Su-25T - Finding Targets

I know this sounds like a noob question...and that's because it totally is a noob question. In the Su-25T, how exactly do you guys find ground targets? When I am approaching a waypoint 3 miles ahead, I use the shkval and look 3 miles ahead. This does not work very well and I only find my targets about 50% of the time before passing overhead and being shot down by a SAM because I'm too close.

Is there a better way to find targets without having to get so close? On the A-10, you can visually see the waypoint on the HUD, but on the Su-25T this doesn't seem to be the case? And if there is a way to see the waypoint on the ground how do you do it? And is there a better way of finding the targets themselves?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

I think you need to rely more on the eyes and think your place on the map more. After you read the briefing and know the general location on the map, don't go straight to it and if you fail to acquire just return to safe distance and repeat. Slowly you will get better and better at spotting the location and the targets faster... then... shoot them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The easiest way to spot targets with the SU-25T is to land it and jump in the A-10C :P

I find it very difficult to do ground attack, and spotting in the 25T, not being able to lean out the window makes it a bit harder too.

Often even if I have a rough idea of where the target is, its still hard work to get the shkval looking the right way, then to get a lock, and fire off a missile all in a short space of time.

Sponsored by: http://www.ozpc.com.au

Also working with a spotter in other aircraft tends to help a lot :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Spotting and identifying the enemy is half the job, the other half is assessing the tactical situation and use the right 'package' for the right threat at the right time while avoiding friendlies. Delivering the weapon although the fun part, is just a 'detail'.

So yea spotting and target assessment can be quite tricky. I find that what helps me the most (when you don't have AI or buddies directing you) is to get to know the terrain, the rivers and the towns so you can use the briefing information effectively. Like IRL you then can use visual references to help you draw the briefing map in your head and know where you are, where you're going and the supposed location of your targets. Then it's just a matter you positioning yourself to scout and scan the area and I'm sure in no time you will find what you're looking for!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Some very good points. If anyone else has any more advice I would love to hear it. Zaelu, that is very true, I am usually just to impatient and let myself get closer than I should.

The easiest way to spot targets with the SU-25T is to land it and jump in the A-10C :P

I find it very difficult to do ground attack, and spotting in the 25T, not being able to lean out the window makes it a bit harder too.

Often even if I have a rough idea of where the target is, its still hard work to get the shkval looking the right way, then to get a lock, and fire off a missile all in a short space of time.

Haha! I bought A-10c yesterday and I'm already much better at locating targets in it, even though I have so much more experience in the 25t. I have been using the Shkval system for several years now and I still have a difficult time finding the targets before the targets find me. Regardless, I love the 25t and it will continue to be my primary aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nvidia GTX Titan Pascal - i7 6700K - 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 Corsair - Corsair PSU - Saitek x52 Pro - Custom FreeTrack IR Setup - iControl for DCS

The frog is really lovely indeed, I hope in time it'll get upgraded to a hi def 6 dof cockpit like its regular Flaming Cliffs counterpart, no hurries though. The A-10C sure is better equipped to search & destroy, both are rly fun to use imo and the Su-25t make up for a great training CAS aircraft, if you succeed in it you'll most likely rock in the A-10. I know every friend who shows some interest in DCS I'd advise them to try the free Su-25t. (Although you gotta mind the SEAD missile's that tend to miss their target by a few meters currently)

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i agree, Su-25 is harder to use and acquire targets than A-10, .. for me the hardest thing is Su-25 speed..its just too big, its a damn rocket this plane..and resolution of shkval is not so much so you could effectively "scan" the ground in search of stuff, you really need to brush up on Situational awareness by simple sensor mother nature gave you-your eyes!..

so, looking for targets while flying at 9 to 3 o'clock to avoid going directly into target area, watching your speed, altitude, possible enemy fighters or enemy AD targeting you, after finding target re-positioning yourself to do a run on the target, trim the hell out of your controller for smooth control which is always more jumpy in frogger anyways, and then deploying your weapons..

frogger is designed to strike fast and run fast to survive dangerous contested air space..while a-10 was designed with more uncontested air space in mind so it can loiter more over the enemy and obviously be more effective in delivering weapons cuz of that.. when i watched those russian froggers in Georgia in '08 my god, the hud was all over the place, how in hell did the pilot managed to release those rockets on that column was beyond me.. i know now Russian air force is trying to make the frogger capable of lasing 2 or more targets in one attack run, so you can be more effective in attack, it all boils down to effectiveness(time+weapon accuracy delivered) in final stages of combat..

I find that the TV system on full zoom can find targets quite well but as mentioned do that from a safe distance and break off and do it again if you don't spot them. Nothing will help spot a Manpad guy placed around towns and cities though. Just fly above 3000 if you know they're about and pop countermeasures, make sure your IR jamming is on too. It does make a difference against manpads.

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

It's not the most economic way, but if you have a printer, you can also print a map.

Taking screenshot in the briefing, or using the generic map available in DCS download section, then make some note and marks. That helps a LOT. (at least in my case).

I just use "allies only" F10 map before take off, to draw the frontline on my map. Then i don't use F10 anymore.

I strongly recommend using the printer in eco-mode and take used-paper as much as youcan for the forests sake.

I often use the F10 view option as a sort of poor man's tactical MFD. That and turning labels on.

Both of these options are not very realistic, but they can help quite a bit.

However, due to the limitations of my computer hardware visual spotting is not very realistic either.

Once I have the general vicinity of targets I often turn off labels as they tend to get in the way for visual sighting if you're using bombs, rockets or guns.

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

If you're the mission maker...

a phantasmagoria (sp ? :) ) pod will find anything with a radar (& let you snap the shkval to the emitter), even if you're not carrying a SEAD loadout. Depending on the deployment of units, that can get you looking in the general area.

Also -

The Nav system can take target points that will show on the HUD. Attaching these to units seems very close to 'cheating' (how do you enter the co-ordinates of a moving vehicle from teh airbase ?), but setting a target point in the vicinity of the target seems fair & sensible (in that someone programmed a flight plan into the aircraft because they had a target in a particular area in mind, so they could add one or more target points in the general area they think you should be looking into the Nav system at the same time), and will again get the Shkval pointing in the general area.

Cheers.