Joystick Recommendation

Guest error404

Guest error404

My trusty MS Sidewinder Precision 2 stick died recently (roll right gives no response) so I need a replacement. I would prefer another stick just like mine as it was perfect for my purposes but it looks like they're discontinued and used ones are selling for $150+. I don't want to spend much over $50 on a new joystick.

I was looking at the Saitek Cyborg Evo but read about uncomfortable throttle lever placement (directly behind the stick).

Does anyone know of any other good sticks that aren't too expensive?

Thanks in advance.

Try looking for a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2,BEST stick I have seen yet.Great response and precision.Too bad it's hard to find because it's not being produced anymore.

When I first got my X-52,I packed it up as a "backup" stick...but after messing with the X-52 stick and understanding what a cheap stick that is,now I'm using it with the X-52 throttle and I'm very happy :) I miss those modes but it's ok :)

just aquired a X52 stick. I never owned the X45 before, but for the critics out there, it seems that the X45's throtle was a bit more practical because it had a rudder rocker and beter positioned buttons.

When I grab the X52 throtle I get the feeling I could use 3 hands and still have some room left to rest a 4th hand in there. ITS MASSIVE. Some buttons are ill positioned for quick acess and sometimes I still need to look at it to press a given function. It becomes a bit worse when the best placed button is precisely the clutch button wich is usable only to remenber wich button does what on the fly, ingame, but otherwise its useless! I cant figure out for the life of me why there isnt any option to make it mapable.

On the x52 stick, once again for non cannon stick's, there is no thunb lateral button, nor an upper pinkie button on the right. Instead you get an amalgamation of hats and butons in the same place up on the stick (that missile fire button is hard to press without pressing any of the others) and 3 aditional toggle butons (2 way) at the base of the stick, wich I use for non critical functions. They are useless during a fight because you require to leave one hand to operate them.

The stick is EXTREMELY precise though. On the other hand it has a long deflection angle and is realy, realy light on the spring. Theres no sense of x/y spring transition but I find it a bit easy to overcontrol.

The stick has twist for rudder. The twist force is about 4 times as strong as the deflection tension so there is no interference between the 2. I have this tendence to strech my fingers to the frontal palette to do the twist because the stick feels almost cylindrical to me when grabing it.

The X45 stick is ALOT stiffer but it losses precision over time untill it becomes useless.

All in all the x52 is a weird piece of kit, but many that acustumed to it stand by it.

Personaly I would have gone to CH fighterstick and throtle, but its way over the top in the price over here. I heard its a bit large for the average hands but its less prone to overcontrol and its even more precise. The spring tension I heard is also more to the side of traditional sticks.

Oh and if you go to the X52 be mindfull that it requires some lubrification in the spring system (its external so no problems accessing it). It comes lubrificated from factory but I alredy discovered that when it wears off, its convenient to use a thick lubrificant. Reglar oil or silicon lubrificants have a low viscosity and might cause vibration when the plastic disc goes up and down.

As for the cougar, its only worth to contemplate it if your have the mulah $$$ to MOD it.

My personal opinion is that the CH is probably the safest best bet if you are willing to spend that much for it but its so reliable and durable you wont need another for eons. In the end you might even save money in the long term.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Guest EVIL-SCOTSMAN

Oh and if you go to the X52 be mindfull that it requires some lubrification in the spring system (its external so no problems accessing it). It comes lubrificated from factory but I alredy discovered that when it wears off, its convenient to use a thick lubrificant. Reglar oil or silicon lubrificants have a low viscosity and might cause vibration when the plastic disc goes up and down.

you mean x45 dont ya ? as the 45 has a tight stiff spring, the x52 is just sweetness compared to that. Ive owned both and i can say that the x52 is way smoother and easier to move than the 45, there is no tension whatsoever in my x52. It took me a while to get used to that after using the 45. I can blow onto the stick and it will move, thats how easy it is to move my stick compared to the x45 where i had to set a c4 charge to get it to move, thats how stiff it was :p

I do miss the rudder rocker, but with proper deadzones setup, the twist function is real easy to use, but you have to have it set so that it needs to be twisted a fair amount before it actually starts to work, as too little of a deadzone will make you use the rudder inadvertantly and that could be disaterous.

The x52 is real similar in respect to the x45, the only real difference is that it doesnt have a rudder rocker, and the mode selector is on the stick instead of the throttle, and also the throttle has a lcd screen, and the 52 has a couple extra buttons, but apart from that, they are both practically the same.

I prefer the x45, but if it could have incorporated some of the things from the 52, that would be cool. but i am just getting used to the 52, so i guess in time i will change my mind.

Bottom line, if you have loads of cash, then CH would be the way to go, if not, then the x52 would be next, i dont think they make x45's no more so you may find it hard to find a supplier, but saitek do sell refurbished x45's.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :icon_jook :icon_supe

you mean x45 dont ya ? as the 45 has a tight stiff spring, the x52 is just sweetness compared to that. Ive owned both and i can say that the x52 is way smoother and easier to move than the 45, there is no tension whatsoever in my x52. It took me a while to get used to that after using the 45. I can blow onto the stick and it will move, thats how easy it is to move my stick compared to the x45 where i had to set a c4 charge to get it to move, thats how stiff it was :p

I do miss the rudder rocker, but with proper deadzones setup, the twist function is real easy to use, but you have to have it set so that it needs to be twisted a fair amount before it actually starts to work, as too little of a deadzone will make you use the rudder inadvertantly and that could be disaterous.

The x52 is real similar in respect to the x45, the only real difference is that it doesnt have a rudder rocker, and the mode selector is on the stick instead of the throttle, and also the throttle has a lcd screen, and the 52 has a couple extra buttons, but apart from that, they are both practically the same.

I prefer the x45, but if it could have incorporated some of the things from the 52, that would be cool. but i am just getting used to the 52, so i guess in time i will change my mind.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :icon_jook :icon_supe

Nope! I mean the X52... I was stupid enough to put in silicon lubrificant too soon and it disolved the factory lubrificant completely. The result was that even if the spring is light, the plactic conic disk that goes up and down the axis, vibrates. I have corrected this by aplying thicker lubrificant. I think this plastic mechanism is a weak spot for the x52's duability. If it wears off, the slack will cause vibration. It wouldnt hurt to use Iron/bronze contacts. These metals slide realy smooth on each other and they are cheap. I dont know why those guys at saitek didnt think of this. They lack mechanical engineers I guess.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Try looking for a MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2,BEST stick I have seen yet.Great response and precision.Too bad it's hard to find because it's not being produced anymore.
Do you use it with or without force feedback? how's the resistance. I'm thinking of getting one of those or a Precision Pro 2.

Force feedback could be nice if modelled realisticly, ie not sending airframe movements or made up effects to the stick. If I'm not misstaken the Su-27 incorporates some form of force feedback.

I don't use force feedback in Lock-On,it was awful in 1.02 and I got used to fly without it.With the release of 1.1,force feedback is good as it should be,awesome but I don't use it.In games like IL-2,I can't fly without it.It's real :)

Also stick is %100 digital,you can adjust everything from spring tension to ffb resistance with a few clicks.

I have had the Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS for several years now. There seems to be many differing opinions about this stick but I have been absolutely pleased with it to say the least.

Many complain of worn pots or sloppy centering and of course many have complained about buggy software. I have experienced none of these issues. Atleast 2 years of solid use and I am still using the original pots. My stick has about maybe a half inch of center play, but that is simply the weight of the stick not putting any force into the springs. This also means that a centered stick provides no input errors like some other brands on the market. I personnally like a little center play, with the cougar I know I am truly centered when the stick is loose.

The software has a little learning curve but it is very flexible and powerful and with a little patience you can create a very complete and user friendly setup.

And one last note, nothing beats the feel of an all metal stick, you will never go back, not to mention the 5 pound pull of the springs.

Simply the best stick on the market. The plastic junk just doesnt cut it.

Sorry, you did want a $50 recommendation, a guess a saitek cyborg or logitech 3D pro would suit you just fine. I get miffed when I read others saying that you need to spend the money to mod a cougar, just not true in all cases.

The Cyborg EVO, is f***in precise, and reliable (2 years without any problems), and you don't need to callibrate it, just wiggle around with the stick, and that's your callibration. The disadvantages are the weight, it is feather-light, so you need to rest the whole weight of your forehand on it, in order not to slip away on those combat-intensive situations. But it has quite good anti-skid surfaces under it, so it's not such a big problem. The other disadvantage if the thing is the neat LED lighting.

An other positive aspect is that the stick itself is adjustable, so it can fit your likings, however, it doesn't have the kind of ergronomics the Logitech sticks (that break down in 1-2 months) have, but, it's a very precise beast(ie) and your hands won't sweat as much as they do with Logitech's sticks.

But then again, if you have the space (I don't :() and need for a HOTAS, then you're better off with either the X-52 or X-45. Just don't make the mistake of buying a Logitech stick, unless you like getting 4 new sticks in a year due to warranty. :(

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy: