Route Mode Next Waypoint

Tetra

Hi guys, sorry if this has come up before but I did search and have read the flight manual on the subject a few times and I am still at a bit of a loss.

Probably easiest if i reproduce the steps I am taking to demonstrate.

1: Setup a new flight plan of 4 waypoints on the Abris

2: Copy coordinates of all 4 waypoints to the PVI, WP1-WP4

3: Set DH/DT to DT

4: All 4 Autopilot channels engaged

Now this is where i get stuck, if I hit the WP button on the PVI and hit waypoint 1 then engage route mode the autopilot will fly to WP1 then it will switch to Route End on the overhead lamps, I am guessing because I selected WP1 and it has completed it's task.

However if I just press the WP button on the PVI without selecting a waypoint number then engage route mode the autopilot will not fly to any waypoint at all.

The flight manual suggests that to fly a planned route of waypoints you should just press the WP button on the PVI (doesn't mention selecting a waypoint) then engage route mode and it should then fly to the first waypoint, make a turn 100m prior to that WP, fly to the 2nd waypoint etc. until all waypoints are completed then switch to Route End.

ROUTE mode is enabled by pressing the “ÏÏÌ” (WP) light-button on the PVI-800 and setting the “ÌÀÐØÐÓÒ-ÑÍÈÆÅÍ” (ROUTE-DESCENT) switch on the collective to the “ÌÀÐØÐÓÒ” (ROUTE) position. The mode is disabled by pressing the “ÏÏÌ” (WP) light-button again or by setting the “ÌÀÐØÐÓÒ-ÑÍÈÆÅÍ” (ROUTE-DESCENT) switch on the collective to the neutral position. This mode is automatically disabled 2 km after passing the last WP, the “ÊÎÍÅÖ ÌÀÐØÐÓÒÀ” (END OF ROUTE), “ÌÀÐØÐÓÒ ÇÊ (ËÇÏ)” (ROUTE DC (DT)) lights on the overhead panel go off, as well as the lights on the PVI-800.

Where might I be going wrong with this? I just want the autopilot to fly my 4 waypoints in order and disengage after waypoint 4 is completed. Big thanks for any help on this.

I'm not sure autopilot does that functionality (auto switch to next waypoint).

If you flew Falcon 4.0 AF, the autopilot following waypoint will not resume to the next waypoint automatically. I guess the autopilot feat is the same. I know what you want to do, but it just follows the current waypoint. I think you have to manually shuffle to the next waypoint.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Manual entry waypoints in the PVI-800 don't seem to auto switch. They never have since BS1. You have to change the numbers manually as you have found. 'Automatic' flight plans are made in the M.E.

The BS manual does not match up with our BS, it never has, and with each DCS World upgrade it matches up even less. We read a lot of it for no reason at all.

Edited by JG14_Smil

You can set it up to follow an arbitrary sequence of waypoints in-flight. There's a process in the manual, and it's worked for me in both single and multiplayer in the last week or two.

0. Disable route mode.

1. Toggle whichever PVI mode you're in to off, so that there are no lights on the panel, and make sure the knob is in OPER mode.

2. Set the desired heading/desired track switch on the AP panel to desired heading. (You might be able to leave this one out—it's not on the checklist I keep by my computer, but I can't remember if it works without it).

3. Press the Waypoint (WP) button on the PVI.

4. Press the number button for the first waypoint in the route, then press enter.

5. Repeat for subsequent waypoints in the sequence.

6. Press the Waypoint button on the PVI again to turn off waypoint mode and save the sequence.

7. Press the WP button again to turn waypoint mode back on, then engage route mode.

The helo should then follow the new route, lighting up the NEXT WP light and turning as appropriate. I'll test this tomorrow to be sure of the procedure, but I can set up the autopilot to fly pretty much arbitrary routes automatically.

• Like 2

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

You can set it up to follow an arbitrary sequence of waypoints in-flight. There's a process in the manual, and it's worked for me in both single and multiplayer in the last week or two.

0. Disable route mode.

1. Toggle whichever PVI mode you're in to off, so that there are no lights on the panel, and make sure the knob is in OPER mode.

2. Set the desired heading/desired track switch on the AP panel to desired heading. (You might be able to leave this one out—it's not on the checklist I keep by my computer, but I can't remember if it works without it).

3. Press the Waypoint (WP) button on the PVI.

4. Press the number button for the first waypoint in the route, then press enter.

5. Repeat for subsequent waypoints in the sequence.

6. Press the Waypoint button on the PVI again to turn off waypoint mode and save the sequence.

7. Press the WP button again to turn waypoint mode back on, then engage route mode.

The helo should then follow the new route, lighting up the NEXT WP light and turning as appropriate. I'll test this tomorrow to be sure of the procedure, but I can set up the autopilot to fly pretty much arbitrary routes automatically.

AH! Yes! That seems to work just great :) Huge thanks for that, I presume that also means I can also switch the order during steps 4 and 5 to autopilot through my waypoints in whichever order I like ? Thanks again!

Just following up: if the autopilot is in desired track mode, waypoint ordering doesn't work at all. When it does work, the selected waypoint coordinates will disappear from the screen when you press enter.

After disabling waypoint mode to save the new order, I think desired track mode will work again.

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

• 2 weeks later...

My final report on this matter:

1. Neither route mode nor hover mode can be engaged when you're trying to reorder waypoints.

2. After waypoints have been reordered, desired track mode works correctly, and will fly lead turns when cycling waypoints as expected.

• Like 1