Simple Fixes

Post some simple things you'd like to see included in 1.12.

I'd like to see the meinit edited to include the realistic loadout mod for the hog and 33.

The network config should have higher default timeout settings. I don't see how lower ones help anybody, even with dial-up.

Any others?

• Like 1

Fix air refueling with F-15 to default to 315 with "begin loop"/"end loop" points and 220 for drogue/A-10.

Limit tanker bank angles to 30 degrees. Turn off "autopilot assisted" air refuelings with F-15 - or make it an "easy refueling" option. Oh yeah, get rid of the range cue in the upper left corner of the HUD as well.

When within 2NM or so of another aircraft, it appears that aircraft textures change so that aircraft become LESS visible when getting closer (around 2NM).

Increase range/accuracy of AMRAAM.

Increase ECCM and decrease spoofing of F-15 radar with jamming and notching.

HFFM for all flyables.

6DOF for 1.12 as opposed to waiting for Black Shark

Data link and map display for F-15

Ability to put client and player in same flight besides making a separate flight for client

Ability to change player aircraft when editing a multiplay mission without having to nearly redesign the mission

Oh yeah, release the patch! Last I heard it was in BETA6. So, it should be released soon, yes?

• Like 1

Rhen, I think you misunderstood. None of those are simple edits to existing files and at least one is not realistic. The F-15 modeled in LOMAC doesn't have datalink.

Fixes posted here should be quick and easy for ED. The goal is to avoid everyone having to manually fix their settings for stable, compatible network play and have realistic loadouts available for their a/c. There may be others besides the ones already mentioned, but avoid those that require code changes.

Fix air refueling with F-15 to default to 315 with "begin loop"/"end loop" points and 220 for drogue/A-10.

Limit tanker bank angles to 30 degrees. Turn off "autopilot assisted" air refuelings with F-15 - or make it an "easy refueling" option. Oh yeah, get rid of the range cue in the upper left corner of the HUD as well.

When within 2NM or so of another aircraft, it appears that aircraft textures change so that aircraft become LESS visible when getting closer (around 2NM).

HFFM for all flyables.

Ability to put client and player in same flight besides making a separate flight for client

Ability to change player aircraft when editing a multiplay mission without having to nearly redesign the mission

Oh yeah, release the patch! Last I heard it was in BETA6. So, it should be released soon, yes?

He said "simple" ;)

The edits suggested so far have been very simple text edits to .xml files - a lot of your suggestions involve code changes. Some, like adding the advanced flight model, are a looooong way from simple.

Not that we wouldn't love to see every one of them (I would, for sure . . . ), but most of that list isn't realistically going to happen even for Black Shark.

(edit - damn, beaten by a minute ;) )

• Like 1

Ok, but all this is "Pie in the Sky" because they're in BETA6, yes? They're not going to change anything at this point because, hopefully, they'll want to push the patch out the door without it having to re-enter the beta process once more.

Personally, i'd like them to release it before the end of the year, not a week before Black Shark is completed. Despite your claim of "simple" requests, ED is probably not going to change a thing. So, why can't I dream a bit? :D

Guest ThomasDWeiss

A simple RETURN TO BASE AI routine - after attacking a target with missiles, AI fighters would RTB.

There is nothing more annoying than watching a SEAD flight attacking a SAM site with guns and getting shot down.

I'm not even sure I understand what you mean here.

Are you sure the range cue should be removed? In any case, none of that is likely to happen.

If you're saying it should be fixed, I agree, but not now.

Based on what? (Thank Vapor ;) )

HFFM for all flyables.

I think I can say 'no gonna happen' to all of the above.

It's Beta 10 we're waiting for now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Post some simple things you'd like to see included in 1.12.

I'd like to see the meinit edited to include the realistic loadout mod for the hog and 33.

I'm pretty certain that this one isn't going to make it to 1.12 (we tried)

The network config should have higher default timeout settings. I don't see how lower ones help anybody, even with dial-up.

Any others?

I'mm bring that one up, it should be simple enough - no promises.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm pretty certain that this one isn't going to make it to 1.12 (we tried)

I'mm bring that one up, it should be simple enough - no promises.

Too bad about the realism fix for the hog, 33 and 29. It makes absolutely no sense to me to why ED would not want accurate loadouts available to it's customers when it would be so simple to fix. Anyone can LOPE their meinit, but that can cause problems online.

Thanks for mentioning that one, GG.

How about making the default connection speed 128/128? I invariably forget that one after a reinstall.

Well, changing the meinit can potentially mess things up quite a bit, so it would have to be thoroughly tested and it seems it is simply not in the cards right now. When it was proposed, pbasically, it was late in the testing period.

The default connection has been brought up, and it is certainly under consideration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, changing the meinit can potentially mess things up quite a bit, so it would have to be thoroughly tested and it seems it is simply not in the cards right now.

It's a no go. I accept that. But changing which weapons can be carried on which pylons seems to be pretty harmless. At least, the weapons/pylons mentioned in this thread. People have used the realistic loadout mod for months. Why would it need to be tested thoroughly? It already has been tested in a much larger group than all the beta testers.

Guest IguanaKing

How about those rockets on the A-10? Are we going to lose the LAU-61s and put the realistic 131s on instead? Oh...and the Willie Pete rockets should be available in every one of the 7 tubes of each 131...not just 4. Its probably not a simple fix though.

How about those rockets on the A-10? Are we going to lose the LAU-61s and put the realistic 131s on instead? Oh...and the Willie Pete rockets should be available in every one of the 7 tubes of each 131...not just 4. Its probably not a simple fix though.

Yeah, I thought about that one too. But the 131's aren't even modelled, are they?

It's a no go. I accept that. But changing which weapons can be carried on which pylons seems to be pretty harmless. At least, the weapons/pylons mentioned in this thread. People have used the realistic loadout mod for months. Why would it need to be tested thoroughly? It already has been tested in a much larger group than all the beta testers.

I agree with you in principle, but it isn't my call. :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Guest IguanaKing
Yeah, I thought about that one too. But the 131's aren't even modelled, are they?

Nope. LAU-131s aren't modelled. The problem is...the 19-tube LAU-61s were never carried by the A-10. The older version was the LAU-68, which was another 7-tube launcher, just like the newer LAU-131.

I'm not even sure I understand what you mean here.

Whenever I plan a KC-10 using "Begin Loop" & "End Loop", the tanker flys between these points in a straight line, instead of a loop. This is not what a tanker does. In an air refueling anchor - which is a race track pattern flown with left turns, the tanker maintains air refueling airspeed. As the KC-10 refuels NATO aircraft, there are varying airspeeds needed to fly with each aircraft. The air refueling airspeed is 315KIAS for F-15, F-16 etc, for A-10 it is 220. The refueling speed between the begin & end loop points is always slow- 220. It would be nice if we could either set the speed in the loop so it flys the appropriate planned speed or that the program can detect whether it's refueling an A-10, F-14 or F-15.

Are you sure the range cue should be removed? In any case, none of that is likely to happen.

Yes I'm sure the range cue should be removed. There is no such thing in the real aircraft, there is no magical laser range finder - radar or some other type of instrument that measures relative position of the air refueling receptacle to the tip of the boom. Radar is off before precontact as required by applicable regulations - for NATO ops anyway - I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about Russian/Soviet ops.

If you're saying it should be fixed, I agree, but not now.

Too bad, just a thought... :(

Based on what? (Thank Vapor ;) )

Just to refresh: you said this in response to:

Increase range/accuracy of AMRAAM. Increase ECCM and decrease spoofing of F-15 radar with jamming and notching.

Hehe, ok that's a very intelligent counter to my statement :D and that argument goes both ways, you prove it shouldn't - but first for the declassified stuff, just go take a look around the "reputable" websites out there which state the range of the slammer as somewhere around 20-30 NM. This is just passive guidance (INS) and accounts for motor burn to effective maneuvering glide distance on a non-maneuvering target. Lets say in a beak-to-beak merge with a closure of somewhere over 900KTAS(conservative), which is 15NM/min, & then lets take into account the speed of the slammer at 40NM/min with a conservative flight time (with missile retaining acceptable maneuveringcapability) of 20 sec which equates to a range of about 12 NM from impact point. This still equates to a firing distance of 17-18NM (still very conservative for an AIM-120B in a cranium-to-cranium pass and completely porked for an AIM-120C).

Here's another experiment: Build a mission with you in an F-15 at 20k, 350KCAS, with Turkish F-16C as aggressor and Russian MiG-29S in 30NM trail, same altitude & airspeed. Launch slammer in middle of RMAX E-pole envelope, about 12NM, you'll hit the F-16 about every time despite his notch maneuver and your radar breaking lock. The MiG, will usually defeat your missile in the same parameters. The APG-69 MSIP doesn't break lock with a simple notch and crank maneuver, especially if the bandit is trying to retain lock on the Eagle, (notch of <90 degrees).

Perhaps you can share some of your hard evidence with me that it shouldn't be that way.:) It appears that you're the expert around here and I'm merely the upstart talking out of some other orifice... ;)

I think I can say 'no gonna happen' to all of the above.

It's Beta 10 we're waiting for now.

Well, i'm still looking forward to the patch anyway. Hope Beta 10 is successful & it's released soon... perhaps before the 2nd week in Jan?

Whenever I plan a KC-10 using "Begin Loop" & "End Loop", the tanker flys between these points in a straight line, instead of a loop. This is not what a tanker does. In an air refueling anchor - which is a race track pattern flown with left turns, the tanker maintains air refueling airspeed. As the KC-10 refuels NATO aircraft, there are varying airspeeds needed to fly with each aircraft. The air refueling airspeed is 315KIAS for F-15, F-16 etc, for A-10 it is 220. The refueling speed between the begin & end loop points is always slow- 220. It would be nice if we could either set the speed in the loop so it flys the appropriate planned speed or that the program can detect whether it's refueling an A-10, F-14 or F-15.

Ah, you mean a racetrack. I have asked for this for both tankers, awacs, and other aircraft, as well as the ability to set cap/reaction radii but this require modification of the AI code and I don't think it'll be touched right now either :(

Yes I'm sure the range cue should be removed. There is no such thing in the real aircraft, there is no magical laser range finder - radar or some other type of instrument that measures relative position of the air refueling receptacle to the tip of the boom. Radar is off before precontact as required by applicable regulations - for NATO ops anyway - I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about Russian/Soviet ops.

Ok. I will check with someone who has the -34.

Just to refresh: you said this in response to:

Increase range/accuracy of AMRAAM. Increase ECCM and decrease spoofing of F-15 radar with jamming and notching.

Jamming is its own issue. Notching is modelled pretty well actually, I checked ... with a formula, even. Highly depended on your closure tot he target. Very. If you go slow enough, you can notch at a 45 deg angle simply because you're under the required notch gate ;)

Hehe, ok that's a very intelligent counter to my statement :D and that argument goes both ways, you prove it shouldn't - but first for the declassified stuff, just go take a look around the "reputable" websites out there which state the range of the slammer as somewhere around 20-30 NM. This is just passive guidance (INS) and accounts for motor burn to effective maneuvering glide distance on a non-maneuvering target. Lets say in a beak-to-beak merge with a closure of somewhere over 900KTAS(conservative), which is 15NM/min, & then lets take into account the speed of the slammer at 40NM/min with a conservative flight time (with missile retaining acceptable maneuveringcapability) of 20 sec which equates to a range of about 12 NM from impact point. This still equates to a firing distance of 17-18NM (still very conservative for an AIM-120B in a cranium-to-cranium pass and completely porked for an AIM-120C).

I'm not prepared to discuss numbers like that right now - not until 1.2. Yes, the kinematics right now -are- porked, but they're porked for all missiles :)

Here's another experiment: Build a mission with you in an F-15 at 20k, 350KCAS, with Turkish F-16C as aggressor and Russian MiG-29S in 30NM trail, same altitude & airspeed. Launch slammer in middle of RMAX E-pole envelope, about 12NM, you'll hit the F-16 about every time despite his notch maneuver and your radar breaking lock. The MiG, will usually defeat your missile in the same parameters. The APG-69 MSIP doesn't break lock with a simple notch and crank maneuver, especially if the bandit is trying to retain lock on the Eagle, (notch of <90 degrees).

The notch is working alright right now, esp. in MP, BUT there may be issues against AI, which is a completely different thing.

Perhaps you can share some of your hard evidence with me that it shouldn't be that way.:) It appears that you're the expert around here and I'm merely the upstart talking out of some other orifice... ;)

No, I'm no expert, I have no classified info or anything, nor do I really knows the physics of those things as well as I'd like to :)

For kinematics we have a program called minizap which we can use to calculate some very generous ballistic trajectories - meaning no interference form guidance systems etc ... it shows us how far a straight, unguided shot would go if it were a point mass ... the real ranges are actually somewhat shorter, but it is accurate for the first 30 seconds of flight or so. The applicaiton is written by SwingKid.

For guidance I dug up a number of research papers and the basic conclusion was that guidance isn't modelled quite so complicated as it really is ... there are some important details which need to be modelled to make it all proper :)

Well, i'm still looking forward to the patch anyway. Hope Beta 10 is successful & it's released soon... perhaps before the 2nd week in Jan?

Cross your fingers. We always think we have 'the one' and then we break it :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Toe-brake functionality with differential braking.

New Lua exports such as

radar on/off

laser on/off/force

ecm on/off

gear down/up and gear status 0...1

Lock on MUST have toe-brake functionality with differential braking!

• Like 1

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

YAY! Wish list!

For mission making it would be great if you could specify where your AI aircraft are to start mission at so the time it takes for it to Taxi to the runway doesnt have to be calculated.

A setting for SLOW or FASTER taxi speed

No AI Spawning or parking where humans spawn

No more traffic jams on air bases by AI

A 'lock' or per-mission template for placing units so you dont have to manually turn each one of them right or left to have them facing a certain direction (all default North)

A matrix showing what objects will attack other objects, at what range and a note about how the levels of expertise influence this

An option to have AI aircraft either go to a hardened shelter to park, rearm/refuel and take-off or, at the very least, 'dissolve' on their own after the expended their ammo so resources can be freed up.

Documentation that contains limitations of aircraft quantities at airbases

Ability to have end or tgt waypoints be driven by time or speed at any waypoint for strike coordinations

and a date with the fuel 1500 chick

Havok