Black Shark: Rotor control?

zorlac

Isn't the throttle normally controlled by by computers with newer (combat) choppers anyway? I mean the pilot only controls the collective and the pitch, and the throttle (engine) will be contolled automatically.

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

Isn't the throttle normally controlled by by computers with newer (combat) choppers anyway? I mean the pilot only controls the collective and the pitch, and the throttle (engine) will be contolled automatically.

Collective IS the pitch of the rotor blades, no need to say it twice ;)

But yes, the flight control systems now deal with the throttle automatically, based on the collective settings.

Guest IguanaKing

Yup...its still there for startup. The throttle has a locking detent position for flight, with usually a spring-loaded collar you pull backward while twisting the throttle to release the lock.

Brit, maybe Prinzartus was talking about the cyclic, which would be the pitch of the main rotor disc...as opposed to the blades. ;)

Prinzartus, don't forget the anti-torque pedals ;) ...VERY important in controlling your yaw, especially when increasing or decreasing collective. :D

Guest IguanaKing

Yup...you still need to be able to control your yaw. In the case of the Ka-50, and most other helicopters that use counter-rotating main rotors, yaw control is accomplished through differential pitch of the blades between the two rotors. You need pedals to keep your nose straight when you increase or decrease collective as well. An increase in collective increases torque on the airframe, this needs to be countered with pedal (whether the pedals control a tail rotor or a differential pitch between main rotors).

Collective IS the pitch of the rotor blades, no need to say it twice ;)

But yes, the flight control systems now deal with the throttle automatically, based on the collective settings.

I think he's talking about the pitch of the helo itself not the blades ;)

you know? He's saying all the pilot is worried about is the pitch of the nose of the aircraft and collective right? Im not trying to start something ... lol so the white flag is up dude I surrender man just was trying to clear that up cuz i think thats what he is saying.:icon_supe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need pedals to keep your nose straight when you increase or decrease collective as well. An increase in collective increases torque on the airframe, this needs to be countered with pedal (whether the pedals control a tail rotor or a differential pitch between main rotors).

That isn't the case with the counter rotating main rotors IIRC. One of the big helps of those blades is that they counter out the torque from each other so there is no need for countering the torque changes from collective movement.

Plus most modern military helos do this automaticly anyway, with or without the counter rotating main rotors.

Separate Controls

Just a quick question... anyone know if ED will be implementing seperate controls for Throttle and Collective in Black Shark? Or a "newbie" throttle and auto-collective system?

Separate controls would be flying helicopter with a HOTAS controller with the throttle axis reversed. Then you get the feel of using a modern throttle / collective simultaneously. Try it on MSFS 2004 on a Robinson R22 helicopter. You need pedals or a twisable cyclic/ joystick for the tail rudder /rotor. Practice Practice Practice! :icon_supe You'll have to fly a helo watch avionics luanch weapons and evade attackers. OMG...

the Gigler