Ed June 2013 newsletter

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, the AFM is probably 75% of the work, if not more, ergo 75% of the module.

Ok then -- a compromise -- $10 per AFM for FC3 owners. I imagine the team in Moscow is trying to come up with a figure somewhere between $5 and $15 per AFM for FC3 owners. I hope so, at least. In any event, I'll purchase all of them no matter the price -- just wish I hadn't bought FC3 yesterday, as I won't ever use it/fly it -- buying it soley on the (false) premise that I would get the AFMs as a free update, at which point I would fly some of the FC3 aircraft.

While there is discussion of making this available as an FC3 upgrade at a lower cost than the full module, I can say with confidence that they will not be made available for free given the large time and financial investment. When I am told the final decision on this matter I will post it.

IMHO, this would be a must as otherwise it would be unfair to the people who bought in the FC3 program to get the Lock On aircraft introduced into the DCS World only to see them abandoned shortly after that.

Just to be on the clear side, I expect to pay for the AFM modules, obviously. But, I'd like to see them integrated into my FC3 package for a price. If this is not convenient, I'd expect like a 50% discount on these modules developed from the FC3 package. Since no information was given at the time of the FC3 release that the aircraft from it would get separated out into modules and that the FC3 would be abandoned in a way, if none of these two things will be offered, I would feel cheated as the whole premise behind FC3 purchase (and there was no discount for people who already bought FC2 for example) was to get the Lock On aircraft into DCS World and to get them updated along the way.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I cannot find the part where they said we'll have to pay for EDGE. I think EDGE will just be included in DCS World, as an update to the engine. Then I think Nevada should be a paid-DLC for those who did not pre-order the A-10C. Same goes for future theaters. Isn't that kind of straight forward?

As for the upcoming mid-fidelity aircraft and the FC discussion, I don't really care. I don't really like mid-fidelity and FC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So what they did previously wasn't true in the end? FC3 owners will NOT receive these improved (AFM) aircrafts, they have to pay for it (maybe at less price).

Basically they are making money from an update... what's next? We will have to pay to have EDGE?

Quite possible when considering the incompabilities of EDGE and the current map - as far as i understood it.

But what's the problem there? You paid once for something and now everything ED does has to be free for you? Why not paying for "DCS World 2.0.0"?

Imho the AFM is 70% or more of the work.What is left to be done is a clickable cockpit.

I'm buying the sy27 and f15 upgrades because i'm an air to air nut :) and i want to support ED.

Whould have wanted to see realistic jammers being implemented more than AFM though.

Last word (quite a while back now) was those who bought into the A10-C Beta where the Nevada map, which was the catalyst for EDGE being developed, was advertised to be included but withdrawn won't, but those who didn't will, for the map... but as to EDGE itself - its possible we'll pay something, and for that its fair enough considering it is a ground up (excuse the pun) development project.

different scenario and moot point...

I've never been a fan of DLC or 'pay for" incremental upgrades, because of the upsets (and gouging) it can cause... fans aren't cows.

If its a worthwhile upgrade sure... it has to be worthwhile though

I bought A-10C beta sometime (03/2011) ago for 60 bucks but the Nevada terrain is turning out to be promiseware and is going Duke Nukem Forever Style...

Also if you can't trust what some of the inhouse DCS testers said prior to my purchase (those posts have been silently deleted) of FC3 who can you trust here?

*Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN

You dont need to buy the individual modules if you already own FC3... FC3 will get the same updates as individual modules...*

Edited by LosT_SouL_VL

So... ED made a little mistake maybe... not from my point of view but some people get spoiled faster than others.

And what do the spoiled kids say?

"OMG... we had all of this goodies for nothing and now for the last piece of the puzzle you want to charge us?"

C'mon... If you have FC3... I'm sure you can fly it without AFM... for free. If is so important.

So you basically call me spoiled? I have been paying for ED games since i was 14 from my own hard earned money. And i never complained about anything. Maybe a little about not having a dynamic campaign. Because in my mind back then i thought every Combat flight simm had a dynamic campaign. But that was my own mistake. For me it didn't feel like we had a lot of goodies for nothing. I paid a lot of money to have almost all the ED products. And DCS world for free is just marketing to get new people in. I would have got it anyway, free or not.

But the KA-50 nr 2 and now the FC AFM is enough for me. Then i rather wait for the Full Module. But as much as i love to fly the KA-50. I will never get that one again. Even if they would only charge me 1 euro. Back then i really had to struggle to get the money for the full KA-50 Module. But Ka-50 nr2 came out. For the same dam price for the same aircraft with changes i don't even notice because I’m no real pilot or dedicate 24/7 to this game to learn every little detail.

Right now i wished i never bought FC3 and just waited for the separate modules. But i probably end up buying FC3 AFM anyway.

So please stop calling people kiddies and spoiled. It looks like you are the spoiled one that can afford anything.

EDIT: Thanks Lost Soul. I was already looking for it but could not find it myself.

But the answer will be on this forum... "Anything will be subject to change". Basicly that means "We can promise you anything and take it back".

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

Back then i really had to struggle to get the money for the full KA-50 Module. But Ka-50 nr2 came out. For the same dam price for the same aircraft with changes i don't even notice because I’m no real pilot or dedicate 24/7 to this game to learn every little detail.

Just because you can't use them doesn't mean the additions for BS2 and their price are unjustified.

Also one rather big change was that BS2 is World compatible. BS1 isn't, and that's something you should be able to notice.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Just because you can't use them doesn't mean the additions for BS2 and their price are unjustified.

Also one rather big change was that BS2 is World compatible. BS1 isn't, and that's something you should be able to notice.

You have a point there. But from my perspective it was just the same product only with World compatibility and patches to the KA-50.

Another point would be that the BS1 was advertised as being a part of such DCS system (or at least compatible with future DCS modules) and then you had to pay for it. But, that's an old topic. I just wish we don't get a similar ride here.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I will try to answer a few questions that have come up in this thread:

1- There has been no decision in Moscow regarding the availability of the new advanced flight models to the FC3 aircraft. While there is discussion of making this available as an FC3 upgrade at a lower cost than the full module, I can say with confidence that they will not be made available for free given the large time and financial investment. When I am told the final decision on this matter I will post it.

2- The News Letter was written several days before the ATC improvements were moved into 1.2.5. ATC improvements are still planned for 1.2.5.

3- New effects (including weapon effects) are in development. We expect that these will address the effects performance issues. I have no ETA at this time.

4- Other FC3 aircraft will be improved as well (like the Su-27, Su-25, F-15C and A-10A). When they are further along, we will discuss them.

5- Remaining issues for some FC3 aircraft like CCRP, EOS, and F-15C landing issue will be addressed. Right now our staff is quite overloaded with other, higher priority items.

Matt

Thanks for the updates Matt! :thumbup:

Edited by _Dredd

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

No, they specifically DO NOT promise anything. This is because it's easy to get burned in software development, especially when it comes to a very complex game.

If you want actual promises, those come with an up-front, detailed contract and significant payment, again, up-front for a bunch of it. That's how the real software world works, and that's what publishers used to do. But the world of gaming is changing big-time. Indies, if you like, have to fund themselves. Some can do a kickstarter, other prefer not to ... you get the idea. And don't consider kickstarter as a contract, either - it isn't.

But the answer will be on this forum... "Anything will be subject to change". Basicly that means "We can promise you anything and take it back".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Thanks for explaining. But for me it feels that way. That’s because I’m planning my purchases when important things like that are told to us.

I can handle delay's or entire features taking away. But things like this disappoint me a lot every time.

The posts were deleted because they were not factual and it was information that was not provided to either testers or moderators - as such I think you can appreciate that we don't want such statements spreading, especially when we know that a decision has not been made.

Your source for such things is Wags. I can appreciate that you can't know what a tester knows or does not know. Generally speaking, for future products and features, your most reliable source will be Wags' updates. Testers don't get told much about future pricing of things, but they are a reasonable source of technical knowledge.

If you regret your purchase of FC3 because it was made based on that faulty information, I suggest putting in a ticket for a refund.

Also if you can't trust what some of the inhouse DCS testers said prior to my purchase (those posts have been silently deleted) of FC3 who can you trust here

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I understand, I've wanted features as well, only to find out they are not coming. This is why Wags now tries to only post confirmed features that are being worked on and are very likely to be in the final product, or have already made it in.

Thanks for explaining. But for me it feels that way. That’s because I’m planning my purchases when important things like that are told to us.

I can handle delay's or entire features taking away. But things like this disappoint me a lot every time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

agree that they didn't promise anything

personally i buy FC3 because they said that they will include AFM for the A10A

apart from the new cockpits of course

now to gain this AFM i have to buy it

of course they didn't promise anything

i should send them a contract or something just to be sure;)

anyway i learn my lesson

no way to buy the same aircraft again and again

but im happy that others will do to support them

instead of that i will happily give my money for the upcoming MI-8 :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

If you regret your purchase of FC3 because it was made based on that faulty information, I suggest putting in a ticket for a refund.

Thanks... But not needed. I still enjoy playing it alot. So for me it's not a waste of money.

You have a point there. But from my perspective it was just the same product only with World compatibility and patches to the KA-50.

Sorry mate but I have to say how immature your sig is(i mean this in a polite way). We are all die hard combat sim enthusiasts here, and I don't doubt you are also. But there is no other product out there head to head with ED's products. We need to provide them support to continue to help them provide the product we want. Would you rather call it as donation or a contribution to support them, or not support them at all for the one of the best combat flight sims out there that we have the privilege of enjoying.

Kudos to ED, the testers and supporters for their continued efforts no matter if there are some issues here and there even if they are bloody annoying in some parts being bugged. Im sure there some complexity in fixing them and work arounds at present, or milestones nearby for them being addressed. We are lucky enough that A10C was allowed to be released for consumer use. We're a die hard breed of simmers, so lets support the die hard breed developers and producers wherever we can.

Sincerely....

Edited by _Dredd

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

I don't recall why that A-10A AFM did not make it in, but it was definitely part of the plan. Wags didn't say it was intended to jerk you around.

agree that they didn't promise anything

personally i buy FC3 because they said that they will include AFM for the A10A

apart from the new cockpits of course

I will just point out that you're not just buying aircraft. It might seem like DCS World is free, but it really isn't ... upgrades to DCSW are funded by modules. You might feel like you're paying for the same aircraft, but this isn't really the case.

now to gain this AFM i have to buy it

of course they didn't promise anything

i should send them a contract or something just to be sure;)

anyway i learn my lesson

no way to buy the same aircraft again and again

but im happy that others will do to support them

instead of that i will happily give my money for the upcoming MI-8 :smilewink:

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry mate but I have to say how immature your sig is(i mean this in a polite way). We are all die hard combat sim enthusiasts here, and I don't doubt you are also. But there is no other product out there head to head with ED's products. We need to provide them support to continue to help them provide the product we want.

Sincerely....

I have been buying ED products since Flanker 2.0. So i think i have been supporting them for a while now.

But i understand and i will take it away. It was put there because i was slightly annoyed by it all.

I have been buying ED products since Flanker 2.0. So i think i have been supporting them for a while now.

But i understand and i will take it away. It was put there because i was slightly annoyed by it all.

Respect :thumbup:

I don't doubt your frustration dude, positive patience goes a long way. And ED will deliver.

Edited by _Dredd

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

...and on the practical aspect of all this. When flying you will have the same identical (from outside) aircraft, one comes from FC3, but the other comes from the module with the AFM ... so you're facing an "enemy" without knowing its capabilities (or any other related matter).

Or they'll be market differently? Like the one with the basic flight model from FC3 with a logo showing a yello monkey on the back of the tail? And a text: "Warning: this plane is tuned down". ahahahha

On the contrary, the AFM is probably 75% of the work, if not more, ergo 75% of the module.

Is it though?... Really?

Three times more work than designing a 6dof cockpit and high resolution external model complete with animations and FC3 avionics?

Come on, I'm not saying it's easy but you're pushing it there.

In my eyes, I already own 75% of these 'new' modules by owning FC3.

Therefore I value the AFM alone to be worth $5 per aircraft.

If ED want to offer it to FC3 owners for $15 per aircraft, that's fine but I won't buy it.

Everyone should just buy the Individuals, so they can put FC and Ubi-Strictions out to Pasture.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs