G940 Twitch issue

So... Don't know if it's just me or if it's an update issue but recently my G940 joystick has started to twitch during turns in multiple planes (F-15, SU-27, Huey, P-51). It's not the axis that are giving me problems but more like the motors.

For example, I'm turning under a few G's and I can feel the stick is tight, but as I'm holding the stick in that position in the turn... it will suddenly and very quickly twitch (lose force feedback for like a quarter of a second and then snap back into the force for the turn). It may do this once or twice back to back very quickly during turns. It's not every single turn, but definitely 15% of the time I'm playing. It's quite annoying to say the least.

Anyone else having these problems too? :joystick:

Have you covered the "deadmans switch" on the right side of the stick?

This is an IR switch that senses when you are holding the stick. It's probable that during the turn your hand is not covering this detector and the stick stops sending forces from the sim and applies the default centering spring, hence the twitch:joystick:

Either that or the motors are over heating possibly?

Oh snap… I just thought of something with this. So yes the sensor was covered up with electrical tape when this issue started happening. But now that I think about it, that was one of the reasons why I did tape it up. Because I kept releasing it and having to deal with the auto center feedback. I think with the quickness of the twitch that maybe the wires that are attached to the sensor might be broken. If I remember correctly, it only twitches during a turn where the wings start to buffet the air so the stick is shaking at its maximum. I'm going to open it up and check it out sometime this week. I was trying to recreate the issue with another game but I then realized that I don't play anything else anymore… lol. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good teardown thread for the g940.

This thread will show you the insides of the stick

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=84518&highlight=extend+g940

But to be honest i don't know of anyone who has had a faulty IR sensor. First line of inquiry i would advise would be to get a support ticket opened at logitech and hopefully get a replacement stick rather than opening it up and voiding the warranty.

Edited by Scarecrow

Yea... no go on the warranty deal. I bought this stick on Craigslist. Everything looked to be in good physical shape to the best I could tell. I can't figure out the problem. I need to install another game to try it on because when I disable the in-game force feedback check box setting, I don't get the twitches. The stick has tension to it but like I said... no twitching.

I just got done flying MS FSX for a good 40 minutes with ff on and I never once had an issue with the ff. I am confused as to what the problem is. Is anyone else having these issues? Seems to have just started within the last few updates for DCS.

• 2 weeks later...

So check this out. After sitting in the huey on the ground without making any inputs to the stick, it starts twitching. It did this twice in about 15 min. I thought it was really weird so I broke out the stop watch and did some lap times on the twitching issue.

Turns out... the twitching is on a schedule. I hit the lap button recording the length of time between the twitching and it is 7 min and 22 seconds... religiously. Again, it only happens in DCS. I tried disabling my AVAST. I do run comodo firewall but I really don't think it's that.

Alright. I think I figured out the problem. I'm a little embarrassed to say it, but It seems I just needed a good ol fashion reboot :) I work in IT so I'm constantly telling people to reboot their PC. Seems I forgot to do mine. So… after 2 updates to dcs and an update to my trackir, it looks like its a good idea to have the PC reboot.