Scenes High or Low

I often get paged by players asking if I could change our 169th_Dedicated server from High Scenes to low. My answer is and allways will be no.

However that doesnt mean you have to go somewhere else to fly. If that's the only limitation for not getting playable framerates, then do the following and all your troubles will be over.

Procedure:

1. Go to :"..\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\Terrain\Scenes

2. Copy "Low.scn" to your destop

3. Rename "Low.scn" to "High.scn" on your desktop

4. Rename "High.scn" to something else like "orig-High.scn"

5. Cut and Paste the Renamed Low.scn from desktop back into ..\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\Terrain\Scenes

Done!

Now even if the server has high scenes set you will only see low scenes.

Happy New Year :)

It might create weird desync problems in multiplayer and generate bugs.

F.e. someone destroys an object that is not present for other clients. Or someone flies through space that on where other client has a building in that place.

etc.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

• 2 weeks later...

I did this recently (I used the 'medium' folder and copied it, renamed the copy to replace the 'high' folder). Its a great workaround, ive not had any issues - however, if a mission designer selects a building as a target which is already on the map (ie not a static placed in the editor), it might not show up - but as long as the editors know this its fine.

• 1 year later...

I think using high scenes is alright for most people... if it creates an impact on framerates (which we all know it does) just reduce visibility ranges for structures in graphics.cfg file. Use something like 1-2 or 3 km and that'll do.

I personally use something like 80 to 100 density and 4,5 to 5km distance and it does alright for me. I do get 10-15fps over cities but it's still playable for me. I use mirrors too and I know I could save a few FPS by switching them off but I feel they add quite a bit to imersion when flying so I leave them on.

So anyway, like Ice suggested, you could use low scene file and rename it to high and medium, or use originals and reduce distances. Works either way. If you change the files you won't see any structures, and if you reduce distances you will see them, just at shorter range.

I guess works differently for different people... well actually PC's as I am sure if we could we would ALL use higherst settings all the time if PC's would allow good frame rate :D

No longer active in DCS...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Update: I said never but i lied :music_whistling:

169th dedicated has been set to low and I just altered my scenes file to high. And some of you call me stubborn .. :pilotfly:

thats the way to go... excellent... everyone who can go high...might do so.... but noone will "hang" around with less FPS not knowing how to change it ... :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Procedure:

1. Go to :"..\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\Terrain\Scenes

2. Copy "Low.scn" to your destop

3. Rename "Low.scn" to "High.scn" on your desktop

4. Rename "High.scn" to something else like "orig-High.scn"

5. Cut and Paste the Renamed Low.scn from desktop back into ..\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Bazar\Terrain\Scenes

Done!

:) that's the way i did 2 years ago for playing offline (at that time i've no internet connection)

I've renamed the High.scn to Medium, the result was i had more trees on the ground, cool :D