Going back to the Shark after the Huey

dotChuckles

Anyone else noticed this...?

I used to pretty much wobble about the sky in the KA-50, uncoordinated and messy. I could just about bring my weapons to bear on something and then go and belly flop on a FARP.

However, now since I've been learning to fly the Huey, which I can barely keep in check and flying the way I want it. When I jumped back into the shark, I can fly it like a pro.

Laser accurate, deadly, where I want it all times and looking good while I do it too. Even the once idiotic autopilot now makes sense and actually helps me fly, rather then try and fight the Shark into a hillside.

So the question... is the Huey that much of a handful to keep up? Or is it that somewhere along the way the Huey has taught me some fundamentals about helicopter control?

Also, if you are still having bother... this video from Furia40 gave me the biggest advance in technique.

Anyone else noticed this...?

I used to pretty much wobble about the sky in the KA-50, uncoordinated and messy. I could just about bring my weapons to bear on something and then go and belly flop on a FARP.

However, now since I've been learning to fly the Huey, which I can barely keep in check and flying the way I want it. When I jumped back into the shark, I can fly it like a pro.

Laser accurate, deadly, where I want it all times and looking good while I do it too. Even the once idiotic autopilot now makes sense and actually helps me fly, rather then try and fight the Shark into a hillside.

So the question... is the Huey that much of a handful to keep up? Or is it that somewhere along the way the Huey has taught me some fundamentals about helicopter control?

Also, if you are still having bother... this video from Furia40 gave me the biggest advance in technique.

Edited by dotChuckles

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I considered myself a master in the KA-50, could do anything. Backward landing on a moving ship was no problem.

I experience quite the opposite. It feels and looks terrible, flying the Shark. Flying the Huey is now getting really 'pro'.

'Frett'

I've started to having some skills that couldn't do them before Huey. :)

I'm astonished that somehow my landings and maneuvers are now very easy, quick, courageous and like a pro. :)p

Of course that doesn't mean I'm a pro or very skilled pilot. It's just Huey's flight model. :D

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I guess it's a bit of both. :)

Flying the Shark without stability augmentation should feel quite a bit like flying the Huey because the latter simply doesn't feature any of that fancy, modern SAS stuff.

I've flown the Shark extensively in the past and have come to appreciate the autopilot before getting hands on the Huey, but now I can appreciate the Shark and how it reduces my workload even more. :)

One funny observation I had is: I trim the Black Shark western style, holding down trim during maneuvers, and I trim the Huey eastern style, with lots of consecutive trims. With my setup (Warthog), this just feels best to me. :music_whistling:

I'm really curious to find out whether learning to fly the Huey will make it easier to fly future helicopters like the Mi-8. In retrospect, all my hours of flying the Shark didn't seem to prepare me for the Huey all that much.

...all my hours of flying the Shark didn't seem to prepare me for the Huey all that much.
Definitely. When first fly with Huey, I said myself same things;

"Oh my! Didn't I learn anything about controlling a helicopter?!" or "I wish I had flied Ka-50 without AP channels." :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

I considered myself a master in the KA-50, could do anything. Backward landing on a moving ship was no problem.

I experience quite the opposite. It feels and looks terrible, flying the Shark. Flying the Huey is now getting really 'pro'.

exactly..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

I trim the Black Shark western style, holding down trim during maneuvers, and I trim the Huey eastern style, with lots of consecutive trims.

Same here man; doesn't make a lot of sense but it works. I also don't use central position trimmer in the KA but the Huey I do.

No need for that trimmer if ya take the big spring from the Warthog stick, done mine and now I can put the stick forward and leave it there.

The thing I hate about the Shark is no tail rotor.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

I only started with the BS a few weeks before the Huey came out. I tried it already way earlier a few times, but the BS always tried - and succeeded - to kill me.

Now, I got a bit more proficient with the Huey (my landings are still ... "creative"). When I now get into the BS again, it feels, well, so sluggish. More stable, yes, but therefore not as agile like the Huey. But I guess, that's what the Flight Director Mode is for (before, I never really used it). All in all, I think that flying the Huey improved my grip on the BS a bit. But perhaps that is just because I got some more heli training in general. ;)

I love both. The Huey for it's agility in flight and the BS for the ability to dish out with some serious firepower.

Same here man; doesn't make a lot of sense but it works. I also don't use central position trimmer in the KA but the Huey I do.

Yup, same here once more. :)

No need for that trimmer if ya take the big spring from the Warthog stick, done mine and now I can put the stick forward and leave it there.

So it's like the Force Trim switch actually does something for you. :)

Personally, the thing I love about the Shark is no tail rotor. :D

I love both. The Huey for it's agility in flight and the BS for the ability to dish out with some serious firepower.

Absolutely agree!

With the Shark, I had soon developed a "feeling" for the aircraft. I could tell from the feel of it whether it was heavily loaded and I think I could even tell whether is was tanked up or almost dry just by its behavior.

I'm now beginning to get the same feeling for the Huey. I think one of my problems is that most training mission have you flying a light aircraft, whereas campaign missions add some weight (weapons and troops) that changes how the Huey behaves during the transition from forward flight back to a hover - a heavy chopper needs a lot more collective a lot faster than a light one. But I'm slowly getting there.

I just love how the brain starts to adept to the new environment. :)

The problem with this solution is I play a lot of different simulators; while it would be better for Huey (possibly) it would ruin using the stick for the others. I have a new Saitek (X-52 pro) laying around collecting dust, it may have to be my Huey stick. Honestly I don't have any issues with how firm the warthog is; could be because I work with my hands all day.

I only once or twice flew the shark without AP channels (they had disabled themselves due to damage). Landing was pretty hard, but I didn't experience the same shaking and sudden loss of lift that make the Huey so tricky.

Yea, this was the first thing I noticed when I came back to Akula. Can anyone elaborate that?

Huey and Black Shark are still my favourite modules. The A-10C is great also I guess but doesn't have that 'I'm trying to kill you' factor.

Perhaps the buffeting through ETL should be turned down in the Huey - at least the cockpit shake effect - more of a vibration and turbulence effect would be nice instead of the lurching. It's still in beta though so hard to tell.

The difference between the two could be related to the rotors. They are worlds apart with Huey having two very large noisy foils that might cause a lot more buffeting... just an idea.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

The difference between the two could be related to the rotors. They are worlds apart with Huey having two very large noisy foils that might cause a lot more buffeting... just an idea.

...could be

Another thing I noticed when going back to the KA-50 from the Huey is that in the KA-50 it's harder to see around you no looking behind at all.

The KA-50 is meant to be an attack helicopter and very manoeuvrable but to me it feels like a brick even with hardly any fuel and no weapons then you jump in the Huey and that to me feels the way the shark should even with AP channels off the KA-50 feels like a brick.

Don't get me wrong I still love the KA-50, it's deadly but as it's not being updated or anything for awhile. I find myself spending all my time in the Huey and get so much more enjoyment out of the Huey end up feeling yeah this is the way it's meant to be. :pilotfly:

:joystick: YouTube :pilotfly:

TimeKilla on Flight Sims over at YouTube.

My primary module was always the shark but i love it even more after some time on the huey. i also using more the high maneuverability with the deac AP channels.

its simply a warmachine with a lot of power!

you can loop, make barrel rolls, backward loops its simply a great fun!!

I even enjoy BS 1.02 after all this years!! I have tons of mods installed that makes a different game WITH a great performance.

I also say that the BS1 is a little more tricky to controll than bS2. you loosing your rotors very fast.

The essential point for me to stay in SP on BS1 is the damn accurate AI. There severals AI mods out that makes friend and enemy AI absolutly deadly. Also coordinadet attacks with wingmens work really good.

long live BS1 :-)

:matrix: =SPEED IS LIFE=:matrix:

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/speed-is-life.html

Another thing I noticed when going back to the KA-50 from the Huey is that in the KA-50 it's harder to see around you no looking behind at all.

The KA-50 is meant to be an attack helicopter and very manoeuvrable but to me it feels like a brick even with hardly any fuel and no weapons then you jump in the Huey and that to me feels the way the shark should even with AP channels off the KA-50 feels like a brick.

Don't get me wrong I still love the KA-50, it's deadly but as it's not being updated or anything for awhile. I find myself spending all my time in the Huey and get so much more enjoyment out of the Huey end up feeling yeah this is the way it's meant to be. :pilotfly:

You might be comparing an empty Huey to a Black Shark carrying a combat load.

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

+1 How can the transition and the ETL be so different for the two helicopters?

Ka-50 = coaxial chopper, # of rotor blades 6

UH-1H = conventional chopper, # of rotor blades 2

Or that's my guess anyway.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.