finally purchased a TM-Warthog

Hi everyone I finally purchased a new stick :joystick: (A 50th birthday present to myself) When it arrives, I was wondering are there any specific mods or cautions I should worry about that are not mentioned in the manuals that are supplied in the package.

Any insite about how to make this beastie last a good long time would be appreciated

Randy

Congratulation. You won't regret buying the TM Warthog :-)

I am pretty sure that all I did was to install the driver. Once Windows recognizes the TM Warthog the game will to. If you are flying the A-10c then everything should be mapped next time the game is started after installation of the drivers.

Cheers

Hans

Before you do anything after installing the drivers, check the firmware and make sure it is up to date. When I got my new Warthog last year, the firmware in my throttle was not current, so I updated it first. There were some issues earlier on where some throttles were getting bricked, they seem to have all but disappeared since the last throttle firmware update.

You can install the Target software ( does not mean you have to use it), and click on " get firmware", and it will tell you what your firmware version is for both stick and throttle. Compare to the latest versions on the TM website. You can also use the Target software for controlling your led lights on the throttle.

If you fly other flight sims, and want the flexibility and power of being able to assign many commands to a single joystick button, the Target software is really pretty darn powerful. If you are interested, go ahead and download the Target manual from the TM Website and read over it. Obviously, if you use the Warthog in DCS-A10C, it works great jut plug and play as the program already recognizes and assigns the appropriate buttons.

Congrats and enjoy, I have loved mine ever since getting it early last year.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I bought a Warthog about a month ago, also as an early 50th birthday present after my CH Fighterstick finally snapped after 10 years of use and abuse.

I love it, but I did change the grease as advised in other threads and for me that made it smooth as butter.

III/JG11_Tiger

I love it, but I did change the grease as advised in other threads and for me that made it smooth as butter.

Did you find that fairly difficult? I have read up on the thread regarding this, and it sounds a little too daunting for me. I personally do not find the stick movement to be bad, I am sure the grease would make it smoother but I am ok the way it is for now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

"also as an early 50th birthday present"

Welcome to the (old guys rule) club,Tiger

Don that's very good info and exactly what I was looking for, I don't mess with more than one sim at a time as I cant remember the changing keys from one sim to another. M plan is to get the hog running well .Then have the commands reworked into FSX

Thanks for the help Gents

Randy

I'll be picking mine up this afternoon, really excited also!!! It's my (very) early 50 yy birthday present as well :D (25 years early).

Heard so very many great things from it, finally I can't hold it in!! I will be sharing your joy very soon!

• 1 month later...

I have been practicing with the Default settings that were set up automatically when I installed the Hotas and stick. Now I would like to try a hand at the Target software, only problem is after reading the manual I still don't understand the limited explanation of the "Fly NOW!" quick launch

In the "Create association Box" there are 3 box's to fill Title, Path and Associate configuration to fill in . The manual states; "In the Associate Configuration field, click the Browse button and select the profile that corresponds to the selected simulator. The T.A.R.G.E.T profiles are .fcf or .tmc type files"

I am afraid I don't understand what I am to "Browse" for, do I have to create a Target profile first, or has one already been created somewhere in my computer when I installed the Target software

I have been practicing with the Default settings that were set up automatically when I installed the Hotas and stick. Now I would like to try a hand at the Target software, only problem is after reading the manual I still don't understand the limited explanation of the "Fly NOW!" quick launch

In the "Create association Box" there are 3 box's to fill Title, Path and Associate configuration to fill in . The manual states; "In the Associate Configuration field, click the Browse button and select the profile that corresponds to the selected simulator. The T.A.R.G.E.T profiles are .fcf or .tmc type files"

I am afraid I don't understand what I am to "Browse" for, do I have to create a Target profile first, or has one already been created somewhere in my computer when I installed the Target software

That is why everyone advises against using TARGET ... :music_whistling:

(sorry that I can't help - I never bothered to get into that software)

fly now associates a target profile and a games executable so that you can just click the name of the "Fly Now" configuration and it will load the target profile and launch the game executable.

You need to browse for your target profile and there are two different types of profiles. fcf are the "easy" ones you create with the target GUI and the tmc are the more complex ones you create via advanced scripting editor.

TARGET does come with some pre-built profiles but i have never played with them so you will most likely create your own.

I also never use the GUI editor I created all my FC3 profiles with the advanced scripting editor as its much more powerful. Can do anything you can program via ANSI C

thanks for the quick reply's ,whartsell and Fulcrum

My main goal was to use the paddle switch on the Joystick as a modifier so when I want to use the trim switch as a trim switch or with a modifier (paddle switch) as a p.o.v hat but the switch assignment in the options menu does not list the s4 as being able to be used as a modifier

Is there a way to program the sim to be able to use something other than the listed modifiers on the options page?

thanks for the quick reply's ,whartsell and Fulcrum

My main goal was to use the paddle switch on the Joystick as a modifier so when I want to use the trim switch as a trim switch or with a modifier (paddle switch) as a p.o.v hat but the switch assignment in the options menu does not list the s4 as being able to be used as a modifier

Is there a way to program the sim to be able to use something other than the listed modifiers on the options page?

Yes, you can define any button (i.e. the paddle) as a modifier.

Go to Options / Controls tab. The button "Modifier" (lower left corner of the window) opens a popup. Click the left "Add" button to define a simple modifier or the right "Add" button for a switch/toggle modifier. Then you select the device and the button and you can give that new modifier a name (strongly advised to do so - otherwise you have to deal with the cryptic button name all the time).

A simple modifier is only active as long as you press the respective button. A toggle modifier, well, toggles the modify-mode on and off with each use.

Yes, you can define any button (i.e. the paddle) as a modifier..

Thank you very much Flagrum :thumbup: I tried and completed the assignment as per your excellent instructions

p.s. sorry about spelling your name wrong in my earlier reply (I should wear my glasses more when in front of the computer) my bad :doh:

Randy

Just recently picked up the TM-Warthog myself. I've used Autohotkey to map throttle mic switch to control my voice recognition software to navigate the radio comms menu. And have also mapped the grey slider next to the right throttle as my landing gear up/down control.

I am using that slider as a zoom function. It's so nice and smooth compared to the saitek x-52 I use to have ,the sliders and rotaries I tried to use were glitchie and would not give me a steady zoom. I really am blown away by the quality of this hotas

Randy

I have read this topic and I had to respond. I had a big smile when I read " early 50th birthday present" the " old guys rule" posts. I'm 26 and when I think of the time I was drinking with the same friends I still have when I was 18 I always feel old. We love our simulator and the TM hotas warthog is just an amazing piece of hardware and so it seems, an all age man cave toy. I also gave it to myself as a totally necessary gift. have a good one guys :pilotfly:

Ontopic:

I only used TARGET to update my firmware and to set the backlighting for the throttles at the same level as the LED strips in my pit. I edited the curves and all the other stuff in the controls menu in DCS.

Did you find that fairly difficult? I have read up on the thread regarding this, and it sounds a little too daunting for me. I personally do not find the stick movement to be bad, I am sure the grease would make it smoother but I am ok the way it is for now.

I found it quite easy took about an hour to clean of and then apply the EM-30L grease, the only thing you need to ensure is that you pull the black wire so that it doesn't get nipped when putting things back together, it made a huge difference for me in the smoothness, no sticktion as they were calling it.

Next is an extension, but I love the accuracy of this stick as is but want to centre mount it eventually.

III/JG11_Tiger