Bushmanni help me?

justoc

So, Bushmanni, I was trying out your track with 4 apaches, and all of my efforts were completely in vain. I have come to the point of anger and frustration, and as such, am now asking for someone's help. How in the hell do I kill these god damned Apaches?

Note: Low quality HOTAS ministick

Low quality joystick/cyclic

No pedals

too pissed i quit.trk

bushmanni trk attempt.trk

Edited by justo(c)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I suspect there's some problem with the tracks as your second Vikhr salvo is shot in the air on both tracks and the Apaches butcher you as a consequence.

You seemed to fire your first shot at ~9.5 km which is slightly far. While you can kill them at that distance, it's not a certain kill as if the target maneuvers too much the missiles won't be able to reach him. The other thing which you might already have noticed yourself is that only one of the Apaches attack you at one time so if you shoot them in a correct order, you can always kill the one who is attacking you and avoid being hit by a Hellfire. Other than that, it's just about being quick and not making any mistakes.

I find it takes too much time to try to lock the second Apache or any of them after that so I will fire my missiles while manually tracking the targets. Because of the range estimation system in Ka-50 the Shkval tends go crazy if you try to track targets at co-altitude manually so I used HMS to get over the problem.

If you watch my video you can see that I don't use mouse to do anything after my initial setup as I have all the necessary controls mapped to HOTAS and keyboard. I also have my zoom control in a joystick slider so I can zoom in and out quickly. You need to be able to operate everything without thinking ie. you notice some switch needs flicking and your finger does it on it's own without you needing to pay attention to it. This will require time and practice so you shouldn't worry about it too much as you can't have results overnight but you will certainly have eventually if you just keep practicing.

In my video you can see that the second Apache got its tail rotor destroyed by my missile and it started to spin but didn't exactly die so the rest probably didn't even try to engage me as they considered the spinning one to be still in the fight. For some reason I didn't realize this but only some time later when someone else wondered about it. I try to make a track where the two last ones also engage me.

• Like 1

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

OK, I tried this thing again and my Vikhrs didn't seem to be very effective. Either they missed an easy target or event if they got a direct hit to the nose of an Apache it didn't kill him or even damage enough to prevent him quiding Hellfires at me. There's definitely something broken in the game currently.

SF Squadron

Thank you very much for the in depth response.

I suspect there's some problem with the tracks as your second Vikhr salvo is shot in the air on both tracks and the Apaches butcher you as a consequence.

I noticed something similar with your replays, took a look at your AtoA with guns, you slew to the ground and fired small bursts at nothing and let the apache blow you to bits. I have the HMS to center mod, which I see you have as well, so it is curious. I have heard that the mod messes up your replays.

You seemed to fire your first shot at ~9.5 km which is slightly far. While you can kill them at that distance, it's not a certain kill as if the target maneuvers too much the missiles won't be able to reach him. The other thing which you might already have noticed yourself is that only one of the Apaches attack you at one time so if you shoot them in a correct order, you can always kill the one who is attacking you and avoid being hit by a Hellfire. Other than that, it's just about being quick and not making any mistakes.

It is far indeed, I agree, but my reasoning is, in a normal AtoA you should fire your Vikhr at 7km, but if you fire far out of range, you can still get a hit/kill at that range if you are lucky, while being able to launch your next set within range.

And yes, I noticed that after the first Apache goes down, they maneuver sideways, I would look for the fastest mover and attempt to lock him up before he fires upon me (also noticed they will shoot hellfires while flying sideways, and sometimes still hit you). Furthest I got was killing the second apache, fired 2 vikhrs at the 3rd one, while he fires his hellfires. I would hit him, but he stays up in the air (hence my frustration). :mad: .

My ministick is 8 way, but the shkval is only 4 ways, so if I accidentally use anything other than those 4, which happens often, the slew will just stop while I readjust.

I find it takes too much time to try to lock the second Apache or any of them after that so I will fire my missiles while manually tracking the targets. Because of the range estimation system in Ka-50 the Shkval tends go crazy if you try to track targets at co-altitude manually so I used HMS to get over the problem.

With my track clip secured by tape, I don't see this happening soon :megalol:

Do you know if there is any noticeable difference between Track IR 4 and 5 btw?

If you watch my video you can see that I don't use mouse to do anything after my initial setup as I have all the necessary controls mapped to HOTAS and keyboard. I also have my zoom control in a joystick slider so I can zoom in and out quickly. You need to be able to operate everything without thinking ie. you notice some switch needs flicking and your finger does it on it's own without you needing to pay attention to it. This will require time and practice so you shouldn't worry about it too much as you can't have results overnight but you will certainly have eventually if you just keep practicing.

I have everything I need mapped as well, maybe the replay is messed up.

In my video you can see that the second Apache got its tail rotor destroyed by my missile and it started to spin but didn't exactly die so the rest probably didn't even try to engage me as they considered the spinning one to be still in the fight. For some reason I didn't realize this but only some time later when someone else wondered about it. I try to make a track where the two last ones also engage me.

This is a possibility. It made for an impressive video, at least.

OK, I tried this thing again and my Vikhrs didn't seem to be very effective. Either they missed an easy target or event if they got a direct hit to the nose of an Apache it didn't kill him or even damage enough to prevent him quiding Hellfires at me. There's definitely something broken in the game currently.

I have experienced the same thing, which is why I turned on AA H/O to try and attempt a solution. I certainly hope there is something wrong with the game, for an apache should not be able to take 2 vikhrs and keep flying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The tracks in the older thread have been made with older version so it would be expected that they don't play back correctly.

When I used POV hat (8 way digital) for Shkval I programmed my stick to send keyboard commands for the in between positions so that Shkval would slew also diagonally ie. up-left position would send Shkval up and Shkval left keyboard commands simultaneously. If your stick isn't programmable you might be able to use Autohotkey to do the same.

The video would have been more impressive if the two remaining ones would have fought back as well. I'm kicking myself to the butt for not noticing that it obviously wasn't normal behavior before it was too late. I'm pretty confident that it wouldn't be too hard as I can win all the sub-battles of that kind of engagement quite consistently.

SF Squadron

The tracks in the older thread have been made with older version so it would be expected that they don't play back correctly.

When I used POV hat (8 way digital) for Shkval I programmed my stick to send keyboard commands for the in between positions so that Shkval would slew also diagonally ie. up-left position would send Shkval up and Shkval left keyboard commands simultaneously. If your stick isn't programmable you might be able to use Autohotkey to do the same.

I will try my luck with this.

The video would have been more impressive if the two remaining ones would have fought back as well. I'm kicking myself to the butt for not noticing that it obviously wasn't normal behavior before it was too late. I'm pretty confident that it wouldn't be too hard as I can win all the sub-battles of that kind of engagement quite consistently.

I'd just write it off as novice pilots attempting risky maneuvers. Also, I always lol @ attempting to shoot rockets at descending apaches.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]