Inverted flight for >10 seconds...engine still runs?

Nealius

The manual made it seem like the engine completely dies if you fly inverted for greater than 10 seconds, but when I tried this at about 15,000 feet the engine kept running. The RPM and MF dropped considerably, and the engine probably wasn't producing much (if any) power, but the engine was still running nonetheless. I stayed inverted for quite a while, maybe 30 seconds, and after rolling upright the engine came back to life. Is this normal behavior? Or is the engine supposed to completely die?

I believe you must have been in an inverted descending path during that period, hence with your prop / engine being driven by the airflow... ?

Yep, I'm sure that's it. If you do a test and cut off the fuel while flying, you will hear the engine behaves the same as when you were inverted (hence, lack of fuel). ;)

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

It's not just fuel starvation. If you fly neg g for too long, the oil pump runs dry. You can imagine the rest.

Is it possible to seize the engine this way in the sim? I've have tried to find a length of time before you cannot recover the engine after being inverted, but have not found any "breaking point" thus far. Just curious.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think it was possible for me to maintain level flight while inverted at that altitude: I had nearly full aft stick and was still descending around 1000fpm. I will try again at a lower altitude.

Level inverted flight, just in case there's a misunderstanding, requires considerable forward stick.

At 1000 AGL my bird quit after a count of ten, but it did restart after rolling upright. Don't know that it would seize immediately, but manual (rl pg 22) makes it clear that scavenge pump would be unable to supply lubrication after about 10 seconds.

Perhaps an engine change would be in order, especially if Uncles Sugar is paying.

Edited by Tailspin45

Blue Skies & Tailwinds

tailspinstales.blogspot.com

i think those ten seconds are more of a reference and not a precise timespread...meaning that after those ten second, its possible that the engine seizes completely...i will have to try this test, but if i remember correctly, i managed to make my engine quit this way a while back.

I've never actually "seized" an engine this way, even when trying after reading this thread when it was first started. I have repeatedly flown inverted for much longer than 10 seconds with no long term issues. The engine will quit after the ten seconds as if starved for fuel but will restart on it own once you are upright again. If someone has burned up an engine like that I'd be curious how they did it. It's not really a big deal either way. I find it hard to imagine too many instances where you would run into the need to stay inverted... except for that Polaroid of the Mig pilot.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access