Newbie over here!

Hello pilots!

I am new with flight simulators and I hope you could answer to my questions and give me some tips. I am going to buy the A-10 Warthog sim in the near future and now I'm asking you maybe the most common question: What flight stick I should buy? My budget is 100 dollars. I have heard that the Thrustmaster hotas X is quite good. I also have thought buying the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, because I already have the Logitech profiler in my computer and it's very cheap on amazon, only 28 dollars. Here, in Finland it costs around 65 dollars! So, tell me your recommendations and opinions!

Thanks you! :)

EDIT: I have GTX 550 ti in my computer. Does it run the game smoothly on high graphics settings?

Edited by HenkkaWRC

With a budget of $100 consider the 'Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2'. It's a good durable stick with a nice size grip. The force feedback is a nice bonus, but a 'must have' if you later decide to try one of the helicopters. Look on eBay. Sticks with dark red buttons are supposedly the latest variant.

My only concern with this stick and the A-10C would be that it might not have enough buttons.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it also has rudder-twist and a mini throttle built in. A good place to start if you don't want to buy separates.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

I recommend spending a few more bucks for a Saitek X52 pro or find one used. :thumbup:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

Indeed with 100$ budget I would wait a little and get the x52.

It's actually available for 106$ right now: http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B00030GSJY

The Pro is a different stick. http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X52-Flight-System-Controller/dp/B000LQ4HTS/ref=pd_cp_e_1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

as you mention graphics card. DCS is CPU heavy. Check you run a CPU which is capable of running 3 GHz. Multiple core is not enhancing gameplay at the moment. As DCS World is for free, install it and try a bit with the included SU-25T to check performance on your rig. You can add the A-10C module later. By the way : currently all modules are on Sale until tomorrow for 60% rebate!!!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I would get a X52, it will do everything you ask of it in A-10C and not only that, it will serve you well with every other DCS title you will get in the future.

I know I won't make friends here for saying this but the TM HOTAS-X is really no better than a normal single stick solution like the Logitech, all it has going for it is a larger throttle handle and good rudder controls, that is simply not enough to really get the most out of A-10C.

In fact, you can get a X52 for a much better price if you get a really good used one, that should fit well into your budget.

The important thing is to get something that won't hold you back as you get better with the sim, spend a little extra now and you won't have to spend more later when you replace that simple stick with one you actually want.

I can only reinforce what the other posters have said before. You will want a Saitek X52 as a minimum to make sure you can bind all your HOTAS functions. The difference to the X52 Pro is largely cosmetic, save for the stronger spring mechanism in the pro.

You will easily get an X52 off eBay, used and in good condition, for around 60 to 70 Euros. At least here in Germany. I can't imagine Finland being much different.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Thank you for your advice everybody! :) I start looking those Saitek X52 controllers.

I am so glad to hear that DCS is CPU heavy. My GTX 550 ti is too weak to run modern games on high graphics settings. My CPU is Core i7 2600K @ 3,4 GHz. :)

:)

I am so glad to hear that DCS is CPU heavy. My GTX 550 ti is too weak to run modern games on high graphics settings. My CPU is Core i7 2600K @ 3,4 GHz. :)

should be OK. same CPU I use stock frequency, so still the option to fix a better cooling fan and overclock to 3.8/4.0 GHz safely ...:D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)