | 5.1 surround sound | wireless keyboard and mouse | Saitek x45 hotas.

Agreed that it is a much more rounded experience since the update, and she now only slaps you in the face you if you mistreat her rather than ripping your head off like it used to with the older flight model :)

Thanks for all your efforts.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This may be a bad place to post this, but I didn't think it deserved a new thread. I may be losing my mind, but I was just flying the landing practice training mission and after crashing a couple times I started to wonder if the game was using the old flight model somehow. I was having a lot of difficulty losing speed and altitude at a controlled rate, and during hover and taxi I was all over the place. so I generated a fast mission and had no problem landing relatively safely multiple times, and hover/taxi and flight were as I expected for the new FM. Has anyone else experienced this? I really doubt it's true, but it sure felt like it.

I updated yesterday before starting and tested the new flight model then, and today it is still working as expected when I start a fast mission. It feels like the old FM in the training landing solo practice mission. It's possible I'm going crazy though.