F-15C Radar and Target Acquisition Range

turn on the radar by pressing 'i'.

Maybe it would be a good idea to read the manual about the different acquisition modes and radar functions, or you will be pretty lost.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Hi. I've read the manual and I'm performing the following steps

1. Select LRS - 2.

2. Turn on Radar - I.

3. Increase scan Z - RCtrl+=.

HUD still says 'VISUAL' in lower right and VSD says '10' in upper right.

I don't seem to be able to get radar lock outside 10km and the HUD Display is a mess for some reason.

Edited by popcorn

It will always show VISUAL. You can always use AMRAAM in that mode.

Use keyboard (not keypad) - and = to adjust the VSD display range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I think I'm getting there. Seems to be more involved than the Russian radar.

The scan elevation limit numbers next to the scan limit circles on the VSD - what are they in? Altitude ftx1000 or degrees?

Thanks.

Now what about scan zone left and right? I can't see this changing anything on the VSD. I can see that reducing and increasing the horizontal range moves the azimuth limits but how is moving it left and right being represented?

Yep, and it's no longer valid for the F-15. Use the TDC. If you're scanning full azimuth though obviously attempting to move the AZ scan zone is moot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes on retrospect I think I was double designating the same target accidentally. Mind you the manual could do with some clarity there because it leads you to believe that you should double designate a target before firing to enter STT.

Here is my work which may save as a help to other people as new as me. The F-15C radar is a difficult beast to master. What are your recommendations for a WVR radar mode? When I say WVR I mean within 10-15km but not necessarily visible (otherwise the radar is moot). I've been using VS but when you're turning hard the vertical scan doesn't seem to go vertical, or does it always orientate to ground vertical?

TWS Double KIll.trk

Depends on what you're doing.

Can't see your target?

- You know he's in-plane as you're turning, so use VS

- You know exactly where he is, so use bore

- You know more or less where he is, use VS and roll it around slowly

- You need to quickly search for targets, use GACQ (guns)

Can see your target?

- You're in a turning fight, use VS

- He's right in front of you and not turning much and you're not turning match, use bore (but you could use any mode here)

- You're in a guns fight and you don't necessarily care about your radar being locked on at the moment (after all, shooting is the last part of the dogfight), leave it in GACQ.

These are just rules of thumb, you might decide to choose the use of a different mode depending on the situation.

VS always orients along the line on the HuD.

The fastest mod is bore. All other modes do require some scan time - VS requires 1-2 sec unless you're lucky and the antenna happens to be in position to see the target quickly. GACQ requires a little more time to search its entire space, perhaps up to 5-6, but it searches 20deg x 60deg, so it covers a lot of space.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is GACQ entered when you switch to guns in any radar mode? Is it the best mode if you don't know where they are?

I take it TWS with Russian fighters can't perform the same ripple fire function as with the F-15C?

A final question. Why do those top wing flaps keep deploying automatically in Russian fighters? Is it to do with low airspeed?

GACQ may be the best mode if you don't know where they are or if you are sanitizing airspace, but like all auto modes in-game, it's limited to 10nm.

Russian TWS (SNP mode) is for situational awareness and some other details, but there is no DTWS mode like in the F-15C. For the MiG-29S, you get a 2TWS which can guide R-77's to two different targets.

I don't know what you mean by 'top flaps' ... the flanker uses a flaperon system, ie. the ailerons and flaps are the same control surface. The Su-27's fly by wire system constantly optimizes the L/D ration of the wing to give you the best lift/turn rate, so you will see flaps and slats move as speed changes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was talking about the green lights above the wings on the indication (lower left of cockpit).

Is the 2TWS separate from the TWS (marked S"2 or something)? Ah that's handy!

The Russian VS scans don't auto-lock, is that right?

Edited by popcorn

The auto acquisition range is more like 7-8nm. There is also a way to engage bore sight along with guns that basically removes the delay, but only helpful if you can actually see your target. Unless you use view zooming, most targets (except SU-33) pretty much impossible to track visually beyond 2nm. I have zoom mapped to my track IR so that I can see bandits attempting to enter the notch within 5nm before they drop off of radar.

The auto acquisition range is more like 7-8nm. There is also a way to engage bore sight along with guns that basically removes the delay, but only helpful if you can actually see your target. Unless you use view zooming, most targets (except SU-33) pretty much impossible to track visually beyond 2nm. I have zoom mapped to my track IR so that I can see bandits attempting to enter the notch within 5nm before they drop off of radar.

When you say 'zoom mapped' do you mean 'target range'. The manual suggests it's possible to move the IRST elevation and azimuth, is it correct?

Can you manually adjust the elevation scan range to make it wider as with the azimuth range?

When it refers to +/- 300/600 in azimuth range, what are the units?

Edited by popcorn

Can't see your target?

- You know more or less where he is, use VS and roll it around slowly

- You need to quickly search for targets, use GACQ (guns)

GACQ requires a little more time to search its entire space, perhaps up to 5-6, but it searches 20deg x 60deg, so it covers a lot of space.

That hits exactly my actual problem which mode/method to choose at searching targets within close range, say under 10nm but too far to see them. So You would say the best mode for this would be the gun mode (GACQ). If You have no clue where the enemy could. Didnt get to this idea before as I thought gun mode would be only for very close range short before actually firing the gun. This 20deg x 60deg window You talked of. Is it vertical 20 and hoizontal 60 or vize versa. Is this window always orientated at the longitudinal axis of the plane? (means where you are actually looking) or is it always orientaded at a given angle to the horizon (like BVR-mode). That info should turn my close range combat to the very better :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good combat flight is understanding the nature of things and the feeling to handle it.