Giving up on the Huey till its patched

W1ndy

I paid for the product and although in beta I expect it to be functioning. Otherwise put out a FREE beta, I will not complain...

You pre-paid for a product that has not yet been released. As a reward for your "early adoption", you have been given FREE access to the beta software. As such, there is no guarantee that it will work perfectly or even work at all.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last thing I want BELSIMTEK is to dumb down this current flight model. I think it is right on. I have hundreds of virtual hours in the Shark and it took 40 plus hours just to figure that monster out. It took me about 10 hours to get proficient in the UH-1H. This is only because I mastered the Shark. I still crash in the UH-1H just trying to land. The only time I crash the Shark is if I am doing something stupid like a loop and some other ridiculous aerobatics. The UH-1H is a beast and from what I have read and watched on YouTube it is not easy.

I too can land it anywhere. Practice, practice, practice so you can overcome the nuances and when you get it you will have a great sense of accomplishment. I have over 55 hours in the DCS Huey and in that time I have come love the way it fly's. It's been over ten years since I flew the UH_1H in real life and this model takes me back to those days. If you can "master" this model, I do believe you could get into a real Huey (with an instructor) and have a good sense of what it takes to control it and not kill yourself.

You have to have the mind set that this is how a real helicopter flies. It's true that not everyone is cut out to fly helicopters because of the difficulties involved. Fixed wing aircraft want to fly and helicopters don't, so you have to master them and make them fly (think wild bronco) even in real life. In flight school, when we were first given the controls, the Instructor Pilots had a name for this experience...the candidate rodeo...because you had ten plus helicopters jumping around a stage field like a bunch of wild bronco, so don't feel like you should get it right off...it take patience and practice...just keep trying and you'll be flying in formation in no time.

Edited by flyer49

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

229th battalion, 1st Cavalry

Fixed,

all it took was an uninstall and re-install... for some reason the updater did not work, even running it stand-alone, it did NOT update the Huey, even though it went through the process and gave no error message at any point... Go figure. Uninstalling and reinstalling v.186 as suggested (thanks outlawal2) fixed pretty much everything.

I can now flight the thing without swearing every two seconds and land without getting sweat all over. I can also aim the nose, shoot and INTENTIONALLY hit stuff with projectiles, whereas before it was all a matter of timing and luck... It now feels as it should, IMHO.

The only issue I still have is that at the beginning of the flight the controls are somewhat "out of sync" and it takes a couple of full range motions of the cyclic to sync them with the helo, which is quite annoying because from the ground with engines running it has a tendency to lift without any input and control...

Edited by SPAS79

• ED Team

The only issue I still have is that at the beginning of the flight the controls are somewhat "out of sync" and it takes a couple of full range motions of the cyclic to sync them with the helo, which is quite annoying because from the ground with engines running it has a tendency to lift without any input and control...

Have you checked your controllers are calibrated in windows ?

Sounds like you have calibration issues

or you have a controller conflict, bare in mind DCS sets a default profile for all columns in options including axis

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Have you checked your controllers are calibrated in windows ?

Sounds like you have calibration issues

or you have a controller conflict, bare in mind DCS sets a default profile for all columns in options including axis

They are calibrated, it is just a little lag when I click the "FLY" button, it takes half a second for the controller to come "alive". There are no other controls installed on the system (i.e. no virtual joysticks or other physical devices...)

Fixed,

all it took was an uninstall and re-install... for some reason the updater did not work, even running it stand-alone, it did NOT update the Huey, even though it went through the process and gave no error message at any point... Go figure. Uninstalling and reinstalling v.186 as suggested (thanks outlawal2) fixed pretty much everything.

I can now flight the thing without swearing every two seconds and land without getting sweat all over. I can also aim the nose, shoot and INTENTIONALLY hit stuff with projectiles, whereas before it was all a matter of timing and luck... It now feels as it should, IMHO.

EXCELLENT! The Huey module is brilliant and having those kinds of issues is a damned shame so I am really glad that helped.. Now Practice, practice!

ENJOY

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Hi Spa...I had the same problem with my X-52. It turned out to be my control mapping. The default mapping had a slider on my throttle (Collective) set as the collective so when I raised my collective (the throttle unit) the default sent a signal to the slider to adjust, causing me to go out of control. The game was getting conflicting signals from my flight control system. It took someone from the forums to advise me to go into options in the game and re-map all of your inputs....hope that helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

229th battalion, 1st Cavalry

Hold on...

You have a cheap excuse for a joystick like MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, and then you complain about the Huey not feeling realistic?

How are you controlling the collective, with that itty bitty throttle paddle?

I'm sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've read on these forums in a long while, and I've read some silly stuff, believe you me.

Until you get a proper controller setup worthy of DCS simulations, I'd suggest you stop complaining and start saving up.

And remember this: any short handle joystick will feel somewhat unrealistic for heli flight (even top notch joysticks, let alone poor plastic stuff like the one you own). If you want realism, you can buy (for example) the TM Warthog and extend the arm (some guys have made a functional extension that really helps).

Wow!!!

You have just insulted THE only component in my flight simulator experience that keeps me flying for the last 10 years.:furious: And I bet it will hold even more if I do not break it in the proces of moding it to accept TM hanldles.

And no, I do not save money by not buying ''proper flight controls''.

I own TM hotas cougar, AND TM worthog, and guess what, they both keep a nice place on my bookshelf (ok, I use worthogs throttle), until I find some spare time and mod my MS ff2 to accept TM handles.

Poor plastic? that one made me laugh all day long mate...:megalol: I use and abuse this ''poor plastic thing'' for ten years now, I even spilled half a glass of water on its handle base by mistake, ff motors stuck on one side, I quickly take out power and usb, unscrew and plow with air, screue again and ready to fly... This ''poor plastic''... Many times I thought that was made of PLASTITANIUM :smilewink:...

About precission? I fly precise aerobatics (not alone, with a live wingman) I fly precise ILS approaches... I seldom use autopilot to keep my height when I fly 15-20 feet above sea level...

things that many people owning high teck flight controls like you do , just dream to accomplice.

The only thing that you are correct is the onboard throttle and rudder which are not ''so precise' for the huey but steel VERY ''ok'' for an acceptable flight.

You sound like a guy that just bought a new ferrari and he is about to eat dust from an other guy in a ''poor'' honda civic.

:blow:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Hold on...

You have a cheap excuse for a joystick like MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, and then you complain about the Huey not feeling realistic?

How are you controlling the collective, with that itty bitty throttle paddle?

I'm sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've read on these forums in a long while, and I've read some silly stuff, believe you me.

Until you get a proper controller setup worthy of DCS simulations, I'd suggest you stop complaining and start saving up.

And remember this: any short handle joystick will feel somewhat unrealistic for heli flight (even top notch joysticks, let alone poor plastic stuff like the one you own). If you want realism, you can buy (for example) the TM Warthog and extend the arm (some guys have made a functional extension that really helps).

Sorry, you're confusing price with quality (a common mistake).

It may not look much, and it may not have so many fancy buttons, but the MSFFBII is probably the best FFB stick available, and adds greatly to Flight sim experience in all ED's products.

You should hope your current gear gives as long service.

& did it not occur to you that you can use any throttle you want in conjunction with the MSFFBII, and map the slider to anything you want ?

Cheers.

Hi Spa...I had the same problem with my X-52. It turned out to be my control mapping. The default mapping had a slider on my throttle (Collective) set as the collective so when I raised my collective (the throttle unit) the default sent a signal to the slider to adjust, causing me to go out of control. The game was getting conflicting signals from my flight control system. It took someone from the forums to advise me to go into options in the game and re-map all of your inputs....hope that helps.

Hi Flyer 49!! Thanks for tuning in!

So the collective should be mapped as? Slider or not?

Map the slider as the "Corrector" which is basically the throttle.

Use your full throttle as collective, if you go into tune axis when you click on it in options, you can invert the throttle if needed, so the collective travels the same direction on screen as your throttle in real life.

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Map the slider as the "Corrector" which is basically the throttle.

Use your full throttle as collective, if you go into tune axis when you click on it in options, you can invert the throttle if needed, so the collective travels the same direction on screen as your throttle in real life.

Oh gosh... No, I've got proper collective

pua1.jpg

And what I'm fiddling with it's the controls settings...

Hi SPAS79, map it us a slider. By doing so you will be using all available travel us ''+'' values from 0% to 100%.

If you map it the other way you will be telling the program to use values from -50% to +50%

This kind of map is only used for axes that need a center value, like rudder, ailron, elevator.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

SNIP

And what I'm fiddling with it's the controls settings...

You certainly have ;)

Sorry misunderstanding after not reading previous posts :)

Where did you get the kit from mate?

That is an awesome controller setup you've got there. :thumbup: I'm pondering, if I should invest in this set - I'd keep the Saitek pedals, though.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

What is the price of this setup +-

£540 if you are in th eUK or have to pay VAT on it!

Well out of my league I am afraid :(