Why the MI-8?

I have a technical (little bit OT) question. What are those "paddles" on the rotorhead? The only thing that came on my mind is that they are some (adjustable?) counterweight to the rotor blades reducing(or absorbing) vibrations... :huh:

Indeed. Exact same thing as the rotor head on a BlackHawk, but with a cover over it. Bifilar vibration damper. I have a pic somewhere...

EDIT: Not adjustable, though... They just sort of wobble back and forth as necessary on those two pins, and naturally counteract 16Hz (5:1) vibrations in the rotor system. Quite effective. Not found on all models, though...only more recent ones.

EDIT #2: Here is a link showing the same thing on a Black Hawk: http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Rotorhead/38350b.html

Edited by AlphaOneSix

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

What is the exact variant we're getting? I can't find an "MTV2" variant on the internet. Is this going to be the Hip E?

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry for being a noob. It's a Mi-17 variant, was looking under Mi-8.

Edited by Zakatak

• ED Team
What is the exact variant we're getting? I can't find an "MTV2" variant on the internet. Is this going to be the Hip E?

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry for being a noob. It's a Mi-17 variant, was looking under Mi-8.

DCS:Mi-8MTV2 in attack. Circle-strafing maneuver..(see screen)

Mi8_in_attack_circle-strafing-1.thumb.jpg.432b22d6d90375fc70cc2eea60a39c10.jpg

Mi8_in_attack_circle-strafing-2.thumb.jpg.e3c71c7f039e51ae7da8a3d54a02fac2.jpg

DCS:Mi-8MTV2 in attack. Circle-strafing maneuver..(see screen)

good to see the Taliban getting there arse handed to them!!

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I gotta say, before I stumbled across this thread, I had exactly zero interest in the Mi-8. Now I find myself counting the days...

Lol, the same could be said about me and the Huey, but how can you say no to the total Belsimtek awesomeness? Now I am a happy Huey pilot and feel good that way. :)

And, my only answer to the question "Why Mi-8" is "Why the hell not?!" :D

Can't wait to get my hands on that one guys!

I'm sure somebody has already said this, but the Hip is a great counterpart to the Huey and I'm sure Belsimtek will do a FANTASTIC job.

I reluctantly bought the Huey in the sale and it has quickly become one of my favourite modules. I love the redundancy the second pilot provides and the relative simplicity of the avionics. It's incredibly well modelled and satisfying to fly.

Following this experience I'm much more relaxed when hearing about whatever aircraft is in development, as you never know how much you'll enjoy it until you actually jump in the cockpit and give it a try.

All of these DCS modules are labours of love and I'm just happy that developers are choosing to release such a wide variety of aircraft to suit all tastes.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Here's another very good video on the Mi-8 in Afghanistan and other events, and the improvements in development that came out of those experiences, all the way to the more current modifications: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBoxuksyXV0

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to have a news and other screenshots of the Mi-8 in WIP ?

Thanks, Skull.