How real?

jaykinch

i agree with outlawal2

don't expect to fly the real thing if you master your sim in your computer

but the sim will give you how the real thing most of the time response to the RL;)

however in some cases like a friend of mine was flying PMDG 737NGX for two years

and when he enters the real cockpit simulator he manage to land the aircraft with success

the instructor was amazed

But it was still a simulator he landed, not an actual aircraft. No matter how realistic a simulator is your brain still knows deep down that it's a simulator, not an aircraft. Your brain knows that whatever happens you are in no real danger. Put that same person in an actual aircraft without an instructor sitting next to him and the results will likely be different.

I personnaly came to the conclusion that flight simulators (FSX especially) can help training at altitudes > 50ft.

At least with the AddOns I used, landings are pretty diffrent to the reality. Takeoff is somewhat similar, but still not the same.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

FSX is good for procedures, but it teaches you nothing about what you really get from control input. Like my Piper trip. The rudders were remarkably touchy as compared to my desktop time. My first fifty feet of taxi was a circus to behold.

One thing I didn't mention, the reason I forgot to do the trimming, was basically because my eyes were for the most part "glued" to the VSI. I was told we were going to make the trip at 1800 feet and by George I was going to keep us at that altitude. Totally forgetting trim wheel.

In a Huey, I'll tell you what I think would happen. You gradually would pull collective and as soon as you left the ground you would notice the yaw induced from the torque, hit the rudder (and even if you remembered which foot to use to pull the opposite direction) and it would be too much, your brain would go bye bye and you would have that craft somewhere else other than a "good" place.

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig

In a Huey, I'll tell you what I think would happen. You gradually would pull collective and as soon as you left the ground you would notice the yaw induced from the torque, hit the rudder (and even if you remembered which foot to use to pull the opposite direction) and it would be too much, your brain would go bye bye and you would have that craft somewhere else other than a "good" place.

Well, I got to admit that you're probably completely right on this one.

*Pulling collective*

* Brain Fart Fest in 3...2...1...*

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of our mates has "played" fsx dodosim jetranger for some weeks/months.

Then he had the chance to fly in a real chopper. He learned some stuff very fast. For example he was able to hover with full controls etc.

Not perfect but the IP was shocked that he could do this in his first helicopter flight.

I would say if you can handle the Huey in dcs (especially when FM is finished) almost perfect you will learn also very fast to fly a real one.