Giving up on the Huey till its patched

W1ndy

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep at it mate - when you eventually find that right sequence/technique you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. You've just got to get the muscle memory built up. Without a doubt the landings are the most challenging aspect of this, but once you nail it then it opens up a whole new chapter.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

... This is a simulator if you want easy play BF3 or Arma 3

Just yesterday I participated in an Arma3 beta coop squad night and watched 2 teammates crash the heli, where this guys had no problems in the alpha or in Arma2.

I did persuade them to buy the Huey at the summer sale and am looking very much forward to our first AirCav multiplayer event. :lol:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

You simply need to practise, practise and practice - there is no other way.

The Flighmodel feels believable apart from the VRS kicking in to easy, but thats something they are working on.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Windy, post some tracks of your attempts then perhaps the folks here can give you some first hand tips. Its hard, but when you get the hang of it you can land without effort at all.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

I don't believe it would be that unstable.

Helicopters are a bitch until you really know how to handle them... ;)

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

Helicopters are a bitch until you really know how to handle them... ;)

Yes,

actually got hours on R22 and 44 IRL. Working on my ATPL(H), can fly everything rotary on sims, FSX Dodo, others + Helicopter Total realism (in FSX) and most of the pay (and free) helo addons for X-Plane (including Dreamfoil's R22, which is bitchier that its real counterpart...).

I have full size controls (costed me and arm and a leg but they're good http://www.komodosimulations.co.uk/) but still cannot keep the damn Huey steady, aiming weapons and firing is impossible, you might hit something eventually but you'll need to get darn close.

Yes the new flight model improved things a little, it went from UN-FLYABLE to almost humanley manageable but it is still FAR from reality, IMHO. Now, I've never flown a 205, but as said I regularly fly and R44 which would somewhat compare in size (although a little smaller) and has no stabilization and anything, is a teetering rotor (like the Huey) but no stabilizer (dampening) bar. Still I manage to HOVER and fly the darn R44 in UK winter weather... I would like to know the reason why I'm not able to fly the DCS Huey in the caucasian summer??

Was this tested with proper controls or would I be better off with, say an X52 or Warthog? Because if that's the case the Huey is a waste of money. A very nice toy, but that's it... a toy...

Hi all...I flew the UH-1H, Blackhawk, TH-55 and Bell Jet Ranger in real life and find the flight characteristics of the DCS Huey to be very much like the real thing. You have to remember to put a lot of left pedal in when at a hover or else the torque will spin you around the rotor axis. I use the X-52 right now but also have (but don't have it hook-up yet) Thrust Master with Combat pedals.

There is a distinct vibration when you reach the transition from hovering flight to forward flight at approximately 10 to 15 knots (Effective Transitional Lift). Without a long drawn out discussion it is basically the speed where you outrun the vortexes (turbulence created by your rotor system). This is where you will get the vibration in real helicopters. It’s more prominent in some helicopters than others. If you have a desire to get the feel of a real helicopter you have to accept this and learn to control it.

I'm also fixed wing rated and find helicopter flight more exciting. A fixed wing aircraft inherently wants to fly where a helicopter does not. It takes a lot of effort to fly a helicopter. The toughest part of flying a helicopter is hovering and landing from a hover. Just remember hovering is in the pedals…think left pedal…left pedal…left pedal and once you find the correct amount of LEFT PEDAL you’ll have it.

Edited by flyer49
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

229th battalion, 1st Cavalry

...Because if that's the case the Huey is a waste of money. A very nice toy, but that's it... a toy...

Until you can communicate like an adult you're unlikely to get much assistance.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

I would say your control setup needs tweaking.

I use positive 12 points of curvature in the axis tune for both pitch and roll on my t16000m, which is 8" tall and has hall sensors instead of pots, so it registers minute movements precisely. Your setup will probably need negative 15 to 20 points of curvature. Play with the axis tune till it behaves/responds like you feel it should.

I don't believe it would be that unstable. So much effort to just land seems unlikely. Fingers crossed that it's looked at otherwise its a waste of money in my case. Too boring just trying to manage the thing.
My friend flew HUEY for more than 10 years, and he told me that what we have now is pretty accurate. :joystick: Helicopter is an unstable machine, it takes practice to master it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CM HAF-X | Corsair HX1000i | ASUS P8P67Pro | Intel Core i7 2600 @ 4.0GHz | Corsair CWCH70 | G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB * 2 RAID 0 | WD Caviar Green 2TB | Windows 10 Professional X64 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedal

Yes,

actually got hours on R22 and 44 IRL.

You realize you are comparing a 300 hp gas powered helicopter to something carrying a roughly 1800 hp jet engine on it right? I would never have thought I would see the day someone compares a r22 or r44 to a bell helicopter other than the old and faithful bell 47. Not saying its 100% in game yet, but its pretty close, with a few minor annoyances that have been confirmed to be fixed in up coming patches I don't see what your issue is. The thing is flyable even with those annoyances, to a pretty realistic degree (for a toy).

W1ndy, try bumping your graphics down. The UH1 wasn't handling right for me at first either and I noticed that the cyclic movements had a slight delay making it impossible to fly. I set my graphics settings to minimum and then it flew how I'd expected. I had to tweak the graphics up to where I don't notice poor performance and save some of the visuals.

Good luck

KEEP AT IT !!!, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH !!!!!

Its the most challaging and therfore most rewarding part of flying the huey.

In saying that mastering landing the beast is one thing...Do it under fire and its a whole new learning experience putting it nicley.

I7 4770K@4.5 GHZ, Gigabyte Z87X-OC FORCE, 24GB Ram, Aorus GTX 1080 TI extreme edition, 500 GB SSD,120 GB SSD , 2TB HDD, Corsair H80i, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Logitech G940,TrackIR 5 + Pro Clip

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Until you can communicate like an adult you're unlikely to get much assistance.

- Bear

Why, ok... However the thing does NOT behave like a helicopter should. Now to the other gentleman stating the difference between the R22 / 44 and the 205, I also flew the 206 for a bit although I'm not rated in it (just went up for 1.2 hrs, doing autos, sloped ground landings and limited power) and after flying the R22 the 206 feels like flying an armchair. I would expect that from a 205, not MORE instability.

Anyway, I will keep working on the controls, but I have a bad bad feeling about this thing. Sorry to ruin it for you but as of now it's been a very bad experience for me...

Yes,

actually got hours on R22 and 44 IRL. Working on my ATPL(H), can fly everything rotary on sims, FSX Dodo, others + Helicopter Total realism (in FSX) and most of the pay (and free) helo addons for X-Plane (including Dreamfoil's R22, which is bitchier that its real counterpart...).

I have full size controls (costed me and arm and a leg but they're good http://www.komodosimulations.co.uk/) but still cannot keep the damn Huey steady, aiming weapons and firing is impossible, you might hit something eventually but you'll need to get darn close.

Yes the new flight model improved things a little, it went from UN-FLYABLE to almost humanley manageable but it is still FAR from reality, IMHO. Now, I've never flown a 205, but as said I regularly fly and R44 which would somewhat compare in size (although a little smaller) and has no stabilization and anything, is a teetering rotor (like the Huey) but no stabilizer (dampening) bar. Still I manage to HOVER and fly the darn R44 in UK winter weather... I would like to know the reason why I'm not able to fly the DCS Huey in the caucasian summer??

Was this tested with proper controls or would I be better off with, say an X52 or Warthog? Because if that's the case the Huey is a waste of money. A very nice toy, but that's it... a toy...

In soviet Russia you dnt fly helicopters,

helicopters fly you;)

I dnt know how FSX floaters fly or float arround but when I mastered the huey I went to back to take the sharky for a ride and I felt like :huh: ''did I load a .trk replay or a mission?''

:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

I strangely observed that I can do stops with the Huey better and better. Still far from "acceptable" in real world but I can see the light. Definitely it's a grinding process so the mind and limbs develop the proper "apps".

Performance increase (read FPS) is a plus. Also a FFB stick helps a lot... to see you need FFB pedals but that's a impossibility for now :D.

Oh... and another strange thing I observed... it doesn't bother me anymore the vibration when making the transitions... actually it helps as intended to give you the cues needed to be felt with body and if you just say to yourself that the shaking is not only visual but physical the mind says... OK.

And another small thing... I flew afterwards the Shark... I was cruising at around 250km/h IAS towards target area and boom! I got hit by an Igla and several more missiles exploded near me after engaging defensives... I lost in few seconds, gradually both engines and much of the avionics and the AP channels went "christmas tree" mode. I didn't had time to jettison payload or any thing but I found my self I belly landed the thing while scratching my nose... When I went external to see how the chopper looked I got shocked. It was a total ruin but somehow I landed it... easily and never thinking to eject. heh...

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Honestly I've never flown DCS Huey but... do you not understand that real aircraft are harder to fly than simulator aircraft? They are not perfectly stable, and almost all aircraft require somewhat constant management. It's a good thing... this is a study simulation, it will require practice and knowledge to master.

Flew both real and sim helis. With sim aircraft you have no real sense of inertia and no "feel". This in my opinion makes sim flying more of a challenge than the real macoy. With sims you tend yo have your eyes inside the cocpit more in order to "feel" what the craft is doing (especialy with regards to vertical speed). This is not a very good habit in real life (except for IFR). As already stated by a number of previous posts practise makes perfect. Landing where intended in FSX for example is no real accomplishment (no VRS moddelled). However the feeling of accomplishment in having full control of the huey in DCS is what simmers are after. BTW the first time I tried to hover in real life with Allouette III I could control the beast within an area roughly the size of a football field at best. I also think that on final release of the flight model is when we can really scrutinize and "judge" the characteristics.

Happy (safe) landings.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Honestly I've never flown DCS Huey but... do you not understand that real aircraft are harder to fly than simulator aircraft? They are not perfectly stable, and almost all aircraft require somewhat constant management. It's a good thing... this is a study simulation, it will require practice and knowledge to master.

That was exactly my point...

Never f;own a real aircraft but Im finding that after 10 hours in DCS Huey I'm able to land safely on the oil rig 90% of the time and hovers etc are becoming a lot easier, I dont use trim as it tends to confuse me as to where the stick is, but Im used to long flight times in ROF with the Warthog and most of those planes require constant forward pressure so I guess I'm just used to it.

I'm loving the Huey I gave BS a go for a while but I wanted to try out a full on helicopter and with VRS etc modelled this bird is a huge challenge but that's what makes it fun, well when you get it right.

Can't comment on the FM as I've never been in a real Huey but it does feel right, if that means diddly, damn good product for a Beta.

III/JG11_Tiger

Why, ok... However the thing does NOT behave like a helicopter should. Now to the other gentleman stating the difference between the R22 / 44 and the 205, I also flew the 206 for a bit although I'm not rated in it (just went up for 1.2 hrs, doing autos, sloped ground landings and limited power) and after flying the R22 the 206 feels like flying an armchair. I would expect that from a 205, not MORE instability.

Anyway, I will keep working on the controls, but I have a bad bad feeling about this thing. Sorry to ruin it for you but as of now it's been a very bad experience for me...

I can't explain your experience except to suggest that you might have an autopatcher problem and might still be running an older version.

The current flight model is not perfect and it's still being tweaked and improved, but it's by far the best flight model available on PC.

It feels nothing like FSX or X-Plane and very much like the real thing.

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

I can't explain your experience except to suggest that you might have an autopatcher problem and might still be running an older version.

The current flight model is not perfect and it's still being tweaked and improved, but it's by far the best flight model available on PC.

It feels nothing like FSX or X-Plane and very much like the real thing.

- Bear

So would you suggest I re-download the whole thing? I would I need to go about it?