New FM update

TimeKilla

- Also happened with the old FM. In transition flight you sometimes suddenly gain or lose a lot of lift which results in either a short drop (almost free-fall) or a rocket-assisted launch upward. Should it be like that? Or am I doing something wrong?

Nubbit gave a nice explanation there.

When you are coming in to land, and have your rate of decent under control as well you a gradual reduction in speed, you will find that you reach a threshold where all of a sudden your rate of decent increases dramatically (as per Nubbits explanation). Try it at a few hundred feet above the ground so you have time to recover.

If you don't catch this you are doomed :)

The trick is to anticipate this transition and manage it with collective and slight rudder.

What works for me is watching the airspeed. When it is decreasing gradually things start to rattle and roll around 30kts, and as you hit about 20kts she will fly like a a concrete block if you have not adjusted the collective accordingly.

So anticipate the drop or loss of lift as your enter the transition, makes life easier and manage it with the collective.

Edited by Vlerkies

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nubbit gave a nice explanation there.

When you are coming in to land, and have your rate of decent under control as well you a gradual reduction in speed, you will find that you reach a threshold where all of a sudden your rate of decent increases dramatically (as per Nubbits explanation). Try it at a few hundred feet above the ground so you have time to recover.

If you don't catch this you are doomed :)

The trick is to anticipate this transition and manage it with collective and slight rudder.

What works for me is watching the airspeed. When it is decreasing gradually things start to rattle and roll around 30kts, and as you hit about 20kts she will fly like a a concrete block if you have not adjusted the collective accordingly.

So anticipate the drop or loss of lift as your enter the transition, makes life easier and manage it with the collective.

This is something that happens everytime and is normal. I'm talking about random 'ups and downs' usually accompanied by a kick to either side during transition flight. It feels like an unnaturally aggressive movement that requires no input and is so fast that it cannot be compensated for. It happens while flying at a constant speed in transition as well. I will try to reproduce it in a track and post it in the bugs & problems section, although I'm not sure if it is a problem or a bug...

Again: I'm not talking about the ballooning or sudden loss of lift after speed has decreased while transitioning from FF to hover. I've learnt how to correct for that. In fact it's not that much different from the Ka-50, except for rudder use...

Edited by TurboHog
  • Like 1

'Frett'

Ahh ok cool, my mistake.

Next time it happens lets see the track. Can't say I have experienced this type of effect myself but then again its rumbling so much I may just not be noticing it.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

This is something that happens everytime and is normal. I'm talking about random 'ups and downs' usually accompanied by a kick to either side during transition flight. It feels like an unnaturally aggressive movement that requires no input and is so fast that it cannot be compensated for. It happens while flying at a constant speed in transition as well. I will try to reproduce it in a track and post it in the bugs & problems section, although I'm not sure if it is a problem or a bug...

Again: I'm not talking about the ballooning or sudden loss of lift after speed has decreased while transitioning from FF to hover. I've learnt how to correct for that. In fact it's not that much different from the Ka-50, except for rudder use...

If you're talking about what I think you are, I'm pretty sure this is being addressed. Fix should appear for you soon.

Cheers.

But is he talking about the same thing I'm thinking about, since I might have experienced the same thing? I kind of think it might be the guy on my left kicking at the controls every now and then. He used to mess with the controls whenever I tried precision maneuvers but now that he's pretty much stopped that he's just found a new way to keep me on my toes.

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

If this is how the Huey flew before this update we would have lost more choppers to pilot error than to the VC/NVA IMO. My moms boyfriend is a former Huey pilot and his best friend was his door gunner. I let him sit down for another test flight lastnight and he said with the update its much better and closer to how the real Huey handles. He showed me a movie of them flying where he took off in a perfect stable hover rotated 180 degrees and transitioned into forward flight about 8 ft off the ground. It looked almost effortless. So we both think the update did some real good to the fm.

Yes! I think this is what it is suppose to be. More stable and doable little movements.

Thanks Belsimtek.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

But is he talking about the same thing I'm thinking about, since I might have experienced the same thing? I kind of think it might be the guy on my left kicking at the controls every now and then. He used to mess with the controls whenever I tried precision maneuvers but now that he's pretty much stopped that he's just found a new way to keep me on my toes.

This is what I was talking about.

Cheers.

If this is how the Huey flew before this update we would have lost more choppers to pilot error than to the VC/NVA IMO. My moms boyfriend is a former Huey pilot and his best friend was his door gunner. I let him sit down for another test flight lastnight and he said with the update its much better and closer to how the real Huey handles. He showed me a movie of them flying where he took off in a perfect stable hover rotated 180 degrees and transitioned into forward flight about 8 ft off the ground. It looked almost effortless. So we both think the update did some real good to the fm.

I can do the with the new fm and I could do that with the old very easely. I think the most delicate part to master is the transition from translational lift to hover and the VRS

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

How do I know if I have the latest Huey update?

In the DCS main screen, you'll find the version number in the bottom right corner. The current release, including the updated Huey flight model, is 1.2.4.12179

Having spent some time with this, I can say that this is the best feeling of 'flight' in 30 years of Sim-ing. Awesome job Belsimtek!

Absolutely! :thumbup:

Although in my case we might have to scrape some 10 years from that number as far as my active days of flight simming are concerned. :)