Multicore???

Does anyone think the new Tech will include better use of multiple cores?

posted by wags:

Work On New Rendering Technology Continues

The new Image Generator (IG) technology is currently in development and will be introduced to DCS World when it is ready. Elements of the new IG include:

- More detailed terrain.

- Better graphical effects

- Dedicated server

- DirectX 11 support

- Skeleton animation for infantry

Modded CapLoz HeliosV2.1_1280x1024.zip

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS:A10C,KA-50, Huey, Mi-8, WWII Euro 40+ Supporter, Mig21

Falcon 4 BMS

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Take on Helicopters

Arma 2 AO + PMC + BF All Addons Series

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Medivac & Search and Rescue 4 Series

There is no indication about multicore, but considering the latest developments in CPU tech, it should be a priority as we cannot expect single core performance to increase in a significant way in the near future, if at all.

ED has been more or less on top of things business-wise, so I would guess they will be going multicore at some point.

Common I know alot of people want this. Anyone else think multicore should be a priority post. We need support:thumbup:

2x 1080p 22"Monitors, Saitek X52, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 500GB Velociraptor

Flaming Cliffs 3

Falcon 4 BMS

Take on Helicopters

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Common I know alot of people want this. Anyone else think multicore should be a priority post. We need support:thumbup:

what does it matter what we think or want? ED has a set development plan based on their capacity/capability and they will stick to it , period. if multi-core optimisation is not included, as much as it is needed it will not be included

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Besides Multi-core they will probably be increasing the use of modern GPU's as well.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Besides Multi-core they will probably be increasing the use of modern GPU's as well.

That's what I'm hoping - and not for eye candy. From a position of relative ignorance, it seems to me that the sorts of calculations that would be done to run a flight sim (lots and lots of vector math) would be absolutely ideal to offload to a GPU.

Wonder if that's feasible/a good idea?

DX11 Utilizes Multiple Threads for CPU and GPU

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Multicore should be a TOP priority. Otherwise, we'll be left behind.

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

what does it matter what we think or want? ED has a set development plan based on their capacity/capability and they will stick to it , period. if multi-core optimisation is not included, as much as it is needed it will not be included

It does matter what we want. We are the customers. ED isn't just putting out a sim for their self satisfaction are they? I appreciate ED for all their development and I'm not here to rant. I'm here voicing my opinion as a customer. We don't need better models of stuff not that we don't appreciate them, but we can't even see them fly by at 15fps... We need better optimization/utilization I'm running a Quad Core! Thanks for reading. Thanks all of ED. Honestly I don't know if the DirectX 11 stuff is an attempt to add it. We will see later. I just think its the biggest priority not an extra feature. It just seems lately Ed is to adding - Better graphical effects - More detailed terrain - Skeleton animation for infantry. Do we really need more detailed terrain & objects or multicore support. Take my money I would be willing to buy the game again for that. I understand the updates are free, but I would gladly pay for DCS World 2 with Multicore support anyday. Anyone else?

Edited by thinkr

Flaming Cliffs 3

Falcon 4 BMS

Take on Helicopters

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

Yep!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DirectX has nothing to do with CPU usage, we have a big example here nowadays: arma3 is DX11 and it is not capable of using all the CPU cores properly, in fact the performance are pretty poor because of this bug:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=716

ArmAIII is also in ALPHA.

50% of PhenomII x6 is 3 cores.

DX11 doesnt make it "Automatically Use all Cores", DX11 Allows Programmer to easily make multiple CPU Threads Pertaining to the GFX, Physics or anything else that can use GPU's Direct Compute or FPU functions for..

Most Studios dont go above 3 threads because most people only use Dual/Quad Cores.

not everyone is like me with Two 8 Core Systems and a 16 Core rig.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

It does matter what we want. We are the customers. ED isn't just putting out a sim for their self satisfaction are they? I appreciate ED for all their development and I'm not here to rant. I'm here voicing my opinion as a customer. We don't need better models of stuff not that we don't appreciate them, but we can't even see them fly by at 15fps... We need ~

When you say "we", you mean "I" and if you're only getting 15fps, there is something amiss with your system... what is your system, exactly?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

When you say "we", you mean "I" and if you're only getting 15fps, there is something amiss with your system... what is your system, exactly?

From his sig:

2x LG 1080p 23"Monitors, Saitek X52, Trackir5, Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel Q9550 @3.8Ghz, Gigabyte EP45-UD3L, 8GB Ram, Nvidia 560Ti 2GB, 2x 300GB Velociraptor HD

Multicore in DX11 isn't really a priority. That's just the graphics. Most of the hard work is in the game engine. Assuming this is made in c++, c++11 has a ton of nice concurrency (multi-thread) features.

Considering the Graphics Choke when alot of objects or effects on screen....

I'd say GFX Threads is a Primary Issue

With a 780 I finally have stable 60fps at 1600p (they go up to 85 tho.. but almost never under 60) with mid-high settings (AA4x). What concerns me is not the optimization (whenever I recognize it is pretty bad), but the overall quality.. the aircrafts are amazing, but the whole rest (terrain and so) is like playing a 90's videogame.. even the first ArmA (OF) is better than this.. so I can't wait for the dx11 implementation or EDGE in general.

I just hope we don't get similar up and down FPS when more things are introduced on screen. I would like to see a steady 60FPS without having to dumb everything down. What's the point in more details if we have to set graphic options where we are not going to see those details?

It does matter what we want. We are the customers. ED isn't just putting out a sim for their self satisfaction are they? I appreciate ED for all their development and I'm not here to rant. I'm here voicing my opinion as a customer. We don't need better models of stuff not that we don't appreciate them, but we can't even see them fly by at 15fps... We need better optimization/utilization I'm running a Quad Core! Thanks for reading. Thanks all of ED. Honestly I don't know if the DirectX 11 stuff is an attempt to add it. We will see later. I just think its the biggest priority not an extra feature. e

Yes you are a customer, yes you have a list of wants for a product.

ED however has a roadmap and a development plan. That plan is based on capacity , estimation of effort required, ROI analysis, existing technical challenges and dependencies and such. Reason for giving one feature a priority over another is not "ehhh ,what do you feel like working g on today? Let's build wireframe". That developmebt plan does not change on the spot . devs most probably aware of multicore tech by now. Whatever priority a multicore might be for you , it will have a very limited impact on the shape of master dev plan.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Your right. You know noone needs multi-core cause I love 15 frames fps! :megalol:

.... (updated ok maybe not 15fps all the time... I do run fullscreen mode with Dual Monitors with Helios + SoftTH) ....

Theres no harm in asking for what we desire. Devs are the only ones who care about making good products not us... (This is not sarcasm next...) Thank You ED! I will keep asking Multi-core till we get it! forget it agrasyuk!

I see that Wags put optimization in the 1.2.5 update as a priority so lets keep moving forward... I appreciate your opinion. I'm sorry your realist perspective of the world doesn't allow you to see a world of possibilities that deserve to see the light of day beyond anyone else's substitute of control. Honestly I appreciate everyone for their thoughts and appreciate that mine may differ as theirs differ from my own perspective.

For me it doesn't matter how long it takes to over haul the engine... I would buy it! Hopefully others see a point too... I pray it wouldn't take too long considering all the textures an models look great & are already there.

Edited by thinkr
  • Like 1

Flaming Cliffs 3

Falcon 4 BMS

Take on Helicopters

Arma 3

EECH & EEAH

From his sig:

yeah.. I gotta polish up my (polite) sarcasm technique a bit :music_whistling:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"