F-15C Radar and Target Acquisition Range

That hits exactly my actual problem which mode/method to choose at searching targets within close range, say under 10nm but too far to see them. So You would say the best mode for this would be the gun mode (GACQ). If You have no clue where the enemy could. Didnt get to this idea before as I thought gun mode would be only for very close range short before actually firing the gun. This 20deg x 60deg window You talked of. Is it vertical 20 and hoizontal 60 or vize versa. Is this window always orientated at the longitudinal axis of the plane? (means where you are actually looking) or is it always orientaded at a given angle to the horizon (like BVR-mode). That info should turn my close range combat to the very better :-)

+/-30 wide and +/-20 in height (p110 of manual), orientated in line with plane axis, so the width actually becomes the vertical in a hard turn.

I just testes it vs a really big bird, An50. And it seems that the scan zone of the gun radar is almost the same as in vertical. I locked and unlocked the An many times and from all angles an it alway locks in a very narrow zone from the hud center to about two lengths above it. Do I do something wrong? You just have to choose gun mode I suppose and radar on .....??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good combat flight is understanding the nature of things and the feeling to handle it.

When you say 'zoom mapped' do you mean 'target range'. The manual suggests it's possible to move the IRST elevation and azimuth, is it correct?

Can you manually adjust the elevation scan range to make it wider as with the azimuth range?

When it refers to +/- 300/600 in azimuth range, what are the units?

By zoom, I mean the view point zoom. By leaning into the screen I can see the target aircraft if/when they enter the notch 'WVR', and attempt to keep them locked within the bore scan radius. Since notching works against bore sight, the best thing to is maintain visual within 3-5nm.

• 2 weeks later...
The auto acquisition range is more like 7-8nm.

You mean this with radar as chosen sensor I suppose. With IRST only activated I guess the range depends on target pursuit. But often I can get here locks via vertical scan at far longer ranges (close 50km). I wonder why this doesnt work with radar AND IRST activated. With this you only get the radar range and not the longer IRST range.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good combat flight is understanding the nature of things and the feeling to handle it.