GNSS satellites disappearing every 4 seconds in custom mission

derammo

I have a mission file that I created via the quick mission generator and then modified. When I join this mission with Blackshark 2 (Russia) via warm start, I get "NAV ERROR" and "3D" logged alternatingly, on a 4 second cycle. This condition persists and I tried more than one airfield. Both airfields are wide open to the sky. Also, the GNSS info shows ALL the satellites appearing and disappearing every 4 seconds. This causes the moving map display to blink continuously, since it keeps losing the current position.

I created a new mission with the mission generator and there is no problem in that one.

Any ideas how I can fix this or work around it? I would rather not throw away my mission file.

Thank you for responding. I have a bunch of data. I removed everything from my mission file that isn't necessary and moved to a different airfield. The problem still happens, whether I start from parking, parking (hot), or runway. In all cases, the ABRIS is already booted and is misbehaving in this way.

bad.jpg <== switches between these every 2 seconds (4 second cycle) ==> ugly.jpg

However, if I reboot the ABRIS (rshift-0 (zero)), then it correctly acquires the same satellites and does not misbehave.

good.jpg

This should be easily enough information for a developer to figure out why jumping into booted ABRIS acts like this, while simulating the actual boot doesn't.

Attached is the trivialized mission file.

helo_practice_2.miz

Edited by derammo

I see what you mean.

One thing I noticed from looking at lua files is there are comment lines like "-- TO FIX", so there is still hope it will work properly again. I've seen the lines of code that set this (the options between hot and cold start, ect.)

I did some more testing:

I noticed my mission had included the world script for GNSS and other world scripts. Thinking these might be stale, I manually removed these from the .miz and removed any mention of them in the resource section. I was trying to match the mission from the generator, which doesn't have that extra baggage. No change at all.

I flew online yesterday and the satellites all were working, though after time one of them 'went gray'. I am guessing losing one or two is normal.

I flew online again today and noticed the blinking error message. It went away, so give your mission some time and see if it stops.

Edited by JG14_Smil

I wrote a tool to difference mission files by extracting the LUA tables and converting to a canonical form. This allowed me to use recursive diff to determine what the differences are between a mission that has this bug and one that does not. Then I removed stuff until only the relevant differences remained. The issue ended up being the start time for the flight that the player is in.

My original mission I created from the mission creator in a previous version I had set the start time to 15:00. This gave a start_time code of 3510000. If I change this to a later time (7731481, from a mission that works) and make NO OTHER CHANGES, then the issue disappears. I have no idea why Eagle Dynamics chooses time codes in early 1970 :) but let's not nit pick ;)

This means some start time values will produce this bug. It is possible that you got rid of the problem simply by waiting for the time to tick past the "bad" values.

In any case, it is still a bug and I suppose I didn't have to debug it myself, but I get carried away ;)

The workaround is to change the mission start time, so that it will have to re-write the value to something that works:

I flew online yesterday and the satellites all were working, though after time one of them 'went gray'. I am guessing losing one or two is normal.

Yes, that's correct in the real world too.

I flew online again today and noticed the blinking error message. It went away, so give your mission some time and see if it stops.

No, my approach was dramatically more fun and nerdy!