Huey Skin .lua difficulty

Crashmo

Hi,

Why does the Huey require 2 different main body .dds files? They are both the same template, but one is labeled "_spec" and is slightly different in color.

I've tried to use a file as a substitute for making my own, but I cannot seem to get the right combination. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Much appreciated.

This is the .lua file that I've adjusted. I have replaced the main "0" file with the .dds I made myself. Why the "0" and "2" for each of the different main body .dds files?

None of this exists in Ka-50 skins and those have worked for me.

livery = {

{"uh1_main_dam", 0, "BAF1.bmp", false};

{"uh1_main_dam", 2, "uh1_spec_solidskid", false};

{"uh1_tail_dam", 0, "navy_test_tail", false};

{"uh1_tail_dam", 2, "uh1_tail_spec", true};

{"uh1_main", 0, "BAF1.bmp", false};

{"uh1_main", 2, "uh1_spec_solidskid", false};

{"uh1_tail", 0, "navy_test_tail", false};

{"uh1_tail", 2, "uh1_tail_spec", true};

{"uh1_weapon", 0, "uh1_weapon_blk", true};

{"pilot_UH1", 0, "pilot_UH1_usmc", false};

{"pilot_UH1_helmet", 0, "pilot_UH1_helmet_usmc", false};

{"pilot_UH1_patch", 0, "test_pilot_Patch_full", false};

{"Gunner_UH1", 0, "gunner_uh1_usmc", false};

{"uh1_cov", 0, "navy_test_cover", false};

{"UH1-cpt-door", 0 ,"UH1_door_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_karkas", 0 ,"UH1_karkas_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_karkas2", 0 ,"UH1_karkas2_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_panel", 0 ,"UH1_panel_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_central_box", 0 ,"UH1_boxs_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_dev2", 0 ,"UH1_dev_2",true};

{"SPH-4B", 0, "pilot_UH1_helmet_usmc", false}; --gunner helmet

{"uh1_rotor_alfa", 0, "navy_test_Blades",false};

}

name = "Brazilian Air Force"

countries = {"USA"}

I hope I explained my problem correctly. Thanks for any help.

Specular textures are used to represent the intensity of the diffuse maps colour, light and specular reflection. They basically add shininess to the model. You could say it gives the paint job a shinny finish.

They are often grey in colour too, when I make them I just greyscale the diffuse textures and use that for the specular. The lighter the colour the more shine it adds. To achieve a mat type flat finish with little to no shine make it darker in colour.

They appear in a layer type setup, the normal map/diffuse textures sit on top and specular map below it, below that you can other mapping like bump maps which do appear to work in DCS.

Thanks for the reply. Now I know what the _spec files are for. I left those alone and only substituted the main fuse files. It is my attempt to make a camo Brazilian Air Force skin.

So I only subbed that main fuse file under the _dam and main. And yet, the game shows no skin.

Any ideas there?

wow, aussieboy, thanks for explaining that. I just never touched the "*_spec" files, because I didn't know what they did. Makes me want to go in and update my LAPD skin to be a little more glossy now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for the reply. Now I know what the _spec files are for. I left those alone and only substituted the main fuse files. It is my attempt to make a camo Brazilian Air Force skin.

So I only subbed that main fuse file under the _dam and main. And yet, the game shows no skin.

Any ideas there?

We know the description.lua file s wiring correctly ;), what is the name of your main file, is it BAF1.bmp? If so don't have the bmp extension showing in the lua. I always saved as targa then converted to dds.

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

He will need the .bmp if that's what the files name is, take it away and it wont work unless he renames the file too. Most of UH-1 files have a similar naming convention. .bmp.dds, the .bmp in this instance has nothing to do with the format, you could save it in .tga yeah but it doesn't really matter, it all ends up as 16bit at the end of the day when saved in as DXT1

He will need the .bmp if that's what the files name is, take it away and it wont work unless he renames the file too. Most of UH-1 files have a similar naming convention. .bmp.dds, the .bmp in this instance has nothing to do with the format, you could save it in .tga yeah but it doesn't really matter, it all ends up as 16bit at the end of the day when saved in as DXT1

Agreed.

But as you can see in the decription.lua file above, which is mine from my naval test pilot school skin, I have used the file names without any extension.

I don't think he would have saved it as a bmp file, but you never know!

Marker, I did pilfer your files, since I tried the navy test school first and it worked well--thanks. I tried another first and when that didn't work I tried yours as my trial and error diagnostic.

I saved the files as 24 bit bmp files just like I did with BS2 skins. Then converted to DXT5 files. I have tried DXT1 as well. Neither worked.

The file extension is .bmp.dds Yes the file is BAF1.bmp.dds. since the others did not include the .bmp I did not write it that way in the description.lua. I did originally try adding the .bmp to the .lua, that didn't work either.

I will try saving as a .tga and converting to DXT1 now and see if that works.

Something I haven't seen mentioned before is that DCS requires DXT textures to include mip-maps, without and you'll see that orange missing texture.

What program are you using to convert them and does it include an option to create mips?

Marker, I did pilfer your files, since I tried the navy test school first and it worked well--thanks. I tried another first and when that didn't work I tried yours as my trial and error diagnostic.

I saved the files as 24 bit bmp files just like I did with BS2 skins. Then converted to DXT5 files. I have tried DXT1 as well. Neither worked.

The file extension is .bmp.dds Yes the file is BAF1.bmp.dds. since the others did not include the .bmp I did not write it that way in the description.lua. I did originally try adding the .bmp to the .lua, that didn't work either.

I will try saving as a .tga and converting to DXT1 now and see if that works.

Can you upload your folder you have at the moment and let us have a look at it please!

No problem with the description.lua file, or using any of the textures etc.

Cheers

Semi Solution

I am using Photoshop CS5. I have heard the term mip-map before, but I don't know what it is.

Update: I have been working only on the fuselage, not the tail. Last night I started the tail. I put them both into my Brazilian Air Force file and adjusted the description.lua file accordingly. Now the tail shows up but I still get no skin for the fuse.

That answered questions. I will go through and rework the fuse again to see if I did something wrong with PS or saving that file. By the way, I did convert both PS files to targa 24 bit and then converted them to DXT1 files before the latest attempt.

Here are the files, I'm doing a screen shot of the Brazilian Air Force folder so you can see the files available.

livery = {

{"uh1_main_dam", 0, "uh1_BAF1", false};

{"uh1_main_dam", 2, "uh1_spec_solidskid", false};

{"uh1_tail_dam", 0, "uh1_BAF1_tail", false};

{"uh1_tail_dam", 2, "uh1_tail_spec", true};

{"uh1_main", 0, "uh1_BAF1", false};

{"uh1_main", 2, "uh1_spec_solidskid", false};

{"uh1_tail", 0, "uh1_BAF1_tail", false};

{"uh1_tail", 2, "uh1_tail_spec", true};

{"uh1_weapon", 0, "uh1_weapon_blk", true};

{"pilot_UH1", 0, "pilot_UH1_usmc", false};

{"pilot_UH1_helmet", 0, "pilot_UH1_helmet_usmc", false};

{"pilot_UH1_patch", 0, "test_pilot_Patch_full", false};

{"Gunner_UH1", 0, "gunner_uh1_usmc", false};

{"uh1_cov", 0, "navy_test_cover", false};

{"UH1-cpt-door", 0 ,"UH1_door_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_karkas", 0 ,"UH1_karkas_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_karkas2", 0 ,"UH1_karkas2_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_panel", 0 ,"UH1_panel_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_central_box", 0 ,"UH1_boxs_c",true};

{"UH1-cpt_dev2", 0 ,"UH1_dev_2",true};

{"SPH-4B", 0, "pilot_UH1_helmet_usmc", false}; --gunner helmet

{"uh1_rotor_alfa", 0, "navy_test_Blades",false};

}

countries = {"USA"}

Semi-solution:

I just made a quick adjustment to another fuse paint, removed some emblems and quick color change. I loaded that and it worked. So somewhere Photoshop messed up a file or I messed one up in Photoshop. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks for everyone's help here. It brought my blood pressure down slightly.

1213975147_BAFFolder.thumb.jpg.528d47ae9cf3434e5a347ab01e5919b2.jpg

Edited by Crashmo

I am using Photoshop CS5. I have heard the term mip-map before, but I don't know what it is.

countries = {"USA"}

Thanks for everyone's help here. It brought my blood pressure down slightly.

I don't use photoshop but I'm sure it can make the mip-maps. I use DXTbmp (which is free) to create my .DDS files and it does it automatically. Works pretty smoothly.

Also, I haven't troubleshot this issue yet but my skins wouldn't work when I put the:

name = "Whatever Name"

I'm sure I messed something up in that line of code and that's why it didn't work, and I haven't had time to check into it yet. I just deleted it in the meantime.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mip-Maps are used in conjunction with LOD files or view distances. In the DDS plugin prompt, just check the box to create mip-maps. It will save them within the DDS.

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Same here, I've been using DXTBmp since it came out, sometimes I'll use imagetool but mostly DXTBmp. I don't know if Photoshop can even create mips, can someone elaborate on this further?

Also, the UH-1H doesn't use the "name" entry in the description it uses the folders name for this, so you really don't need that line at all. Keep the country line but I'd lose the name line.

I don't have any third party skins installed only the one I created so I'm not sure if that could cause a problem, it shouldn't but you never know.

Solution and Success

Thanks for everyone's input. Cheers.

The .lua file and all of it's contents were not the problem. PS CS5 spit out a bad file in the beginning. I've been working it again all day and no further problems.

I use DXTbmp as well to convert. I tried .tga files, but they imparted a newsprint like shadow all over the skins. I went back to .bmp 24 bit and it worked fine.

Here's the almost finished sample:

Screen_130627_234438.thumb.jpg.9e4348bcd4578690098a7e0804f6be23.jpg

Screen_130627_234445.thumb.jpg.8365999411bbeae637866eb1428b6a5a.jpg

Screen_130627_234130.thumb.jpg.3556da6c5523e811cc20fbc685f213da.jpg