Boeing 777 crashes at SF airport!

Conure

Good news 305 survived, 2 killed.

Plane reported coming into high of an AoA.

Tail struck the back sea wall and broke off.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Good news 305 survived, 2 killed.

Plane reported coming into high of an AoA.

Tail struck the back sea wall and broke off.

seems there had perfect weather (with calm wind)

looks pilot error at first blink :(

most of the pilots are not using automatic approach/landing

especially skilled pilots

sign-pic4.jpg

Investigation should give us some insight of what might happen.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Few bits from NTSB Twitter;

Sound of stick shaker began approx. 4-sec prior to impact. #Asiana 214

Call to go around made approx. 1.5-sec prior to impact. #Asiana 214

Preliminary results revealed: 24 hours of recorded data. #Asiana 214

FDR contained 1400 parameters and captured the entire flight. #Asiana 214

The data indicate that the throttles were at idle and the airspeed slowed below target approach speed during the approach. #Asiana 214

The throttles were advanced a few seconds prior to impact and the engines appear to respond normally. #Asiana 214

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

The data indicate that the throttles were at idle and the airspeed slowed below target approach speed during the approach. #Asiana 214

damn, idle throttles ? :noexpression: :chair::fear::wallbash:

i'm wondering when they will finally eliminate/forbid the manual landing with 300 persons onboard :doh:

thanks for the info Thamuff :thumbup:

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

:censored: :shocking: :bomb: there was a huge trouble in the cockpit: 2000 feet altitude, 20 minutes prior touchdown over the pacific ocean ? :wallbash: what was that ? a low alt city/sightseeing flight ? http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAR214

http://qz.com/101266/look-at-the-flight-path-of-asiana-214-before-it-crashed-in-san-francisco-yesterday/

BOh4pypCEAAnIQ7.jpg:large

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

i dont know what to think but they were too low - continuously - was not reported of an emergency or malfunction

but those idle throttles :mad: without speed and altitude with huge full flaps and gears down: flying brick

were pilots drunk ?

amazing errors in a perfect weather

personally i think better to use auto pilot/landing and do only monitirong the automatic with 300 passangers behind pilots

what you wrote is a good example for a manual carrier landing IMHO

auto pilot wont make that low approach deviation what you can see on the graph above - but if even so, there are pilots to turn off autopilot/landing

Edited by NRG-Vampire

sign-pic4.jpg

Glideslope was inoperable, so they had to do manual approach. And pilots HAVE to know how to fly airplane manually even with 500 souls on board, that doesn't matter. There's no rule that says "ok we have a lot of people here, let's use autoland". But how many manual hours and experience with hand flying those pilots had, that's a different question...

ok, iv just read:

"There are reports that the ILS glideslope was unavailable, but that the PAPI (precision approach path indicator) for runway 28L was functional. There are some conflicting reports that the PAPI was unavailable as well. Aircraft were making visual approaches to 28L and 28R."

but they at least they had to use the auto throttle

http://flyingprofessors.net/what-happened-to-asiana-airlines-flight-214-2/

sign-pic4.jpg

ok, iv just read:

"There are reports that the ILS glideslope was unavailable, but that the PAPI (precision approach path indicator) for runway 28L was functional. There are some conflicting reports that the PAPI was unavailable as well. Aircraft were making visual approaches to 28L and 28R."

but they at least they had to use the auto throttle

But I heard on the news reports that the throttle was set to idle..and it was within 7 seconds..they realized their air speed approach was to slow..and low..pilot error...but I could be wrong..I heard this on one news channel..

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/sf-fire-chief-2-dead-crash-were-found-090015957.html?vp=1

[/Table]

Recruiting for Aerobatic Team/Fighter Group...

But I heard on the news reports that the throttle was set to idle..and it was within 7 seconds..they realized their air speed approach was to slow..and low..pilot error...but I could be wrong..I heard this on one news channel..

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/sf-fire-chief-2-dead-crash-were-found-090015957.html?vp=1

yeah, read my previous replies - idle throttles: that's why i was mad

sign-pic4.jpg

yeah, read my previous replies - idle throttles: that's why i was mad

Why are you mad? Idle power descents are used all the time. Most carriers FMS's will automatically command an idle power descent at the start of the terminal phase of the flight.

Best to wait for the NTSB report and then know all the facts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

Why are you mad? Idle power descents are used all the time. Most carriers FMS's will automatically command an idle power descent at the start of the terminal phase of the flight.

Best to wait for the NTSB report and then know all the facts.

If you watch the link I posted the NTSB did mention flight was coming in too slow and too low

[/Table]

Guys... I've read a lot of poo in the 'media' so please stop making accusations based on 'media-facts'. Only official info we have is that they were low on speed and below a normal g/s.

It's anyone's guess, at this point, as to why this accident happened. To accuse the pilots of 'being drunk' is not helpful. I can assure you that they themselves had other plans while on a layover in SFO.

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

If you watch the link I posted the NTSB did mention flight was coming in too slow and too low

I'd prefer to get the facts from the interim NTSB report, then rely on media hyperbole.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AEF 161 Squadron CO ~~~ My YouTube Channel ~~~ "We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering." The Shoveller ... Mystery Men

Guys... I've read a lot of poo in the 'media' so please stop making accusations based on 'media-facts'. Only official info we have is that they were low on speed and below a normal g/s.

It's anyone's guess, at this point, as to why this accident happened. To accuse the pilots of 'being drunk' is not helpful. I can assure you that they themselves had other plans while on a layover in SFO.

Really well I just saw a news report with a NTSB representative reporting some of the findings to the crash

IE: Like the flight was too low and too slow on approach..

Also of the two that died..news reports that one of the 16 year olds that died was apparently run over by an emergency response vehicle...

[/Table]

Isn´t this the first hull loss of a 777 (with casualties, that is)? Guess the 777´s perfect safety record just got a little dent. :(

Does the air frame's safety record take a hit if the mishap was a result of pilot error? Not making any insinuations, mind you. Just curious

CNN reporting the Captain! Only 43 hours! Wow flying international?! That explains it.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||