Giving up on the Huey till its patched

W1ndy

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So would you suggest I re-download the whole thing? I would I need to go about it?

Before going to all that drama, open your dcs world up and look at the bottom right corner, that will indicate the version number, post it here then folks can see if its the latest patch.

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

Next thing were going to here is where do you plug in your xbox controller? LoL...

I will feel ashamed, but i have to make a confession: I play DCS with the Xbox360 controller for 2 years now (A-10C and since last month the Huey). It's working pretty well especially in the Huey were you don't need as many buttons as you need in the A-10C. Actually it's also working pretty well in the A-10C since you can assign modifier buttons which is really aswesome and allows you to assign controller buttons multiple times (e.g. i have assigned the four directional D-pad buttons to Start, X and Y which gives me 12 funtions and is very usefull for the coolie hats and switches). But i would never play without my TrackIR though.

Landing the Huey was pretty hard in the beginning, but after flying it for some weeks now it's pretty easy to land, even with the Xbox-controller :D

(Before someone asks: Yes, I'm always and only playing in sim mode with max. realism settings :joystick:)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I spent the first 10 or so hours logbook time just lifting off, hover, and ground taxiíng really with a few brief circuits around the airfield.

Most of (almost all) my landings were fireballs, but slowly got the hang of it.

Some fine tuning on curves to what worked for me and my hardware and now the Huey is a breeze to fly and easy'ish to land.

I still 'bin' a landing here and there when I rush it or loose concentration but for the most part one could feel relatively safe being PAX in my Huey with me at the controls (most of the time, hahaha :) )

Thermaltake View 91, Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra, i9 9900K, Corsair H150i Pro, 32Gb Trident Z 3200, Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2080ti, Corsair AX1200i, Warthog A-10 Hotas, MFG Crosswind pedals, TiR5 Pro, HP Reverb Pro

v7y0dd.jpg

Seriously though, it's not the controller's fault, ever. I just flew around for an hour using the profile above and had no issues at all. With the Huey it's not about super precision and tiny joystick motions, it's about learning and anticipating how the aircraft is going to react to your inputs.

(I like to show this to people who think it's too difficult to fly DCS aircraft without rudder pedals, FFB stick etc.)

v7y0dd.jpg

Seriously though, it's not the controller's fault, ever. I just flew around for an hour using the profile above and had no issues at all. With the Huey it's not about super precision and tiny joystick motions, it's about learning and anticipating how the aircraft is going to react to your inputs.

(I like to show this to people who think it's too difficult to fly DCS aircraft without rudder pedals, FFB stick etc.)

See this is what I mean... Working fine with normal controllers but not with full size controls... I should give it a try with the x52 and see if the situation improves. If that's the case, I will know what to do. I will however post the version as soon as I will be back home, however it updated a couple of days ago after a while I hadn't opened it...

See this is what I mean... Working fine with normal controllers but not with full size controls... I should give it a try with the x52 and see if the situation improves. If that's the case, I will know what to do. I will however post the version as soon as I will be back home, however it updated a couple of days ago after a while I hadn't opened it...

Have you tuned the Axes at all on your controller? Most of us with more common controllers have to tune the axes to get the right feel. Some degree of this may be required for your controller. I suspect you may need to tune in the opposite direction than most of us

Now to the other gentleman stating the difference between the R22 / 44 and the 205, I also flew the 206 for a bit although I'm not rated in it (just went up for 1.2 hrs, doing autos, sloped ground landings and limited power) and after flying the R22 the 206 feels like flying an armchair. I would expect that from a 205, not MORE instability.

I wouldn't expect a whole lot more instability from a 205B either. But....! THE 205B is not a UH-1H. Its a similar (almost identical <-almost) airframe, but certainly not the same aircraft. So your comparisons are still wrong.

I am assuming you are referring to the B model here, sorry. But even so, the 206 and 205B are far from the huey we have in game.

I would also like to point out that you have probably flow in the much more advanced (technologically speaking) versions. The avionics, controls, and much more are far more advanced even though the outside has not shown too much change.

Edited by pbishop

It has taken me a while to get comfortable with the Huey. Especially with my focus being on the A-10c. But with practice I am getting better with it each time I fly. I can now get her safe back on the ground and undamaged on a regular basis. I can usually get her landed in the spot I intend. I am still having trouble making any type of hot landing. But it just take a constant eye on the rate of decent and keeping the collective moving to keep it at a safe rate. As the muscle memory builds it become more habit and it takes less focus on that aspect.

This airframe is less forgiving than the BlackShark because it does not have computers keeping you safe. But it does a great job teaching you how to fly a helicopter manually. I really think the Huey will result in my being able to fly the shark more effectively.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wouldn't expect a whole lot more instability from a 205 either. But....! THE 205 is not a UH-1H. Its a similar (almost identical <-almost) airframe, but certainly not the same aircraft. So your comparisons are still wrong.

I am assuming you are referring to the B model here, sorry. But even so, the 206 and 205B are far from the huey we have in game.

Ok, now this is like saying that a 2009 audi A8 is totally different from the 2011 audi A8... The 205 is the huey with some minor modifications applied (e. g. The paintjob) I would accept the similarities with the 206 are marginal but I was just making a point of how moving up the chain to bigger helicopters you would expect more stability, not less... As in real life. I will do more testing, fiddle with the controls, but still can't get rid of that bad feeling I have...

Ok, now this is like saying that a 2009 audi A8 is totally different from the 2011 audi A8... The 205 is the huey with some minor modifications applied (e. g. The paintjob) I would accept the similarities with the 206 are marginal but I was just making a point of how moving up the chain to bigger helicopters you would expect more stability, not less... As in real life. I will do more testing, fiddle with the controls, but still can't get rid of that bad feeling I have...

Ok, you are missing the point. These are not cars. And I said I assume if you flew around in a 206 it was a B model, so we will compare apples with apples and a 205B. Much more than a paintjob went into the upgrade to a 205B. And to think that it flies the same as an A model is incorrect. Stability is something that is being constantly worked on at bell. And the huey II is an even further upgrade with much more stability. Comparing the two is more like comparing a 1970's chevy pickup to a 2013 pickup. They are built on pretty much the same frames, but their handling, suspension, engine, transmission, etc... is not the same. They are very far apart generation wise, unlike your ridiculous audi analogy. I have driven both, and I know what the difference is. Much like the huey II and the uh-1h, i have been in both. They are worlds apart. Now if you don't agree with me, that is fine. Like I said similarities are there, the original 205 was a painted UH-1H, but those have all mostly long been upgraded and don't fly quite the same anymore. Similar, but not identical.

Now, to say the model in game is unflyable is laughable at best. There are a few quirks, when I was informed they will be still further adjusting it, I will wait and then post my opinion on the changes. Nothing is wrong with you having an opinion, but don't ever compare a r22 or r44 to a bell again, lol.

Well I have a FF2 and pedals and they weren't cheap. Also I dont play BF3 or Arma.

Hold on...

You have a cheap excuse for a joystick like MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, and then you complain about the Huey not feeling realistic?

How are you controlling the collective, with that itty bitty throttle paddle?

I'm sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've read on these forums in a long while, and I've read some silly stuff, believe you me.

Until you get a proper controller setup worthy of DCS simulations, I'd suggest you stop complaining and start saving up.

And remember this: any short handle joystick will feel somewhat unrealistic for heli flight (even top notch joysticks, let alone poor plastic stuff like the one you own). If you want realism, you can buy (for example) the TM Warthog and extend the arm (some guys have made a functional extension that really helps).

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

How much landing attempts have you tried before giving up, W1ndy? It took me a good 50 tries before I could even start to land in a somewhat proper way and I still screw up from time to time. Its not the kind of aircraft you learn in a day, you need to keep at it!

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You have a cheap excuse for a joystick like MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, and then you complain about the Huey not feeling realistic?

Actually the MSSWFFB2 is the best stock stick for flying helicopters out there.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

OK I had a similar thread earlier and we went round and round for about 2 weeks before I tried the following.. (Which fixed the issue COMPLETELY for me.) try the following:

OK so after a lot of thought I decided to take a closer look at the version of DCS I am using and yep it is the latest and greatest... HOWEVER... Since there doesn't seem to be a way to figure out the last revision # for the individual modules installed.. (At least I can't figure out how to do this) I decided to look at what the latest download revision is compared to the one I used when I last loaded DCS... Interestingly, the one I used ended in 168 and the latest download is 186.. So I downloaded 186, fully uninstalled the previous module, rebooted and reloaded the latest and greatest and guess what? I have not augered into the ground EVEN ONE TIME since re-installing the latest module.. As a matter of fact I have not even gotten a single whiff of VRS or settling with power issues...

NO IDEA WHY, but it appears that the auto-updater although appearing to work fine is not.. (At least for me anyway.) And yes I tried multiple times to manually force DCS to look for any updates and all appeared to be well..

So for anyone out there that agreed that there may be something wrong, I strongly urge you to try what I tried and see if it resolves the issue for you as well, as this is much more enjoyable now that I am not hitting VRS every time I blink my friggin eyes...

It is VERY important that you download the latest module

THEN

Uninstall the current module using the module Manager

THEN RESTART YOUR MACHINE

and then reload the latest module..

If you don't do things in that order exactly as shown it will not help..

• Like 1

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Actually the MSSWFFB2 is the best stock stick for flying helicopters out there.

If you mod the Warthog by taking the large spring out (3 minute process that's easily reversible if you want to change it back), it becomes as light as a feather and perfect for the Huey.

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

I think the force feedback function of the FFB2 is what makes it so good for the Huey. When you trim it in place, it will stay there just like the real deal.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree that the Huey is hard to land but saying that you won't play it till it's patched introduces several problems.

1) Is the landing unrealistic? Assuming it must need to be patched because I can't land the bird insinuates that I know what a Huey should land like or that I should be able to land it straight away. I would bet that if I jumped in a real Huey I'd have even more problems landing it (I certainly would have had a harder time getting it off the ground without endangering myself or others). So is the difficult landing even something that should be "fixed"? I don't thinks so. If so, not in a way that suddenly makes it easy.

2) Is DCS supposed to be easy? Not really. I'll admit that I fly the A-10 more than anything just because I can. It's so easy to fly. But I also get more enjoyment out of starting it up, taxiing, and taking off (along with other things like doing mid-air engine restarts) because it's exciting and it's a way to learn and get better. The same can be said for the Huey. The fun part of it is that it ISN'T easy. If I wanted easy I'd be flying any number of other flight sims. But I don't because at a point they are no longer fun, they are just another game.

3) Will the patch it? This is different than "should they". Will they? Maybe. Maybe not. So if they don't, you'll have a game that you never play.

As an example, I don't fly the P-51 because I stink at it. But I do NOT want them to "fix" it so it's suddenly easy for me to do. It's frustrating, yes. But don't change it. If it were that easy to fly in real life I'd be doing that along with everyone else in the world.

It just takes practice....like it does in real life. The beauty of DCS.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is VERY important that you download the latest module

THEN

Uninstall the current module using the module Manager

THEN RESTART YOUR MACHINE

and then reload the latest module..

If you don't do things in that order exactly as shown it will not help..

Thank you, I'm going to try that...

EDIT: for some strange reason it would not let me uninstall through the module manager, I proceeded to uninstall the whole DCS World thingie and will re-install after rebooting...

Edited by SPAS79

Ok, you are missing the point. These are not cars. And I said I assume if you flew around in a 206 it was a B model, so we will compare apples with apples and a 205B. Much more than a paintjob went into the upgrade to a 205B. And to think that it flies the same as an A model is incorrect. Stability is something that is being constantly worked on at bell. And the huey II is an even further upgrade with much more stability. Comparing the two is more like comparing a 1970's chevy pickup to a 2013 pickup. They are built on pretty much the same frames, but their handling, suspension, engine, transmission, etc... is not the same. They are very far apart generation wise, unlike your ridiculous audi analogy. I have driven both, and I know what the difference is. Much like the huey II and the uh-1h, i have been in both. They are worlds apart. Now if you don't agree with me, that is fine. Like I said similarities are there, the original 205 was a painted UH-1H, but those have all mostly long been upgraded and don't fly quite the same anymore. Similar, but not identical.

Now, to say the model in game is unflyable is laughable at best. There are a few quirks, when I was informed they will be still further adjusting it, I will wait and then post my opinion on the changes. Nothing is wrong with you having an opinion, but don't ever compare a r22 or r44 to a bell again, lol.

OK mate, I don't get why you take it that personal though...

As I can see I'm missing your point, your missing mine, we're even, no need to burst into flames huh??

I simply think the Huey should not be that wiggly, especially with high end computer and controls and with a somewhat competent monkey handling them.

I will try the suggestion given a couple of posts after yours and see how it works out...

Peace. And if you're still mad, I'm sorry for you but that's not my problem. I paid for the product and although in beta I expect it to be functioning. Otherwise put out a FREE beta, I will not complain...

Peace. And if you're still mad, I'm sorry for you but that's not my problem. I paid for the product and although in beta I expect it to be functioning. Otherwise put out a FREE beta, I will not complain...

Far from being mad. I'm just straight forward with what I think, I don't have the patience to make it sound nice. Take care bud, and no ill meaning was ever intended, I apologize if it sounded like that.

Edited by pbishop

practise people

for me the this bird is more presice than BS

I can land anywhere

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog