Broadcasting SPI and other targeting woes

311Gryphon

I would post a track but it didn't get saved and I had some other issues with my machine after this problem. Plus the track would only show part of the issue.

My friend and I have twice attempted to share SPI information. He is broadcasting to me. The first time he successfully sent me the new tasking, I had the option of selecting "WILCO" on the LMFCD and did so. The red SPI triangle showed up on the TAD. I slewed my TAD cursor to it, hooked it with TMS forward short, set it as my SPI with TMS forward long. I then did the ol' China Hat forward long to slew all sensors to the SPI. All seemed right with the world until I looked over at my RMFCD and saw it slewing. But when it got to whatever point it was looking at it did not "lock" onto that point. It drifted over the countryside in a way that led me to believe it was drifting with the speed of my plane. Maybe.

I'm trying to understand what may have happened. Did my friend's TGP hit the gimbal limits and somehow start a moving SPI? That doesn't seem right at all. It seems like his SPI would have been a set of coordinates that he then broadcast to me. Thus it shouldn't move.

The second time we tried to share SPI it seemed to work. However, after hooking it, setting it as my own SPI, then slewing everything to it, I manually slewed my TGP around to find a specific target and then set a new SPI on it. We then had to fly out and get a better angle due to some mountains. When we rolled back in, my TGP (and my MAV) was staring at the side of a mountain. I initially believed that the shoulder of the mountain had gotten in my way due to our angle and that the target would come into view as we approached. I soon learned that all of my sensors were looking at the wrong spot. That's the second time that happened to me but the first time was when I was flying solo.

Any ideas? I must be doing something wrong.

Another unrelated issue on that same flight was that my stall warning horn came on constantly about halfway to the target area. My IAS was looking good. I even dove for a few thousand feet and it still wouldn't shut up. I did a few aileron rolls and had plenty of energy for that, contemplated flying into the side of a mountain to shut it up, and finally found the stall warning volume and turned it down all the way. I knew it was there just hadn't had to use it before so it took me a bit to find it.

I've basically decided that when I'm not messing something up my plane just decides that someone has to do it so I still can't get a good run at a mission!

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stall warning may be caused by a frozen pitot (did you engage pitot heat on startup?)

When maneuvering through mountains the TGP is a bit tricky. First thing to check: Do not use Point track mode unless tracking a mobile target. Use Area track instead.

Second watch out for <Gimbal roll> warning on the TGP screen! If this appears you need to maneuver, to prevent the TGP from loosing the track... never do aileron rolls or loopings etc. while trying to track something with the TGP... 90% of the time you end up with the TGP pointing anywhere, but at the target.

If necessary drop a markpoint at the target area so you can quickly hook it on the tADS if necessary.

The first try with the TGP drifting again seems to be related to the mountainous area? Seems the SPI (point on the ground) was obscured by a hill or mountain side...

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I agree with Shagrat about the stall warning possibly being caused by a frozen pitot tube. Now, as far as turning it on during start up is not the correct thing to do. The pitot tube is something you want to turn on just before entering the runway if...your flight will be conducted from a high altitude, you will be flying through clouds or the outside temperature is low enough as to where freezing of external parts or avionics is imminent. The pitot tube (at least in real life) will over heat and even melt in some cases. This is supposedly modeled in the simulator as well as your maverick cams overheating after being left on for too long but I am not sure if it is.

Tracking a "buddy SPI" is a simple and quick way to get into the general vicinity of the target area when in a hurry, unable to provide with more exact location due to task saturation, hostile environments or even due to there being multiple targets available to bother choosing a specific one to call in a strike. Taskings are more accurate, but still sometimes require the receiving pilot to make slight adjustments on his TGP. This is why when a tasking is sent, it is good practice to say what you are looking at and read out the last 3 digits of both your Lat and Long coordinates on your TGP (if in LAT/LONG mode) or the first 3 digits of both sets of numbers when in MGRS.

I noticed the same too. The red triangle seems to miss altitude information. So the TGP focuses on a point below surface, which will result in a moving picture in the TGP.

Maybe the next time you get a taksing put a markpoint via TMS right short right on it on the TAD. If you set that markpoint as your SPI your sensor should be focused right on the target.

BTW: Gryphon was that the mission you took of from Batumi and flew to protect a convoy?

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

Yep, SADL tasking altitude is a bug. Check this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89833&highlight=Spi

In the meantime I use a work around. Put a markpoint on top of the tasking traingle, make the markpoint SPI and then slew. Altitude data is then OK.

Just to avoid confusion, assigning target via SADL (what you are doing) is not 'broadcasting SPI'. Broadcasting SPI is when you constantly share your SPI via datalink (TMS left long). Broadcasting SPI should work fine.

Edited by Kaiza
[url=http://www.aef-hq.com.au/aef4/forumdisplay.php?262-Digital-Combat-Simulator][SIGPIC]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2500/a10161sqnsignitureedite.png[/SIGPIC][/url]

Thanks everyone. This gives me a TON of good information to go play with and see if I can get a little knowledgeable about the systems.

Shagrat, the pitot heat is undoubtedly my problem with the stall warning. I usually flip that on as soon as I'm on the runway just before spool up but that time I was a bit frustrated with some issues we had getting started and I forgot. Once I got in the air I never thought about it again. I'll work with area track mode and see if that helps. The only times my SPI has been thrown off like that is in mountainous areas so I have no doubt you're on to something there.

Kaiza, good tip. I'll just drop a markpoint from now on.

Thanks again to everyone. I suspect that this covers my issues from the last flight!

Edited by 311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

just throw in a short one, the SADL Tutorial on Youtube mentiones lasering so you get coordinates of an object instead of a ground direction. Maybe you want try that out too.

Specs:

System: Asus Z170-E, I7 6700K, 16GB DDR4, Asus GTX1070 8GB, 1TB M2 SSD + 2x 250GB SSD,TrackIR, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder

Modules: A-10C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, F5E, M2000, AJS37, AV8b, F18C

just throw in a short one, the SADL Tutorial on Youtube mentiones lasering so you get coordinates of an object instead of a ground direction. Maybe you want try that out too.

Yeah I usually use the laser when I'm setting up a SPI but I'm not sure if that happened when my flight lead set his SPI or if it would have mattered. We'll play with it a bit. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]