I'm a fan of PVC

Thick8

and hidden wires.

I built a very inexpensive frame out of PVC and mounted a car seat to it. I screwed PVC end plugs to 1/4" mdf to mount the components. this way they can be removed or moved as needed. All the fittings are secured to the 1-1/2" tubing with four 1" screws per joint (no glue). that way it can be added to or modified. This actually used to be my general aviation chair before I became bored with FSX.

The main view is 3 39" Coby 1080p TVs. They are inexpensive ($300) but the insides are all LG components. The dash screen is a 22" Planar touchscreen monitor. It too is inexpensive ($250) as it has a stand out bezel so it can't be sold as a "Windows 8 compatible" monitor. I'm using the FaceTrack open source headtracking software with a homemade 3 point IR-LED clip. I will be incorporating the LED's into my Turtle Beach 5.1 surround sound headset within the next couple of weeks.

A very special thanks goes out to gadrock for his excellent Helios progam, to CptLoz for his Helios and monitor config files, and to PeterP for sharing all his vast knowledge and help getting this sim running like it should.

thanks for looking,

John

Edited by Thick8
  • Like 1

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

No, the laptop is for the flight manual and training videos so I can better learn what I'm doing. The main computer is on a seperate shelf behind the middle screen to save space and hide the wires.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Nice !

You are welcome! - always a pleasure to help.

(well, I have bought cable strippers long ago ... and when looking at your 'gaming corner' - I think I finally should start to use them to clan up this spaghetti salad that is visible under my monitors. - thanks for this "reminder")

That's a nice clean looking pit.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

How do the 3 tvs affect your frame rates?

'monitors' or 'TV' - it doesn't mater.

- its all about overall in-game resolution, and how the output giving devises are connected to the device that creates the render (direct on GPU/ via second GPU / or virtual GPU via USB, ...) and/or full-screen , windowed and so on....

every 'tiny' bit is very important - ...which settings are used in-game.

TSSAA can kill every frame-rate when using with a MSAA setting over 4... high scene or low and so on...

-short: always look at the 'big' picture - each small thing is important.

....get a overview how every little detail is important here: Seeking best connection method for optimal multi-monitor-performance -please have a read - even if it is right now a little 'outdated' - and the system specs have changed.

:)

...another very prominent example what people do wrong at their very early steps to use a multi monitor setup:

Hi - here is a tip for you:

Arrange the desktop like the green square.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62669&stc=1&d=1329156152

even if there is "Nothing" shown on it- this "nothing" is over 800.000 px big and has to be calculated each frame (this takes some cycles) and than transported through the v-ram.

Edited by PeterP

Right, but I'm just looking for a practical "in my case" 1 tv yields xx FPS, 3 tv yields xx FPS. I understand that the subject is very complex and dependent on all sorts of variables like you say. One can't really make a decision to invest in a triple monitor setup based on a "well it depends" answer though.

For me, I prefer higher frame rates over more detail. Especially in DCS where the terrain is pretty lacking anyway. That being said, a more immersive 3 screen layout is very appealing if those frame rates don't suffer too much.

Thanks for the links too, good information for me to chew on.

-- try to not go below 55 pixels per inch at 4 ft distance- or 64pixels per 1° of real filed of view in front of you.

Means

<< the link will tell you also about other things you want to have a eye on.

- otherwise it can get too fuzzy to read certain elements like the engine gauges and various MFCD/HUD elements in the virtual cockpit.

and as nice the immersion will be - you will end up with tired eyes and it gets inconvenient to use because you find yourself always zooming in in a normal combat mission.

@Thick8

-sorry . I'm not trying to 'take over' this thread .. - just trying to pass info.

Edited by PeterP

Looks good. I like PVC as well.

How do the 3 tvs affect your frame rates?

I have my settings on high with HDR turned off and 2xAA on. I get a solid 30-40 FPS. I changed the view angle to -2 as I don't need to see the anything but the hud. I will often do a ALT+F1 when I'm just flying and then will have about 50 FPS.

I'm thinking of chenging out my 1090t CPU for a higher clocking one. My hope is that a 5Ghz CPU will do better than a 3.8Ghz one.

the 1090t is a six core CPU. I use a program to set the affinity of the cores because I'm running Facetrack, Teamspeak, Helios, and DCS. I use core 0 for windows "stuff", cores 1 & 2 for DCS, core 3 for Facetrack, core 4 for Helios , and core 5 for teamspeak. I may go with the FX-8350 (8 core)CPU to get 2 more cores but I've read that the FX-6350 (6 core) attains a higher clock rate.

Hope this answer helps.

John

What model Cobys are you running?

Coby LEDTV3916. I just checked and the price of them on amazon is now $342.20. When I got them they were $299.99 with free shipping.