Performance Guide For DCS World

TZeer

you vid looks interesting Mack - but can you provide a coles notes of your observations for the various settings and impact ... unfortunately, I have a short attention span to find time and watch 40 min of video :)

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

i think I mentioned that to him in one of the other threads he posted the video in.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The game engine is terrible. You will have to compensate for this crappy old excuse of an engine with super ridiculous PC configuration that is not justified in any way... It is a damn shame because the idea behind this game is awesome but it is very poorly implemented.

DCS is the best combat flight simulator.

Also all flight sims require very strong hardware.

Care to point us to a "better engine" flight sim?

give it about 2 more major updates... and we should be good.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

give it about 2 more major updates... and we should be good.

This.

With the imminent (and I use the term 'imminent' in the loosest possible sense) release/integration of EDGE into DCS World and all attendant modules, any discussion of current DCS performance is about as useless as a one legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen lake......

Just sayin'.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

But then... the current DCS is all we have. So what else do we have to do instead of waiting for the EDGE? If we go fly, we have preformance issues, if we mown about it you tell us to wait a bit longer...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

This.

With the imminent (and I use the term 'imminent' in the loosest possible sense) release/integration of EDGE into DCS World and all attendant modules, any discussion of current DCS performance is about as useless as a one legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen lake......

Just sayin'.

You're right, we should just all stop expected all these products we've already paid for to actually function, that's just crazy talk.

But then... the current DCS is all we have. So what else do we have to do instead of waiting for the EDGE? If we go fly, we have preformance issues, if we mown about it you tell us to wait a bit longer...

+1 This is after all our passion.

Who is to say the performance tweaks we discuss and apply will not give us more performance from EDGE?

Not one of us is just going to sit on EDGE. We will try to get enhancements from it too if possible.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Wondering what could cause this FPS loss during mission. I was playing some campaign missions and pretty much always on those bigger missions the FPS has bogged down to 5-8fps when i'm done with it.

It starts at 60fps and slowly starts bogging down when the mission goes on. After it bogs down it wont come back up even when everything in the mission has stopped doing what they are doing or is destroyed. CPU usage is at 50-60% on 2 cores and the rest see little to no use, GPU is at 60% usage depending on situation and ram is at around 50%.. Quite odd? If its a small mission i can fly forever with no DPS loss :/

i7 @ 4ghz and 560ti @ 1000mhz core / 2200mhz memory so neither of those should have any trouble running it.

Edited by Grodin

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

• ED Team
Wondering what could cause this FPS loss during mission. I was playing some campaign missions and pretty much always on those bigger missions the FPS has bogged down to 5-8fps when i'm done with it.

It starts at 60fps and slowly starts bogging down when the mission goes on. After it bogs down it wont come back up even when everything in the mission has stopped doing what they are doing or is destroyed. CPU usage is at 50-60% on 2 cores and the rest see little to no use, GPU is at 60% usage depending on situation and ram is at around 50%.. Quite odd? If its a small mission i can fly forever with no DPS loss :/

i7 @ 4ghz and 560ti @ 1000mhz core / 2200mhz memory so neither of those should have any trouble running it.

Its a known issue, and reported, hoping for a fix next patch....

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

U R overclocked I see. Did U also enhance system cache by removing windows control of Virtual Cache and doubling the amount of Virtual Memory in the settings?

Although the issue is a known and reported one U could gain some speed and use back by removing those settings. Until a fix is found for it.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• ED Team
U R overclocked I see. Did U also enhance system cache by removing windows control of Virtual Cache and doubling the amount of Virtual Memory in the settings?

Although the issue is a known and reported one U could gain some speed and use back by removing those settings. Until a fix is found for it.

This probably wont help his issue much if at all... it is a true bug, but I am hopeful a fix will be worked up soon.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

2200MHz Memory? is that right?

A Reference 560ti is 4000MHz Effective Memory Clock or 1000MHz x4.

So either You've Overclocked it from 4000MHz Effective to 8800MHz Effective, which is Well Above the upper Limits of the top tier HyNix GDDR5 Ram Modules, or you're number is wrong.

1200MHz Maybe. But I Seriously doubt 2200, specially on a 560ti which uses 1GB of Mid-Tier Hynix or Elpida GDDR5 Modules.

Unless you mean Shader Clock, which is 1800MHz.

other than that, as noted above, there are some missions that have FPS Degrade over time in the campaigns, that issue has been reported.

Edited by SkateZilla

This.

Just sayin'.

There is no guarantee that EDGE will give better performance. Look at CBU's I use to have no problems with 1.2.0 and watching them in the MFCD with no slide show. Now forget it. Along with a big battle. If they keep adding more stuff to World to slow it down why would they not do the same with EDGE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

If they keep adding more stuff to World to slow it down why would they not do the same with EDGE.

There's a difference between adding more stuff to an old engine that can't hack it with modern hardware and converting an old game engine to use features of more modern ones that allows said game engine to better utilize modern hardware and reduce the bottlenecks that exist.

If EDGE won't improve performance on some level then its a waste of time, considering how bad DCS can be for people with very beefy hardware in its current state.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

I passed this thread to a friend of mine who was having issues getting a reasonable frame rate in game on his machine. He tried a few different things that were discussed and got some significant improvements which is good however he did notice one strange thing. He did his tests and tweaks in an A10 but as he flies the P51 quite a bit naturally gave his new settings a go with that plane too. He reports that he sees about a 30-50% frame drop when using the P51D eg 70ish down to 33-40ish.

Any thoughts as to why that may be and does anyone else experience that? or is it likely that simply the A10 is the oldest and most optimised while the P51 is quite young in terms of time in DCS World and still being optimised?

Thanks,

Stonehouse

P-51 is from like 2012 while the A-10 is what... 2011 or 2010? Not the youngest or the oldest.

P-51 has always been worst performing craft with the DCS label on it. I remember I would play with some friends and I'd scream my head off anytime the one friend of ours would spawn in the P-51 cause anytime I looked at it my frames went to crap.

Not all aircraft are created equal. There's no reason for it to be more resource hungry either owing to its total lack of avionics and that the A-10C itself contains plenty of eye candy externally. I put it down to optimization.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Never really noticed any performance difference between the P51 and A10C... I'll have to keep a look out for it.

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 4 months later...
I don't know why but my results are much lower, around 54fps

I'm also using Radeon Pro and using the following for DCS.exe which I understand are the recommended settings for it:

Tesselation Control: Force Off

Ansiotropic optimization: Enabled

Trilinear optimization: Enabled

Surface Format Optimisation: Disabled

Texture Filtering Quality and Mipmap Quality: High Quality

Texture LOD: 0

Flip Queue Size: 1

So is there anything else I can do to at least get my fps up to near what others with similar hardware are getting?

My RadeonPro

keep your

Texture Filtering Quality : High Quality

But

set Mipmap Quality : Performance

this solved my 'fly through the explosions fps hit'

2cts

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

The best "Quest for FPS" was done by this guy.

Very thorough 4 part series well worth a look.

• 1 month later...

Bad performance - Multi-GPU's and/or SLI.

Today I had enough.

Enough of poor FPS, jitter, wierd pulsating fps etc. I litterally was considering removing DCS. It was becoming unplayable. Very jittery and unstable 10-20 fps at max (When playing any decent missions with a bit of hardware on the map)..

For two hours I was tweaking, reading on these forums for best settings etc. Nothing worked. Or some of it did work for small amounts. But not was I where looking for.

So furious and angry as I was, I raged on my teamspeak and trying to convince a mate who wanted to help that there where nothing he could do..

I had tried everything!

He said, try disabling Multi-GPU / SLI.

:doh:

Thats right. I have a multi-gpu/sli system.. So I did.

It worked...

So there's that. Now it's smooth as butter.

If any of you have a stupid high performance system and a really low performing DCS. - Disable that stuff ASAP. :smilewink:

Also, I might be captain slow here. Im sure there's allready plenty of posts about it but here's another one!

System:

i7-4770K

8GB RAM PC3-10700H XMP-1600 800MHz

Nvidia GTX-690

Edited by <Grizzly>

Grizzy,

Not sure what the issue is with you SLI'ing those two cards. I am presently running two GTX780's in SLI and except for some graphics anomolies introduced via the last upgrade, I definitely notice an improvement in FPS. Now I will say that if I disable SLI (neuter one card) DCSW still works smooth, just with a fewer FPS. Perhaps it has something to do with your specific video cards. The major reason for me having 2 cards in my system is in anticipation of EDGE, as Wags has said it will be optimized for multiple graphics cards. I will wait and see if when it does get released if SLI actually has enough benefits to warrant two cards.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT