F-18 Radar

Hackeriss.lv

I was thinking more of a "snapshot" like when you take a screenshot. They are like, a few megabytes.

Put some filters on it, whatever fancy stuff that's doable.

If you wanna zoom in on an area, it generates a new "snapshot" for a closer up look.

Apply filter like noise, black/white++.

The engine is already capable up putting labels on objects, and automatically track a moving vehicle in the TGP.

Should be doable to use that in some sort to automatically pick out moving stuff etc.

??

I don't know, I'm just tossing out ideas :p

Hmm.. CPU because to add filters to an snapshot that consists of high or even medium resolution images would just create un-needed use of cpu and

keeping that snapshot + keeping those filters on that image would cost useless amounts of ram!

Yes it is possible to create images on hard drive so that ram doesnt get all that usage.. but in minute or two you would end up with hundreds of images on your pc.. and from experience huge amounts of game engine generated images interfier with scripts/commands that are creating them.

DirectX 11.2 supports Megatextures, like the one used by id-software in RAGE (one GIANT Texture for the entire ingame-world).

Maybe you can use that as the base (have the entire world-texture with tesselation-information edited to look like a Radar-Picture on the HDD and then stream the needed parts) and then just render individual units (Tanks, Vehicles, etc.) on it.

The Engine has to support this feature too, of course. But ED is working on a new engine, so this method might work.

Edit: In the Direct3D 11.2 Feature-List it is called "Tiled Resources" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn312084%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#link

Edited by Saab-FAN

DirectX 11.2 supports Megatextures, like the one used by id-software in RAGE (one GIANT Texture for the entire ingame-world).

Maybe you can use that as the base (have the entire world-texture with tesselation-information edited to look like a Radar-Picture on the HDD and then stream the needed parts) and then just render individual units (Tanks, Vehicles, etc.) on it.

The Engine has to support this feature too, of course. But ED is working on a new engine, so this method might work.

Edit: In the Direct3D 11.2 Feature-List it is called "Tiled Resources" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn312084%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#link

That is what you can see in my first 2 tech demos!

The idea behind it is apply one filter to whole world.. wheather it consists of many of just only 1 huge texture. But as i can see Cortex designs are interested in optimized version.

Flight sim addict, physics freak, mathematics degenerate :D

I was thinking more of a "snapshot" like when you take a screenshot. They are like, a few megabytes.

Put some filters on it, whatever fancy stuff that's doable.

If you wanna zoom in on an area, it generates a new "snapshot" for a closer up look.

Apply filter like noise, black/white++.

The engine is already capable up putting labels on objects, and automatically track a moving vehicle in the TGP.

Should be doable to use that in some sort to automatically pick out moving stuff etc.

??

I don't know, I'm just tossing out ideas :p

As i mentioned using screenshots as actual .jpg pictures will generate huge amount of useless after mission data.. (pictures... lots of them)

again loading the recently generated picture in game will create resource usage..

I'm not talking about seconds but miliseconds.. or in other words you sacrifice fps in places where you could gain them!

For moving stuff.. well make the fcr display only those 3d objects that velocity is above 0 or above the smallest movenament speed required for certain radar to detect! ;)

The idea behind it is apply one filter to whole world.. wheather it consists of many of just only 1 huge texture. But as i can see Cortex designs are interested in optimized version.

But shouldn't you have to have height map too to calculate the terrain masking in relation with the relative angle of the emitting source?

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

But shouldn't you have to have height map too to calculate the terrain masking in relation with the relative angle of the emitting source?

Although my idea consists only of creating life-like sar images i would be willing to make a system that would provide terrain masking but for now i wont even try doing that because i have no sdk and making terrain masking requires 100% of in-game engine tests. There are no applications out there that have DCS game engine like properties!

I think, you cannot go more optimized than this approach. Based of the code for the TGP/Mav-Views (the infrared-views seem to ignore any light-source, so you could probably tweak it for the use of just one light) for the render-target and with customized shader-code for the "Radar-Look", this method would do the job just fine.

What you can do however, is to put a lower-resolution grayscale-texture into the game for the radar-screens. It would increase memory-usage, but reduce the bandwidth-requirements for this particular render-target, as only a compressed grayscale picture has to be sent from the GPU-RAM to the GPU, instead of an RGB-Texture. Also you can fit other information into the texture that way, which makes it look more radar-like.

The best possible way to create this texture would of course be to use real SAR-Pictures of the area, created by satellites. :)

The problem: To tackle this problem ED has to finish the engine first, or give specific informations about the features. Also the current code for the infrared views of the A-10C would help. Without this information, all we can do here is speculate about ways to do it.

Does Coretex have access to the code of A-10C, to utilize stuff like the already implemented IR-Views?

Edit: Or were you trying to aim at a realistic Simulation of an SAR? What I described here would just emulate (replicate the results) of a SAR. If used with the current ground-model and tesselation, this method would also take care of terrain-masking automatically.

Edited by Saab-FAN

I think, you cannot go more optimized than this approach. - For optimized version i ment my 3rd video!

The thing is if you look at the first 2 videos textures used there for such small area are 2k and 4k textures but in my 3rd video i just used simplified texture that also does the job of showing where are the houses, roads ect. About actual 3d objects in scene.. on already pre-made sar texture relative to (for example) tank cordinates there could be created an square that would appear in MFD on the sar map. of course you wont be able to tell if it is tank or truck but i think we all can agree that that's the job of tgp.

You're going to have to explain what you are ACTUALLY showing with your videos, because I could recreate that video in pretty much any video production software. Is this a stand-alone application written in C++? If so, what graphical API are you using? If not, you might be underestimating the challenges of software development. Not to sound rude, but you have not yet shown anything that implies you have usable code here...

You're going to have to explain what you are ACTUALLY showing with your videos, because I could recreate that video in pretty much any video production software. Is this a stand-alone application written in C++? If so, what graphical API are you using? If not, you might be underestimating the challenges of software development. Not to sound rude, but you have not yet shown anything that implies you have usable code here...

I don't have any code to show you cause i don't have any access to game engine it self and i dont have any idea with what and how the dcs works. And its true! you could recreate that stuff in any video production software. My idea was just to show that it is possible and that it looks good and life like!

By far my idea is working like a charm in udk and cryengine.

F-18 Radar Part 2!

Its me again!

Thoughts can change in a moment!

When i used to be "just a guy from community giving ideas for bethseda" when they were releasing fallout 3 i met some of most creative people i've ever known! They thought me that first comes the idea then vision and then visualisation of the vision and then comes coding and scripting and what not.. First when i started posting my ideas i had no idea how to work with dcs and people that knew were trying to find million reasons why my ideas wont work instead of trying to help to figure out how to make them work and i'm not only talking about this project!

All through i met some resistance for my ideas in Bethesda dev team they at least tried to make them happen! Here it was, just as i said, million reasons why not..! i'm not talking about everyone! There were still people that were supportive in their own way!

I want to make sure that i have nothing against Coretex Designs or anyone working in their team. It so happens that i started presenting my ideas in their part of the forums!

Keep up the good work! ;)

Anyway here i present my current work and FCR integration for dcs. Still there are some glitches like range and rotation between high texture and low texture scans isn't synced and the image change isnt as smooth as it should be and terrain masking at very low levels is i must say crappy and the scaling for mfds (in 3d space) is too unfinished so you can say i used 3rd mfd - those things i might fix if i will have free time.

Also adding "more stuff to press" in mfd. currently i'm using it only by key combinations.

If anyone from ED devs or their representatives have any objections against my work i'm ready to remove this video and get rid of the code.

Edited by Hackeriss.lv
  • Like 3

Its me again!

Thoughts can change in a moment!

When i used to be "just a guy from community giving ideas for bethseda" when they were releasing fallout 3 i met some of most creative people i've ever known! They thought me that first comes the idea then vision and then visualisation of the vision and then comes coding and scripting and what not.. First when i started posting my ideas i had no idea how to work with dcs and people that knew were trying to find million reasons why my ideas wont work instead of trying to help to figure out how to make them work and i'm not only talking about this project!

All through i met some resistance for my ideas in Bethesda dev team they at least tried to make them happen! Here it was, just as i said, million reasons why not..! i'm not talking about everyone! There were still people that were supportive in their own way!

I want to make sure that i have nothing against Coretex Designs or anyone working in their team. It so happens that i started presenting my ideas in their part of the forums!

Keep up the good work! ;)

Anyway here i present my current work and FCR integration for dcs. Still there are some glitches like range and rotation between high texture and low texture scans isn't synced and the image change isnt as smooth as it should be and terrain masking at very low levels is i must say crappy and the scaling for mfds (in 3d space) is too unfinished so you can say i used 3rd mfd - those things i might fix if i will have free time.

Also adding "more stuff to press" in mfd. currently i'm using it only by key combinations.

If anyone from ED devs or their representatives have any objections against my work i'm ready to remove this video and get rid of the code.

Just to make sure I got it right: this is not a mock up like the previous video, but instead you really integrated the new display type into our "real" A-10C, like a new cockpit device (yes, as demonstration prototype only, but still)?

Awesome.:thumbup:

Just to make sure I got it right: this is not a mock up like the previous video, but instead you really integrated the new display type into our "real" A-10C, like a new cockpit device (yes, as demonstration prototype only, but still)?

Awesome.:thumbup:

Yup. ( i guess i should have done like most devs today.. added little white "ingame footage" in corner :D)

Hi, looks neat, but I'm still not getting the impression that it's actually being rendered in-game. Am I wrong? (In fact I don't believe the capability exists unless you're in possession of ED's SDK.)

I'm getting this feeling too. What is particularly setting me off is that you never show the SAR image in the pit. This could just as well be an overlay put onto something that was rendered offline.

I'm perfectly fine admitting that i'm wrong, in fact, in this case i'd be happy to, but since you are clearly set on trying to convince us that your mod renders this online, i'm afraid that without in-pit footage of the MFCD, there will always remain that feeling of you trying to dupe the community.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!