Boeing 777 crashes at SF airport!

Conure

So, in layman's terms, (one of) the current theories is that for the mode the plane was flying in the A/T did not automatically activate and required manual activation?

Correct

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Chaos, yep forgot that they may have been in HOLD having used FLCH when high, good point. HOLD won't appear in VNAV with flaps out of Up ('on approach mode'). going by their speeds they were certainly in the wake-up regime above 100' RA.

As the Asiana P/UT was an ex-airbus pilot I can see how the auto flight systems on the B777 can be hard to take in, I for one think the next block point 17 really should address some of the issues that exist (a couple you already alluded to). I really think the training Captain has a lot to answer for, as does the third guy on the jump seat. Airbus converting to Boeing is harder than the other way around imho.

I think the ex-airbus pilot handling may not have recognised the inability to pitch trim below min-manoeuvre speed since they don't trim at all on the airbus. At 104 kts he would have been way out of trim. Btw, NTSB have confirmed no issues with A/Ts.

Edited by Druid_

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q