New hardware

Guest Cali

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

thats cool to hear you got it up n running, least it was just a messed up disc that was the problem.

Now the real work begins :)

as goya says, memtest86 and memtest 86+ and prime95 is a must.

CPUZ says that my cpu is a newcastle, I have to check the number on the chip. And go fish the box out of the thrash, while I was at RuGG's house my wife threw it away. So that sucks!

dont believe what cpu-z says, especially when it comes to the naming of the cpu.

Do you know any other way to find out besides looking at the number on the chip?

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

here's alist of benchmarking tools that i think anyone who is overclocking shudnt be without

Sisoft Sandra.

Everest.

cpu-z

super pi

prime95

memtest86+ ( thats better than standard memtest86)

speedfan for checking voltages, temps etc

motherboard monitor.

3dmark 01, 03 and 05 as some do different things and its best to have all of them.

pc mark 04 from same people who make 3d mark.

and the most important one of all that will kill a pc if you do the highest settings test

LOCKON :)

all can be had from the internet for free, with the exception of flaming cliffs, which can still be sourced but wont run unless you have a SF key as you already now ;)

here's alist of benchmarking tools that i think anyone who is overclocking shudnt be without

Sisoft Sandra.

Everest.

cpu-z

super pi

prime95

memtest86+ ( thats better than standard memtest86)

speedfan for checking voltages, temps etc

motherboard monitor.

3dmark 01, 03 and 05 as some do different things and its best to have all of them.

pc mark 04 from same people who make 3d mark.

and the most important one of all that will kill a pc if you do the highest settings test

LOCKON :)

all can be had from the internet for free, with the exception of flaming cliffs, which can still be sourced but wont run unless you have a SF key as you already now ;)

I have Sisoft Sandra, CPU-Z and memtest, I have to wait a few weeks until I can buy some good RAM. Going to get DDR500 and hopefully eberything goes well.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Brand new to the board. Used to fly Flanker alot and then work became crazy. Have been thinking about starting up again and I want to get a system just to fly Lock-on. Any suggestions on a good price/performance sweet spot. Thanks

SOme 3200 venice cores have been dying due to high overclocks. I prefer to stick with the 10 x divider and stick with 250 for a perfect htt 4 x 250=1000

4 x 260 puts you over the 1000 ht limit and thats not cool. All this 9 x 280 crap doesnt sit well with me. Its not proper and nothing much is achieved other than a hot cpu, and a out of wack HTT, plus you would really want a 183 divider for the memory to keep it in check at around 500 ddr.

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3/ 2500k 4.4ghz / Corsair 64gb SSD Cache / Corsair 8g 1600 ddr3 / 2 x 320gb RE3 Raid 0 /Corsair 950w/ Zotac 560TI AMP 1gb / Zalman GS1200 case /G940/