How real?

jaykinch

Hi all

Just a little silly question really

Could I fly or almost fly the uh1 in real life now as this dcs uh1 as we all keep saying its realistic

So if the world was coming to a end and we got help that needs to be flown in and a uh1 is just sitting there what's my chances of getting into the badboy get her started up and flying the baby to get my help?

Or am I just gonna die here on my own looking at the Huey

This is only for fun the worlds not gonna come to a end so don't panic lol

Cheers

Jay

• Like 1

Startup and even take-off should be doable. Landing, on the other hand might be the biggest issue.

In that same vein, if I absolutely had to, I am sure I could land an A-10. I would probably bend it a bit but likely be able to walk away.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You might want to bring a GPS though. The first times getting in the air even around where you live, you might as well be on the other side of the planet as nothing looks quite the same from above. You can do it, but you really need to pay attention to charts and landmarks. It's still an uncomfortable feeling during the times before you get a fix on a location which will lead to a sigh of relief.

This is what I keep thinking about every clickable DCS module: "If there were a zombie apocalypse and I somehow managed to find an abandoned military base with a prepped A-10C/UH-1H/KA-50, would I be able to use it?"

This is also why I always, when first playing a module, try to start it up completely without help or manual :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is what I keep thinking about every clickable DCS module: "If there were a zombie apocalypse and I somehow managed to find an abandoned military base with a prepped A-10C/UH-1H/KA-50, would I be able to use it?"

This is also why I always, when first playing a module, try to start it up completely without help or manual :D

You're off your head mate :)

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

If and I say IF you get the engines started, we all know that the noise will attract every Zombie in the area to you very quickly. Your brains will be Zombie food long before the engine spools up to speed and you have a chance at pulling on that collective. ;)

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

It depends... If we're talking about "Dawn of the Dead" type of zombies, probably but "The Walking Dead" zombies? Maybe you'd have enough time.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, I was thinking that most zombies would have trouble with breaking into some of the aircraft. Like the A-10, they won't even reach up to you, let alone break the canopy.

Then again, as mentioned, it depends on the kind of zombie we're talking about :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The thing you would really have a problem with is any kind of pre-flight inspection. Unless you've done one on a Huey before and you have the cheat sheet right there you're going to miss a lot of stuff.

Even if there was a problem, could you tell by looking? If you don't know what a component is supposed to look like when it's in flyable condition how are you supposed to tell if anything is amiss?

It would basically come down to: Are the rotors attached? Check. Begin startup.

Also, what if it's out of fuel? Dead battery?

Pre-flight is for sissies, who happen to be pilots. We're talking apocalypse here.

Preflight....

Rotors on top, check.

Skids on the bottom, check.

No zombies on board, check.

Adjust for minimum smoke and start her up. :P

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Additionally, we would have some problems with starting the Huey, because the starter (or it's buttons) is diffrent in the real Huey compared to our sim.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

yes we all would fail because nobody would know how to start the engine

Never having seen the actual starter button in RL but having read the information in the RL manual, I am fairly certain that with a couple of tries I could start it up.

Pre-flight is for sissies, who happen to be pilots. We're talking apocalypse here.

Preflight....

Rotors on top, check.

Skids on the bottom, check.

No zombies on board, check.

Adjust for minimum smoke and start her up. :P

that sounds like the preflight check used on H53's back when we landed at Beriut at the airport to drop supplys and soon after we landed the mortars would start ranging on our position. It was lite the fires and who cares about the tires:D

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Hi all

Just a little silly question really

Could I fly or almost fly the uh1 in real life now as this dcs uh1 as we all keep saying its realistic

definitely NOT!

I really love the Huey-Module, but - it's just a game. A very near to realism simulation, but still a game...

Me and my Boys from my Squadron fly the Huey in real life (well, AB212). We all say that it's a very close simulation, (i tried my best to build a little homecockpit), BUT:

the very missing thing is the "Seat of the Pants sense" and the fear to destroy something ;)

And i beleive its almost the same for the A10, etc...

I also fly fixed Wing Turboprops, but i don't know if i would get the Mustang airborne - in real life...

In my opinion, this is the best and most realistic PC-game/FlightSim ever and the first one where you can really get a basic understanding of aviation, if youre not familiar whit it.

:smartass:

Yes, my opinion is that we could make it in calm conditions. I don't have RL experience from flying choppers but I do have from flying airplanes. Comparing to sims real flying is easier because you have ever button "clickable" with your arm's reach. ;) Moreover, controls are more precise that any of joysticks or yokes that we use in sims but forces are different at the same time so you just have to get used to them. Flare before landing requires some considerable force in some airplanes.

I found that flying in windy, gusty conditions is more difficult that in any of the sims I have flown. None simulated atmosphere properly and I have sim experience starting from Tomahawk on Atari 65XE. So flying Huey in windy conditions would be a challenge I reckon.

If you're a pilot you'd get the A10C airborn easily. A mustang would probably be a lot harder, but still... Don't forget how pilots were trained in the 2nd world war. If an average joe could control that kind of plane that soon, a modern day pilot shouldn't have much trouble with it.

And you did not give any reasons why -after mastering DCS Huey- you couldn't fly one in real life. You say two things:

-The seat of the pants feeling.

This is why flying it on the computer is harder, and flying it in real life is easier. So in my opinion, this is a pro-argument instead of an against argument as you're trying to say.

-The fear to destroy something is another pro-argument in my opinion. Taking things slowly and cautiously will definitly help you in flying the real thing.

...are you serious??

i totally disagree... all said

-The seat of the pants feeling.

This is why flying it on the computer is harder, and flying it in real life is easier. So in my opinion, this is a pro-argument instead of an against argument as you're trying to say.

It might be easier, once you get used on it. Before that your brain will be just overloaded with sensory inputs its not used to and would take lot of cognitive power for you to sort.

Rememer your first time driving a car? You might have had all the theory background and 'sim' experience, once the car started moving you had the feeling that even 20kph is too fast. And trying to perform even the most basic things, like gear shifting, required all of your attention.