Use of the M-60?

WildBillKelsoe

I've tried engaging urals with them... Not even a dent... Can the autopilot mode have a hover submode as well?

Which vehicles can be destroyed with the 60's?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I would expect effect on people only, just like in real live. One can try to hit people inside vehicles, effectively stopping it by killing the crew. But other than that, any bigger stuff than people normally isnt the target of a machine gun.

I would've expected more like shooting tyres or cars... an M-60 on a car is a deadly force.... Maybe on a truck it isn't.... Thanks Rongor.. Can you recommend any user missions for the Huey? I'm sick of hauling asses all day long.. Another thing you might help me with; the passengers. Can you remove the gunners at least? or the copilot and the gunners? I want to fly the chopper clean but I also want to ask, how is the weight modelled? is it only the fuel weight? There is a pickup/drop off trigger or script as I understand that probably adds more weight as fuel perhaps when you land and pickup the 'supposedly' troops?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I've tried engaging urals with them... Not even a dent... Can the autopilot mode have a hover submode as well?

Which vehicles can be destroyed with the 60's?

M60 is 7.62 rounds.

In reallife theyre just gonna make a alot of really small holes in a truck and in its wheels, killing the crew and what not. Its gonna make the vehicle unusable at some point, and make the crew have a really bad day.

Some of the engines components will maybe be destroyed but you wont see any hollywood explosions from 7.62 vs truck. :)

So I think its fair that its hard to kill vehicles with M60 in DCS.

Its ment to support and supress infantry and light vehicles.

I dont know how many ppl here really own assault rifles and machine guns....but I will testify to the fact that a M-60(any version, early or late model) will in fact disable and destroy any civilian vehicle....it will cut completely through a modern wood house...on a square hit, it will penetrate the aluminum armor of a APC (there are reports from vietnam vets that an AK-47 can penetrate an APC aluminum armor on a square hit)

I would not hide behind anything less then a full inch or more of steel from a M-60...it will get you eventually, and you will die when it does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhW2UDOpnxA <----M-60 vs car..........p.s. cars have fuel in the back and it runs all the way to the front.....dont stand next to them when on fire or being shot at, they catch fire quicker then a Japanese WW2 airplane

Edited by Davis0079

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

I dont know how many ppl here really own assault rifles and machine guns....but I will testify to the fact that a M-60(any version, early or late model) will in fact disable and destroy any civilian vehicle....it will cut completely through a modern wood house...on a square hit, it will penetrate the aluminum armor of a APC (there are reports from vietnam vets that an AK-47 can penetrate an APC aluminum armor on a square hit)

I would not hide behind anything less then a full inch or more of steel from a M-60...it will get you eventually, and you will die when it does...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhW2UDOpnxA <----M-60 vs car..........p.s. cars have fuel in the back and it runs all the way to the front.....dont stand next to them when on fire or being shot at, they catch fire quicker then a Japanese WW2 airplane

I doubt very many, but a semi-automatic or bolt action 7.62 X 51 is still capable of demonstrating the effectiveness of that round. If I'm not mistaken, it's not typically used as an anti-material round in military use although I'm sure I'd open up on a truck if I had to.

Having said that, yes it will certainly disable most vehicle with a few shots to the engine compartment. It's going to punch the radiator easily (any rifle bullet will) and probably do some damage to the block if it gets to it. Doors will not stop it unless it's an up armored vehicle. There are some ballistic vests that will stop a 7.62 though so armored vehicles can probably shrug them off pretty easily.

Anyway, you're right, most vehicles aren't going to stand up to that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was a machine gunner for most of my army life, and I can tell you that it´s no problem at all to seriously f*ck up a truck or even a light APC with a machine gun. Heck, I could even cut through brick walls with it, and dropping a tree was not really a problem either.

Granted, that was with an MG3 (the modern day MG42) which fires a lot more rounds per minute than the M60, but it´s the same caliber (7.62x51).

With some experience it was even possible to deal a mission kill to a full blown MBT. Pretty risky, but perfectly doable if you knew what you were doing.

BTW, does anyone else think the sound of the M60 in the game is completely wrong? To me, the M60 always had a very distinctive sound and was easily recognizable, while the M60 in the game sounds rather generic.

- Two miles of road lead nowhere, two miles of runway lead everywhere -

Click here for system specs

I was a machine gunner for most of my army life, and I can tell you that it´s no problem at all to seriously f*ck up a truck or even a light APC with a machine gun. Heck, I could even cut through brick walls with it, and dropping a tree was not really a problem either.

Granted, that was with an MG3 (the modern day MG42) which fires a lot more rounds per minute than the M60, but it´s the same caliber (7.62x51).

With some experience it was even possible to deal a mission kill to a full blown MBT. Pretty risky, but perfectly doable if you knew what you were doing.

BTW, does anyone else think the sound of the M60 in the game is completely wrong? To me, the M60 always had a very distinctive sound and was easily recognizable, while the M60 in the game sounds rather generic.

I have to ask...how do you go about engaging a tank with it? I guess I'm asking what part of the tank are you engaging to make it ineffective? I'm seriously curious.

I agree on the sound. The M60 is pretty distinctive....you know it's a pretty hefty piece of firepower when it's going off. The in game sound is fairly generic to me.

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have to ask...how do you go about engaging a tank with it? I guess I'm asking what part of the tank are you engaging to make it ineffective? I'm seriously curious.

I agree on the sound. The M60 is pretty distinctive....you know it's a pretty hefty piece of firepower when it's going off. The in game sound is fairly generic to me.

The sights, driver sights are good but most important are the commander's sights and gunner's sights. If they're disabled the tank isn't gonna be useless but certainly severely limited.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing

The sights, driver sights are good but most important are the commander's sights and gunner's sights. If they're disabled the tank isn't gonna be useless but certainly severely limited.

I thought you could try to attack the sights but it seems like if that was very likely to work they'd do something about them. But in any case, would that be a mission kill even though the tank could still technically blow stuff up (to use my redneck lingo)? It would certainly be hard for it to engage anything so maybe that's good enough. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The sights are certainly the most vulnerable part. Just how vulnerable I don't know but I would imagine not too difficult. If you've destroyed the sights, particularly of the gunner and commander then that tank could be considered mission killed as it can no longer aim. Driver sights aren't bad but it could still be guided by the commander. (Obviously an A-10 is also a good way to stop a tank. :D)

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing