Update - 22 June 2013

Clickable cockpit wouln't make sense for FC3 planes. It means all their system would be simulated and then they'd just be DCS quality modules, FC3 is also/mostly appreciated for its casual approach. Besides I think ED wants to be done with Flaming Cliff which is an UBI license and focus on proper ED owned DCS modules AFAIK.

Tbh, despite being anything but a graphic whore, rather than new modules/new module features my hopes are for the new IG all together. DCS is ageing fast and with the new gen graphics coming it's gonna get worse in a matter of months. I'd enjoy ED to come up with a new engine or something that make DCS that much more appealing and immersive so that it can visually be of high standard and keep being a top reference for years to come.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now Im confused.. I thought the plan was to improve the modules little by little to achieve DCS quality eventually.

That is the plan, but not under the Flaming Cliffs name.

In FC3 they are including 6Dof 3D pits, AFMs, and new 3D Plane models, but when the time comes to bring these planes to full DCS quality, they will most likely be released as separate $49.99/$59.99 modules. For example: DCS: Su-27, DCS: F-15C, etc.

Including the AFMs in FC3 was just a way to help fund the full DCS module by getting some more people interested in FC3 (which worked, because I bought 2.)

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

I'd enjoy ED to come up with a new engine or something that make DCS that much more appealing and immersive so that it can visually be of high standard and keep being a top reference for years to come.

I don't really get the complaints on the graphics. Sure, IG/EDGE will be awsome, but I'm happy with what we have at the moment. Try to fly BMS from time to time and suddenly DCS graphics looks awsome. Don't get me wrong, BMS is also a good sim but for other reasons.

I don't really get the complaints on the graphics. Sure, IG/EDGE will be awsome, but I'm happy with what we have at the moment. Try to fly BMS from time to time and suddenly DCS graphics looks awsome. Don't get me wrong, BMS is also a good sim but for other reasons.

You don't complaints on the graphic simply because there's no other flight sim that could compete? This doesn't make sense, we're criticizing the gfx (mainly the scenery) because it's bad (it's like 10 years behind to today's standard), not because someone else (flight sim) is doing better.

It's 2013, we can't live with what we have today.. in fact they are (fortunately) working at it.

Ten years behind which standard?

The standard for shooters?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I agree with this statement. The graphics may not look like Battlefield 3 or Battlefield 4 but the sheer scope of how much you can see at one time is awesome. And the amount of detail! There's a TON of little things that you don't notice when flying in an A-10C or FC3 plane but that pop out at you when cruising low and slow in a Ka-50 or UH-1H. I'm not saying the graphics are amazing, but they are definitely sufficient. Once we get around to getting an overhaul it will be welcome but, dudes, what we've got is pretty solid.

I'm also very much looking forward to the AFM for the FC3 planes even though I'll eventually replace the F-15 and Su-27 with the DCS-fidelity versions once they are released. Don't mind paying the premium for full-fidelity versions of the modules as FC3 was cheap for the amount of content delivered (especially now with the AFM etc upgrades for free) and the DCS versions are still likely quite a ways out.

I am also hoping for a 3D cockpit for the Su-25T at some point as I love flying that plane but feel almost as if I'm stepping into a different game when I do. 6-DOF with a 2D cockpit is less than ideal!

The thing I am MOST excited for is DCS: F/A-18C. The first flight sim I ever played was GraphSim's F/A-18 on a powermac back in the day and followed it up with F/A-18: Korea. It is my favorite plane IRL and I got happy in my pants once Eagle Dynamics announced it was their next DCS-level module. Absolutely can not wait for this (though I know I've probably got a long while to go)!

I would be happy with the hornet being completely land-based or even carrier based with the basic ship models we've currently got but I hope ED plans on overhauling carrier ops, giving us new high quality ship models, catapult effects, trap cable effects (even something as simple as the cable 'sticking' to the arrestor hook), LSO with "ball" ... man my imagination runs wild with how awesome it could be.

Though honestly as long as the plane itself is modeled properly I'll be satisfied with the product. The dreaming is just like 'ultimate happy' scenario. =)

I am so incredibly excited for the future of DCS: World... I mean right now it's freaking incredible as is and it looks like things are only going to get exponentially better. As for the long wait time ... I'll deal with it. That's what the mission editor is for, after all. :thumbup:

So basically ... I'm excited. :megalol:

• Like 1

Robert Sogomonian | Psyrixx

website| e-mail | blog | youtube | twitter

You don't complaints on the graphic simply because there's no other flight sim that could compete? This doesn't make sense, we're criticizing the gfx (mainly the scenery) because it's bad (it's like 10 years behind to today's standard), ...

dude, if you admit there is no competition then apparently DCS is the standard. If DCS is the only one how can it not live up to the standard.

I7920/12GBDDR3/ASUS P6T DELUXE V2/MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G /WIN 10 Ultimate/TM HOTAS WARTHOG

I am so incredibly excited for the future of DCS: World... I mean right now it's freaking incredible as is and it looks like things are only going to get exponentially better. As for the long wait time ... I'll deal with it. That's what the mission editor is for, after all. :thumbup:

So basically ... I'm excited. :megalol:

Well put!

Clickable cockpit wouln't make sense for FC3 planes. It means all their system would be simulated and then they'd just be DCS quality modules.

You can have a clickable cockpit without full DCS detail. In fact it'd be a good starting point in my opinion. Still clicking switches in the pit rather than having to remember key assignments, but still with the simplified modelling of systems.

Essentially you'd end up with a clickable cockpit where only relevant switches were clickable, and may not perform in the same way as they would in a DCS module. So for example, you'd only have one MFD screen and only a few of the buttons would actually do anything, you'd have cockpit switches to turn on the external lights, but they may not have the same modes as in reality. And so on.

Essentially it'd be like one of the earlier clickable cockpit sims, much simpler and less detailed, but still much more convincing and immersive than clicking control-shift-T or whatever.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Ok quick question regarding AFM for the F-15C. Will that do away with the autopilot aerial refueling? Tanking with the A-10C (and to a lesser extent the Su-33) is the most satisfying part of the game for me, but with the F-15 it is just such a let down when you make contact with the boom and then the computer takes control away from you. Anybody in the know care to make a comment?

You can have a clickable cockpit without full DCS detail. In fact it'd be a good starting point in my opinion. Still clicking switches in the pit rather than having to remember key assignments, but still with the simplified modelling of systems.

Essentially you'd end up with a clickable cockpit where only relevant switches were clickable, and may not perform in the same way as they would in a DCS module. So for example, you'd only have one MFD screen and only a few of the buttons would actually do anything, you'd have cockpit switches to turn on the external lights, but they may not have the same modes as in reality. And so on.

Essentially it'd be like one of the earlier clickable cockpit sims, much simpler and less detailed, but still much more convincing and immersive than clicking control-shift-T or whatever.

That's true. That's one thing that bothers me about SU25 (I don't own FC yet but when the stand alone modules come out I will buy those) - that you have to remember bazillion shortcuts and you cannot even view the current assignent while in game (seriously that would be cool if there was a button in the ESC menu that would show a briefing like window with current keymap - that would be enough - you dont have to be able to change it or anything, just a plain text list of keys). You have to either quit and look in the controls or alt tab and google it (if you use default key mapping which I don't). On the other hand in DCS module even if I don't play a certain module for some time I can still get in the cockpit and do pretty much everything right away because even if I don't remember the key I can still click the switch and it's fine (I can look up the exact key later). In DCS I actually click almost everything, I got only hotas mapped.

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

Like a two-fer!

Purchased FC3 online and installed it. The next day I noticed the "upgrade" button on the screen and clicked it. WhooHoo! It spent the next hour upgrading the sim to the new AFM that was just announced. Gotta' say, after being away from sims for a few years, ED is the cat's pajama's when it comes to taking care of their customers. And since the flight sim community is a vastly smaller customer base than other genres , that says a lot about the integrity of ED towards it's customers. Now if I can just re-learn all those keyboard strokes to employ all the FC3 aircraft. ;)

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

the AFM is out already? you sure it's not just a patch?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Purchased FC3 online and installed it. The next day I noticed the "upgrade" button on the screen and clicked it. WhooHoo! It spent the next hour upgrading the sim to the new AFM that was just announced. Gotta' say, after being away from sims for a few years, ED is the cat's pajama's when it comes to taking care of their customers. And since the flight sim community is a vastly smaller customer base than other genres , that says a lot about the integrity of ED towards it's customers. Now if I can just re-learn all those keyboard strokes to employ all the FC3 aircraft. ;)

Sorry to disappoint you but the new AFM's that were just announced aren't available yet so I don't know what upgrade button you're talking about or what you spend an hour downloading.

Maybe he's posting from the future.

If he is, may I ask what the date is? So we know when to expect it.

There are a few stock prices I want to check, too, if it is not too much trouble. :P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Indeed I agree it would be nice, having just acquired FC3 myself and coming from regular DCS modules it is quite frustrating having to rely on hotkeys alone, but I just honestly think in order to achieve what you describe would ask of ED to dedicate an amount of resources that would just sort of defeats the purpose of FC3 which is to offer a fair amount of planes in a less invasive (more casual) manner that allows for a reasonably low selling price. Don't get me wrong if they'd add it now I'd welcome it with joy but I still think that if ED is to work on cockpit systems & clickable buttons it should be on high fidelity DCS modules that can be sold at a higher price to make up for the dev costs and not on 'casual' modules owned by Ubisoft. Although like you said if such work could then somehow be used to vastly shorten the development of their high fidelity counter-part then it's another story! IMHO.

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If he is, may I ask what the date is? So we know when to expect it.

There are a few stock prices I want to check, too, if it is not too much trouble. :P

Stock prices? go for the lotto numbers :thumbup:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

So what was it?

Okay. I'll accept that it was not the AFM's everyone seems to be so looking forward to. Since I purchased FC3 online via download, then I would expect that I would have received the latest iteration with all the current "updates". If that was not the case then perhaps that explains the 1 hour "update" to what I downloaded. Since I did not have the opportunity to examine the aircraft/play in FC3 before the "update" then I cannot determine the changes made in the purchased product by said "update". Either way, FC3 is now infinitely more enjoyable than my original LOMAC. :pilotfly:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT