CH Or Saitek?

I have not owned either CH or Saitek's joystick offerings. I do have the Saitek Combat Pedals, have had them for over a year now and they work very well for me.

Also from reading on the forums, it seems the Saitek X52 Pro is very popular. Hopefully someone that has ran both will chime in with better advice based on their experience with both.

Certainly CH is a very reputable company and am sure their offerings are very good as well.

Good luck in your decision,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

ZomboDroid23062013031550.jpg
  • Like 1

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Hare a my two cents about rudders:

recommend a purchase of CH pro rudder pedals.

Had them before the saitek - -CH rudders are too narrow . - this ads to much strain to your legs during helicopter long-runs (keep in mind: holding them centred for longer periods is not common in the Huey) and isn't usable at all when you will sometime change to a center-stick config .

(some info about my experience: I came from (almost) helicopter-only flying in FSX to the BlackShark some many moons ago)

True
And here is some more :

Try this threads as a starter:

pedals

Which pedals are worth the money?

(you will probably find a lot more if you enter "rudder pedals" in the forum-search ) wink.gif

If you go with a Saitek product (...I bet you will ! ) this will be also of interest for you:

how to Remove the (annoying) centre detent from Saitek Pro Flight-

and Combat- Rudder Pedals

and Welcome!

Shooting down an A-10C in a Huey - Priceless

You want to fly manly the Huey? - get a G940 , well it has it quirks... but: dual trust levers and FFB - and rudders are already included at a price you can't beat (and even unbelievable cheap as second-hand)!

-And you can combine it later on with anything you want.

FFB:

Have a look to get a idea what you are missing: ...

Edited by PeterP

The general consensus I've seen posted over the years in the forums is that the CH stuff is VERY reliable, and that their profiling software is as good as it gets. The two knocks (by some) against CH that seems to come up a lot are the close spacing of the pedals, and that the throttle is a linear slider instead of a rotating quadrant style. A few bemoan the lack of any new models in the consumer controller line, too... but the flip side of that is that the current line is well proven, and you typically don't get any unwanted surprises.

The Saitek pedals have wider spacing, and they now have three different models to choose from. The difference between those models (AFAIK) is the aesthetics. Internally, the regular and pro versions are the same. I suspect the Cessna style pedals are probably the same inside as well.

The Saitek stuff has had quality control issues, it seems, during some time periods. If you're buying from a local brick and mortar store, that could be less of a concern/hassle, if you get something flaky. If you're buying online, that may be a higher concern to you.

Saitek's profiling software is not as advanced / flexible as CH's. If you're just using the game's binding assignment menus, then that is of no concern. If you intend to do advanced stuff, either one might do, but CH definitely has the edge.

Another consideration.... if you play older games that will only recognize a single controller, the CH software can combine the CH items into a single virtual controller. Saitek software does not have that capability.

If you think you may end up modifying the equipment... you'll need to decide what matters to you. You'd be 'risking' lower cost stuff by using Saitek, if that matters to you. A look around on the forums/youtube will find a number of mods done by folks on Saitek. For CH modding, check out Ghost's work, as he has done some very cool things.

I'm running Saitek stuff, but I do not knock the CH products line. There are a lot of good things to be said about their approach.

What DCS modules, and other sims/games do you intend to run the equipment with?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Lmbo @ Boris post, out of those 2 choices I'd take CH also. Although I have been a CH user for the last 8-9 years. I have used X45 and several Cougars to include my current uber modded Cougar. My CH stuff is in retirement due to the Cougar. However, because CH works so well and I love the programming....I will never sale it. Only if CH would come out with a new throttle or transfer the guts from CH and put them in a Cougar.....then I'd be happy. My X45 worked well for about 6 months of heavy use, then it developed center play that only got worse. I sold the X45 for the CH set up. I still use my CH pedals with my Cougar, with no problems.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Looks like the type of inflammatory post a fanboy would write. What's your agenda? Have you been mistreated by all the nasty Warthog owners who love their gear? :megalol:

Out

Ok, I admit, since I got my Warthog two weeks ago, I am also a Warthog fanboy.

I would have thought more would have jumped on here to recommend it. I guess it is a tad more expensive though.

Though I have never used the CH products, they're probably right about in between Saitek and the Thrustmaster Warthog. The Warthog feels like it's literally been ripped out of an aircraft.

Since it sound like the OT will be flying the Huey though, the Warthog may not be ideal.

From my experience with the X52 Pro (I've owned two), I've always been very happy with it. The reason I had two, is because I gave up simming for a few years in between, not because one broke.

The X52 Pro is probably the most solid HOTAS from Saitek in terms of reliability and versatility. I never had problems with the programming software, and there's quite a lot you can do with it if you know how. While you can map a huge number of functions with the pinky switch and the three modes, you probably won't need all these, given the hi-fi modules only really require you to map the HOTAS functions, as everything else is clickable.

In terms of quality it's quite good, despite the all plastic construction, and you wouldn't be disappointed by it.

As far as pedals go, the Saitek Pro Pedals have never let me down.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Saitek will give you a very good stick for the money. The programming-software is easy to use and you have many buttons and axes to program. You can even switch between 3 layers of profile, if you want to, you can even program 6 layers.

On the other hand, you will reach certain limitations when it comes to complex macros or even scripts.

CH offers a great HOTAS with an equally easy programming-tool. Besides normal programming (with shifted function), it also allows 3 different layers, which also makes up for 6 layers, if you really need them.

But beyond just mapping buttons CH offers the option for scripting, which comes in very handy if you want something special - changed sensitivity, different behaviour depending on which buttons are pressed, toggle-functions, and a lot more.

On the hardware side, Saitek offers a modern HAL-Sensor for the stick. The mechanics are not well layed out, though. Removing the sliders inside the housing and glueing the magnets in the correct positions by trial and error makes the stick much more precise and responsive. (Search the forums for X52 precision mod).

Large point for critics is the centering mechanism. It wears out quickly and needs to be tuned in order to make precise movements and allow for good centering.

CH is based on conventional potentiometers, but with decent mechanics: Simple, sturdy and very precise. Biggest plus for me is the 2-axis-springs: you can feel very precisely, when you start pulling or pushing the nose, or roll left or right. At any given angle, you can sense how much input to either side you are giving and where the dead-zone for each axis is.

The other really great thing about the CH-gear is the throttle. Yes, it's not modelled like a real throttle. Not even close. But it's fully optimized for desktop-usage! Every single button is easily accessable from any throttle position. Something you can't honestly say when putting the TM Warthog or X52 on your desk.

• Like 1

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

CH uses potentiometers of much higher quality then Saitek. Even with the HAL senzors on the main axes in the X52 stick you have a buch of pots for the rotaries and for the throttle... and after a while they start to jump around...

I have a CH Fighterstick for almost 10 years i think and never had an issue with it, works and looks just like day 1. I use the X52 throttle (never used the stick after i bought it and checked if it worked) for some years now, it's not that it's bad but the pots are really starting to annoy me.

For the same reason i would take the CH pedals over the Saitek ones, even if they are narrower it's not that much of a difference.

I really wish these manufacturers would stop using pots altogether, nevermind poor quality ones like Saitek does... and i was lucky getting an otherwise one of the better quality units, with good movement and no flimsy action with the rotaries like other people did.

Sad to see that even with a pricey HOTAS like the Thrustmaster Warthog things are far from perfect and people have to go ahead opening up their new facy expensive toy and mess with the grease and springs and such.

LE: about the software, yes CH it's more advanced but to be honest never used the most advanced stuff with scripting and such and i'm pretty much a power user. The Saitek software is pretty good, imo it has more options than 90% of the people would use, i actually like it, has bands and all kinds of stuff and probably it's more user friendly then CH Control Manager. Unless you're a programmer i imagine ;).

Edited by Korn

I own the Saitek Pro Flight Combat pedals, which are very solid and feel great. I can't not recommend them, so there: I'm recommending them.

You should be careful to get the pedals that also have toe brakes, not just the rudder axis. Flying a heli like the Huey doesn't require toe brakes, but they do help the immersion in airplane sims where toe brakes are properly simulated (like A10C).

I can't judge the sticks and throttles, being a TM fanboy ;)

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

CH it's cheaper in the long run. Saitek will give good precision for 2 years maybe, CH lasts forever. I like my TM WH but even it's not perfect.

What Scarecrow said. CH isn't "perfect" either, but as stated lasts forever. My FighterStick I got in 2000, I'm on my 2nd (beta) ProThrottle, original Throttle Quadrant (after (hardware) beta testing). Original DT225, original Eclipse Yoke original MFPs and original ProPedals. They all get daily use.

:joystick:

CH really is one of the most reliable sticks on the market - if not THE most reliable.

I've used my first CH Fighterstick for over 14 years, before I replaced it. And the only reason I replaced it, was my mainboard no longer supporting a gameport. :)

@ Software:

IMHO both CH and Saitek offer very usefull and easy to program software.

Just that CH offers the depper scripting for advanced users.

They are both a lot more userfriendly, thank the TM-Software, though.

Edited by Feuerfalke

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Of the two CH all the way. I've had the CH Fighterstick, and Pro throttle, as well as the X52 set. Frankly CH blows the 52 away as far as reliability, accuracy, and ease of maintenance. Some would say the use of pots is out dated, however CH uses them quite nicely. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Why is the rum always gone!?!?!?!

@OP The whole CH set is like $286.05 NEW on Amazon (great support for returns hint hint) and sometimes goes lower. That vs the $261 for the X52 Pro + Pro pedals makes the CH a no brainer. But that's just me because I've gone through 3 sets of X52s in the past few years and I'm starting to wonder why I got the X65F (albeit for $200 and I have two sticks and two control panels, but one throttle).

Edited by neoshi

Based on all of the replies, I will be going with CH. Thank you for all of your comments.

You want to fly manly the Huey? - get a G940 , well it has it quirks... but: dual trust levers and FFB - and rudders are already included at a price you can't beat (and even unbelievable cheap as second-hand)!

Since it sound like the OT will be flying the Huey though, the Warthog may not be ideal.

Who could fly just the Huey with all of these beautiful modules? It can barely kill soft targets :lol:

The general consensus I've seen posted over the years in the forums is that the CH stuff is VERY reliable, and that their profiling software is as good as it gets. The two knocks (by some) against CH that seems to come up a lot are the close spacing of the pedals, and that the throttle is a linear slider instead of a rotating quadrant style. A few bemoan the lack of any new models in the consumer controller line, too... but the flip side of that is that the current line is well proven, and you typically don't get any unwanted surprises.

The Saitek pedals have wider spacing, and they now have three different models to choose from. The difference between those models (AFAIK) is the aesthetics. Internally, the regular and pro versions are the same. I suspect the Cessna style pedals are probably the same inside as well.

The Saitek stuff has had quality control issues, it seems, during some time periods. If you're buying from a local brick and mortar store, that could be less of a concern/hassle, if you get something flaky. If you're buying online, that may be a higher concern to you.

Saitek's profiling software is not as advanced / flexible as CH's. If you're just using the game's binding assignment menus, then that is of no concern. If you intend to do advanced stuff, either one might do, but CH definitely has the edge.

Another consideration.... if you play older games that will only recognize a single controller, the CH software can combine the CH items into a single virtual controller. Saitek software does not have that capability.

If you think you may end up modifying the equipment... you'll need to decide what matters to you. You'd be 'risking' lower cost stuff by using Saitek, if that matters to you. A look around on the forums/youtube will find a number of mods done by folks on Saitek. For CH modding, check out Ghost's work, as he has done some very cool things.

I'm running Saitek stuff, but I do not knock the CH products line. There are a lot of good things to be said about their approach.

What DCS modules, and other sims/games do you intend to run the equipment with?

I mainly fly the Blackshark, but the surplus of HOTAS keys and HATs will help me out much more in the A-10C

Saitek will give you a very good stick for the money. The programming-software is easy to use and you have many buttons and axes to program. You can even switch between 3 layers of profile, if you want to, you can even program 6 layers.

On the other hand, you will reach certain limitations when it comes to complex macros or even scripts.

CH offers a great HOTAS with an equally easy programming-tool. Besides normal programming (with shifted function), it also allows 3 different layers, which also makes up for 6 layers, if you really need them.

But beyond just mapping buttons CH offers the option for scripting, which comes in very handy if you want something special - changed sensitivity, different behaviour depending on which buttons are pressed, toggle-functions, and a lot more.

On the hardware side, Saitek offers a modern HAL-Sensor for the stick. The mechanics are not well layed out, though. Removing the sliders inside the housing and glueing the magnets in the correct positions by trial and error makes the stick much more precise and responsive. (Search the forums for X52 precision mod).

Large point for critics is the centering mechanism. It wears out quickly and needs to be tuned in order to make precise movements and allow for good centering.

CH is based on conventional potentiometers, but with decent mechanics: Simple, sturdy and very precise. Biggest plus for me is the 2-axis-springs: you can feel very precisely, when you start pulling or pushing the nose, or roll left or right. At any given angle, you can sense how much input to either side you are giving and where the dead-zone for each axis is.

The other really great thing about the CH-gear is the throttle. Yes, it's not modelled like a real throttle. Not even close. But it's fully optimized for desktop-usage! Every single button is easily accessable from any throttle position. Something you can't honestly say when putting the TM Warthog or X52 on your desk.

Thanks for the information

CH uses potentiometers of much higher quality then Saitek. Even with the HAL senzors on the main axes in the X52 stick you have a buch of pots for the rotaries and for the throttle... and after a while they start to jump around...

I have a CH Fighterstick for almost 10 years i think and never had an issue with it, works and looks just like day 1. I use the X52 throttle (never used the stick after i bought it and checked if it worked) for some years now, it's not that it's bad but the pots are really starting to annoy me.

For the same reason i would take the CH pedals over the Saitek ones, even if they are narrower it's not that much of a difference.

I really wish these manufacturers would stop using pots altogether, nevermind poor quality ones like Saitek does... and i was lucky getting an otherwise one of the better quality units, with good movement and no flimsy action with the rotaries like other people did.

Sad to see that even with a pricey HOTAS like the Thrustmaster Warthog things are far from perfect and people have to go ahead opening up their new facy expensive toy and mess with the grease and springs and such.

LE: about the software, yes CH it's more advanced but to be honest never used the most advanced stuff with scripting and such and i'm pretty much a power user. The Saitek software is pretty good, imo it has more options than 90% of the people would use, i actually like it, has bands and all kinds of stuff and probably it's more user friendly then CH Control Manager. Unless you're a programmer i imagine ;).

I likely won't even adjust anything, just plug and fly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You won't regret it! I would have answered CH too. First I had Saitek X52 Pro but the twist rudder was spiky so I returned it. I wasn't happy with the build quality or the feel anyway. Bought CH and never looked back. Excellent controls!

Now I also finally replaced my plastic, flimsy Saitek pedals with excellent KomodoSim's pedals.

• 1 year later...

I have the CH Pro Rudder pedals, CH throttle Quadrant, and the CH Fighterstick. I recommend them due to their reliability and diversity whether flying fixed wing or helos. I have had mine for about five years now with no problems.

PCALEX