Performance Guide For DCS World

TZeer

And many others have bad experiences (myself included) trying to utilize SLI.. For those that have good results, good for you and CHEERS!

For the rest of us with poor results, there is a REASON ED doesn't support SLI yet...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

This has been a topic for years, I dont have SLI, but I still try and find a way to improve FPS,,, been kind of futile unless I turn down some critical graphics setting, then it looks crappy. Waiting to see what EDGE brings, like most of us,,,then this debate will flare up quite a bit!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Well the only problem we will have is relying on nvidia to release an updated sli profile for dcs 2.0. Hope ED is nagging the heck out of nvidia for this. Also a new 3d profile....

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

This has been a topic for years, I dont have SLI, but I still try and find a way to improve FPS,,, been kind of futile unless I turn down some critical graphics setting, then it looks crappy. Waiting to see what EDGE brings, like most of us,,,then this debate will flare up quite a bit!

Seems in this instance turning up the maximum frame to "400" was the difference in this test.

If it is true why hasn't ED done this by default? Coffee Boy ??? :) (always look to U for techy type answers).

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 1 month later...

I get very low fps when I shoot with the cannon in MiG21.. This is pretty annoying as I dogfight with it. Is there anything that can be done to avoid this problem?

Thanks.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I get very low fps when I shoot with the cannon in MiG21.. This is pretty annoying as I dogfight with it. Is there anything that can be done to avoid this problem?

Thanks.

Easier to help if we know your PC Specs. Video Card and how much Video Ram it has is major information. Along with the rest.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

My specs look like this:

+ Core i7 875K 2.9GHz OC'ed @ 4GHz,

+ 8 GB DDR-1600 Corsair HyperX

+ Sapphire Vapor-X Tri-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5

+ Creative SB X-Fi Fatality ExtremeGaming

The memory bandwith is ~16GB/s which I really don't know if its too low for this game to run smoothly nor I could found anything written related to this.

So, after I searched the forum, I got to the conclusion that (probably) the Directx9 is the real culprit here. So I think I'll do what the rest does.. wait for World 2.0 and EDGE.. Sigh..

Cheers!

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

My specs look like this:

The memory bandwith is ~16GB/s which I really don't know if its too low for this game to run smoothly nor I could found anything written related to this.

So, after I searched the forum, I got to the conclusion that (probably) the Directx9 is the real culprit here. So I think I'll do what the rest does.. wait for World 2.0 and EDGE.. Sigh..

Cheers!

Turn down the overclock on this GPU and it should work fine, then wait for edge while U fly.

Edited by AtaliaA1

290 is a single gpu card Mustang....how low was the fps Amazingme? did have tested another fighter?

Intel® Core™ i5-2500k CPU@4.20GHz 64 bit operation System Windows 10+ Pro NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - Memory: 16.0 GB - 500gb ssd samsung - Samsung 27"SyncMaster TA550 monitors [SIZE=1][B]- [/B][/SIZE][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]TM Hotas Warthog[/SIZE][/FONT] Trackir4 - TM Rudder Pedals.

Turn down the overclock on this

What does that achieve? DCS definitely needs all the computing power it can get. F.ex. my i7-2600K runs at 3.4Ghz stock, but the performance is naturally much, much better now with the processor OCd to 4.6GHz.

That said however, there're indeed situations where you can throw the whole system off by OCing willy-nilly, because not knowing what you do may actually result in new bottlenecks due to the components not running in sync anymore! So "caveat emptor" as they say; you gotta know what you're doing ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The R9 290 is a dual GPU card isn't it? if so be sure to disable any reference to Crossfire with DCS or FPS will suffer.

I think the 295 might be the dual GPU card.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

My specs look like this:

Cheers!

Is Hyper Threading (HT) running? You can see this at the Power Tap in the Task Manager Window. If HT is activated you will see double of of your real Cores (4 without and 8 with HT).

AMD GPUs don't like HT. To deaktivate it, you must reboot and launch your BIOS and deactivate HT.

HT is the AMD GPU devil. Deactivate HT and you can nearly double your FPS.

And deactivate the grass clutter too. Grass is also a FPS killer.

I have nearly the system as you (R9 290X OC to 1125 MHZ and intel CPU @4.5 GHz. I play with 2K downsampling (is in the newest AMD driver), 2 x MSAA and 16xAF, forced over the AMD driver panel.

All maxed out only zivil ai is low and grass is off.

I am also using the distance mod at ultra.

I only get not enough FPS if many Buildings are around (37 FPS).

But this happened since some off the later patches last year. One patch gave me a big FPS boost.

Give it a try and deactivate HT.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

What does that achieve? DCS definitely needs all the computing power it can get. F.ex. my i7-2600K runs at 3.4Ghz stock, but the performance is naturally much, much better now with the processor OCd to 4.6GHz.

That said however, there're indeed situations where you can throw the whole system off by OCing willy-nilly, because not knowing what you do may actually result in new bottlenecks due to the components not running in sync anymore! So "caveat emptor" as they say; you gotta know what you're doing ;)

Please Re-read post.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 4 monitor setup with 3 monitors in nVidia Surround and the 4th touchscreen centered underneath in a T shape. Is this wasting memory that could be used better? :doh:

While reading through this guide I was wondering if I could get some significant improvements by changing my monitor layout. I would have to move all of my export viewports over to the right-hand side, which will be a headache. Which is why I am asking here before I do it for a test.

How much difference would this make? :huh:

h3jEuje.jpg

"Physically" I would leave my touchscreen under the center monitor. But logically Windows would see it in line with the others and make a smaller sized resolution overall.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Gotcha, got the two mixed up :) anyways, i'm plugging along very nicely with a R9 270 card as of now, it's crazy to hear of a higher spec version of this card range to be doing so badly in DCS, don't understand.

I'm running the r9 270x 2g and barely getting 35 frames in some areas on runway I'm getting 27, rolling get 36, in flight 30 barely. With settings at medium with high visibility, no vssa, tssa, mssa 2x. I can't wait until September for DCS 1.5, my 2nd r9 270x comes next week and I cannot wait to install it but knowing I need to set a profile to turn off 2nd GPU. But I'm wondering does DCS still see the extra video memory from that second card? I'm trying you're edits tomorrow will update on and charges.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander Jason "Punisher" M

Hardware:
i7 10700K 5 GHz Quad Core, Water-cooled , 32GBs 2400 DDR4 RAM, MSI Intel Z470A GAMING MB, MSI RTX 3080 GPU W/10GBs GDDR6X, 512GB NVME.2 SSD, 1TB NVME.2 SSD, 2TB External SSD, 2 512Gb SSD's & 1 350 Gb HARDDRIVE, WinWing Orion 2 Stick Base and Throttle Base, Quest 2, Windows 11 (64bit)

DCS isn't the driver of Video Memory. That is the responsibility of DX9 in this case.

Short answer is no the second cards memory will make no difference in the case of this Sim. or any DX9 Product on the market. If it did it would cost the application in bandwidth slowing down the system requests.

In multi-GPU set ups it is the extra GPU that enhances the Video Quality and Speeds those requests to the screen.

TomsHardware did a great article on How SLi Works here...........http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-sli-faq,4079.html#p3

Edited by AtaliaA1