Will I use all the Navigation Modes?

Dudester22

I am just wondering why there are so many navigation modes and will I need to use them all? The trainer doesn't explain this part very well at all, it just briefs over them and doesn't say when to use them. Is there a good video anywhere that explains this better and when to use what? The trainer talks about stir points and anchor points etc, but doesn't say much more about them or what they are used for.

Waypoint, Steerpoint, and Anchorpoint are probably the easiest. The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) is that a Steerpoint is your currently selected Waypoint, and the "Anchorpoint" is Bullseye position.

Why they decided to confuse everyone by calling Bullseye "Anchorpoint" is beyond me...

I'm curious about HARS. Sometimes my EGI and TACAN get shot out and I'm left with nothing other than a compass and dead reckoning.

Waypoint, Steerpoint, and Anchorpoint are probably the easiest. The way I understand it (and I could be wrong) is that a Steerpoint is your currently selected Waypoint, and the "Anchorpoint" is Bullseye position.

Why they decided to confuse everyone by calling Bullseye "Anchorpoint" is beyond me...

I'm curious about HARS. Sometimes my EGI and TACAN get shot out and I'm left with nothing other than a compass and dead reckoning.

So, if I understand this correctly, the Anchorpoint, is just another word used for when you have reached your Waypoint or Bullseye, if indeed Bullseye means this? I am finding all this it a little confusing. The trainer doesn't help much by just coming out with all these names as if you know them all already. Would be nice if he explained what they did. Most he says is that you will be using EGI, for the most part before going of on one.

Edited by Dudester22

Not quite. The "Anchorpoint" is Bullseye. Bullseye is a fixed reference point on a map (default I think is over Poti for blue side).

For example, if someone says "target Bullseye 090 25 miles" that means that the target is not 090 25 miles away from your position, it is 090 25 miles away from Anchorpoint/Bullseye. Your current position may be Bullseye 270 25 miles, which means you would have to fly 090 for 50 miles to get to the target.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, the bullseye can be set for both coalitions in mission editor too so it can change from mission to mission. I usually pin it in a logical location, either on the target in a missin with just one, or in or near the middle of the targets for a mission with many options to keep the distances down and make it easier to estimate locations visually in a fast-paced situation. In this case, I make the bullseye something easy to find visually, like a bridge, river mouth or mountain peak.

To find the point called out from Bulls, you need to enter it in the CDU through the offset page as a six digit number (bearing then distance I believe).

~J

The State Military (MAG 13)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SHEEP WE-01

AV-8B BuNo 164553

VMA-214

Col J. “Poe” Rasmussen

http://www.statelyfe.com

Specs: Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi; i9-9900K; EVGA 2080 Ti Black; 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4; Samsung 970 EVO Series M.2 SSD; WIN10; ASUS VG248QE; CV-1 and Index

Modules: A-10C; AV8B; CA; FC3; F-5; F-14; F-18; F-86; HAWK; L-39; P-51; UH1H; NTTR; Normandy; Persian Gulf

The Steerpoint is the selected Waypoint. There can only be ONE Steerpoint at a time. The Steerpoint is also you default SPI.

A Waypoint is a navigation (2D or 3D) point that exists in the current (selected) Flight Plan.

A Markpoint is a point you can quickly make from the SOI. You can thereafter create Flight Plans with those Markpoints, should you wish so. Markpoints then become Waypoints in the new Flight Plans, and can be selected as Steerpoint.

As for the Bullseyse, the Bullseye is the Bullseye, nothing more, nothing less. It is set by the mission creator, and one and only one exist for each coalition. It *cannot* be moved during the mission.

Your Anchor Point is the point you can get relative reference to / from. It is used to safely transmit coordinates on unsafe radio channels.

At mission start your Anchor Point is set to the Bullseye, therefore you can get / give coordinates from / to the Bullseye.

Later on, you can decide to set your Anchor Point to any other point (Waypoint, Markpoints). For example, you can decide with your flight that the Anchor Point should be set and advanced to the IP for every run you make, depending on the zone you are attacking.

Very much to learn in the A10 CDU-wise, and not all of it prove useful in the *game*, but there are neat tricks you can pull off once you get your head around all the systems.

I found it an enjoyable process, I hope you will too ! :beer: