New hardware

Guest Cali

Just ordered a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 (planning on o/c this to at least a 2.6, saw a guy go to 2.8. and a GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb.

I figured that this will hold me until Oct-Nov 2006. I have had my current system for 2 years but upgraded the v/c last Dec.

Can't wait to see what happens with lock on after it's all done.

Why you hate'n on me? Just say WOW that is a good CPU and M/B, that would have made me happy. Maybe you can try it again :)

and why don't you think it is?

Lol, just from research from when I was getting a new board, Cali. I'm not trying to bust your chops. Check this thread out:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=395826&highlight=k8nsc

Like I said, it might do very well for you. Good luck with it.

Well some people had success with it....and so will I. And you want to know why......cause I'm a rookie at o/c thats why. I will have great success!!!!!!

P.S I still love ya GOYA

Great Cali, sounds like a winner to me, hope the oc goes well and your fps and graphics are top notch. Flying online under DEY-BLACK-USA. See you in the air gents.

Thanks for the support

Just ordered a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 (planning on o/c this to at least a 2.6, saw a guy go to 2.8. and a GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb.

I figured that this will hold me until Oct-Nov 2006. I have had my current system for 2 years but upgraded the v/c last Dec.

I am running now 1 year with my Gigabyte motherboard without problems.

The FX-55 is running great all day long with FC and Panzers Phase II on multiplier X14 =2.81Ghz (@FX-57speed :icon_supe )

Anyway with my stock cooling and 400Watt power supply AOE III and MS FS2004 prefer multiplier X13.5 =2.71Ghz. (X13 =2.61Ghz default)

I was not doing FSB OC with changing voltage because I need to go another 2 year with my stuff.

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

I ordered an ASUS A8V Vanilla S939, the tests on the net are all different on this one, but I guess it's a good board after all. I don't really know what CPU to get now, because a 3500+ Venice is more expensive than a 3700+ San Diego. I'm confused which one is better.

San Diego is marginally better, due to 1024kb L2 cache, as opposed to 512kb on the Venice, but other than that they're nearly identical

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

^^ san diego is a good bit better than the venice, due to the fact that it has a revised memory controller and the san diego can handle all memory slots full and run pc3200 at its proper speed, the venice cannot and will underclock the ram to 333mhz/167 or thereabouts.

Anyways Cali, you will enjoy your hardware as it is the perfect platform to start Overclocking on. The cpu is not too fast and not too slow, and with a touch of OC, you will get a real nice performer out of it for a fraction of the cost of higher end chips like the fx range.

Good choice ;)

Keep us informed about how it goes and what the end stable OC will be.. ;)

^^ san diego is a good bit better than the venice, due to the fact that it has a revised memory controller and the san diego can handle all memory slots full and run pc3200 at its proper speed, the venice cannot and will underclock the ram to 333mhz/167 or thereabouts.

Anyways Cali, you will enjoy your hardware as it is the perfect platform to start Overclocking on. The cpu is not too fast and not too slow, and with a touch of OC, you will get a real nice performer out of it for a fraction of the cost of higher end chips like the fx range.

Good choice ;)

Keep us informed about how it goes and what the end stable OC will be.. ;)

Will due should be here by Friday.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

roll on friday :) should give you the whole weekend to tweak with it :)

also, what i said above about the venice not having the same memory controller as the san diego's, well that i am not to sure on, I think the diegos and the venice both have the new memory controllers, i know for a fact that the diegos do, but not 100% sure about the venice, but i just been reading a site that says they both have the same updated mem controller.

If that is the case then the 3200 venice will be a good buy if you can get 2.6/2.8 with it. That would be power fast for that cpu.

goodluck in however high you get it to...

roll on friday :) should give you the whole weekend to tweak with it :)

also, what i said above about the venice not having the same memory controller as the san diego's, well that i am not to sure on, I think the diegos and the venice both have the new memory controllers, i know for a fact that the diegos do, but not 100% sure about the venice, but i just been reading a site that says they both have the same updated mem controller.

If that is the case then the 3200 venice will be a good buy if you can get 2.6/2.8 with it. That would be power fast for that cpu.

goodluck in however high you get it to...

If I can get 2.6 out of it I'll be happy, and 2.8 I'll run up and down the street screaming.

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

LOL, would the running up the street be because of uber fast clock speeds, and that you will be extremely happy, or would it be caused by the fact that your cpu has went into meltdown mode and your trying to get as far away as possible before she melts her way down to china and detonates :)

EDIT:

Guess what your doing tomorrow :)

btw, you got Water cooling for it ? or you just using air ?

LOL, would the running up the street be because of uber fast clock speeds, and that you will be extremely happy, or would it be caused by the fact that your cpu has went into meltdown mode and your trying to get as far away as possible before she melts her way down to china and detonates :)

EDIT:

Guess what your doing tomorrow :)

btw, you got Water cooling for it ? or you just using air ?

1. Because of fast clock speeds

2. Using air as of now, will be switching to water in the near future though.

Hi,

I had a similar config, with an A64 Venice 3000 tested up to 2900+ Mhz and a GIGABYTE GA-K8NS-939 (with NF3 Ultra chipset, not 250), but I had serious troubles in overclocking. I reached up to 285 Mhz FSB via software, but I wasn't able to save settings on BIOS, whatever version I tried. The mobo simply refused OC. Maybe it was just an "out-of-luck" mobo... anyway AFAIK this is not a mobo for OC'ers, even though some people had some luck with it.

I later bought a DFI NF-4 Ultra D, and now my game system is rock-stable at 300 Mhz x 9. When I'll have some time I'll try to reach the 2900-2950 that I saw. Now it's just mothballed in a room, since I've not had enough spare time to set it up apart from some benchmarks.... what a waste!!

Back to you, if you were planning serious OC, you should have bought tested CPUs since not all of them overclock so flawlessly (there are shops selling guaranteed CPUs for OC) and I'd have chosen a NF4 ultra or ATI Xpress mobo.

If you want to stay low on budget you could buy an Epox or a DFI Infinity with NF4 ultra. They're good OC'ers and they cost much less than high-end mobos.

Just a quick note if your planning OC with Gigabyte: default BIOS doesn't show OC settings at all. You have to press CTRL+SHIFT+1 and "secret" features will appear.

Congrats CALI. hehe I did the same but with my sister. Although the system you got (and mine) aint the top models, it will perform healthily with LOMAC.

If you ever find that you still get long load times and stuttering, just get a second HD and put the swap file in it. Other than that I dont see how you could significantly improve your machine without blowing the budget.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Congrats CALI. hehe I did the same but with my sister. Although the system you got (and mine) aint the top models, it will perform healthily with LOMAC.

If you ever find that you still get long load times and stuttering, just get a second HD and put the swap file in it. Other than that I dont see how you could significantly improve your machine without blowing the budget.

I never had long load times and stuttering, I guess good for me.