$9000 addon spaceship destroyed

SUBS17

And I thought jet combat flight sims were expensive.

Imagine spending years devoting your time and your finances to acquiring an impressive video game spaceship, one of the biggest and most valuable the gaming world has ever seen.

Now imagine all of that work being destroyed in minutes.

One player of the long-running online game EVE Online experienced that horror Sunday, when an ambush destroyed his supercarrier valued at a whopping $9,000.

The massive world of EVE Online is all about buying, piloting and blowing up spaceships. It’s not for the faint at heart, in part because its in-game currency, called ISK (Interstellar Kredits), carries a real-world value. The Revenant -- one of only three ships that big in existence -- carries a value of 309 billion ISK, making it among the priciest bits of code in the game.

That also made it quite the target.

The ambush played out with plenty of intrigue. Players in the Pandemic Legion received an SOS and assumed it was a player in distress. It turns out the player they had put in charge of leading their fleet was actually a spy for an opposing group, who led them directly into a bunch of dreadnaughts and supercarriers. The owner of the Revenant, a player named TSID, could do little to stop the virtual bloodbath, and the rest is EVE Online history.

The economy in EVE Online is a living thing. CCP, the game's developer, actually has an economist in-house who monitors the virtual world, working to curb inflation or introducing new types of technology to absorb currency. It’s like a virtual Federal Reserve, selling bonds to shrink the money supply.

Technically, players cannot exchange ISK for real-world cash, but CCP does let them use that in-game currency to buy real-world objects (such as graphics cards) and 30-day game time codes.

This isn't the first time the game has seen major losses. Eight months ago, a ship carrying valuable blueprints worth $6,000 in real-world money was destroyed by other players. And while losing a $9,000 spaceship is a serious bummer, the Revenant is still a far cry from the most expensive video game object, an honor held by a $350,000 space station in fellow online world Project Entropia.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/video-game-starship-worth-9-000-destroyed-ambush-190533986.html

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

I would love to have seen the look on his face when he got ambushed. I bet he ruined his Hota's and keyboard trying desperately to get away, so add another couple of hundred dollars to that. Seriously though, what a waste of money some people have money to burn.

EVE is brilliantly messed up.

I remember a story about how one of those mega cap ships being accidentally warped into some place it didn't mean to be, being trapped in a fight, and the battle becoming this enormous 100+ person battle that just RAVAGED one alliance's fleet.

All from one guy's accident.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Messed up ?

I thought those were the intents of the game ?

Like ultimate goal to have stuff like this happening, those are the real fuel of the game.

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

CPP or whatever that company is is ROLLING in it...I mean utterly smothered in money. If this guy paid $9k for that ship, he's very wealthy and might not feel it as bad if he were pedestrian.

I mean that kind of ambush will go down as legend...some people love that...honestly it's hard to achieve that kind of dramatic beat in any other game currently. It will most likely SHIFT the entire EVE culture ... seeing how much a spy can affect the dynamic.

CPP or whatever that company is is ROLLING in it...I mean utterly smothered in money. If this guy paid $9k for that ship, he's very wealthy and might not feel it as bad if he were pedestrian.

I mean that kind of ambush will go down as legend...some people love that...honestly it's hard to achieve that kind of dramatic beat in any other game currently. It will most likely SHIFT the entire EVE culture ... seeing how much a spy can affect the dynamic.

He never payed real money, its just he passed THOUSANDS OF HOURS playing.

Since the price of the ship in ingame currency is equivalent to XX hours of free game and those XX hours cost X USD, the ship is worth an equivalent of 9K.

Now, ok the company is quite healthy, and i m Happy with it. We need more succefull companies delivering good game.

OBS: i never played EVE myself its not my cut of tea, but i saw people playing and the game seem very well made.

OBS2: If you had some kind of penalty maybe we would be less suicidals ? :)

HaF 922, Asus rampage extreme 3 gene, I7 950 with Noctua D14, MSI gtx 460 hawk, G skill 1600 8gb, 1.5 giga samsung HD.

Track IR 5, Hall sensed Cougar, Hall sensed TM RCS TM Warthog(2283), TM MFD, Saitek pro combat rudder, Cougar MFD.

I would love to have seen the look on his face when he got ambushed. I bet he ruined his Hota's and keyboard trying desperately to get away, so add another couple of hundred dollars to that. Seriously though, what a waste of money some people have money to burn.

Been there, done that.

It was a long time ago, but during a drunken flight I manage to lose a ship worth more than the rest of my 40-man "corporation". I decided to "go AFK" while on autopilot to have a cigarette.

Moral of the story? Don't go AFK. Also, don't smoke. Also, don't drink.

But fortunately, while I was playing that game I was one of them wealthy bastards (made my "startup funds" daytrading "named loot" Pre-Shiva), so it wasn't long to get that stuff sorted out. :P

Basically: no, I don't think he ruined his keyboard. If he's the type of person that flies that ship AT ALL, he'll be like "OMGLOL" and laugh at it on Ventrilo/TS with his mates. Basically, people that don't have that attitude never manage to "climb" far enough in that game to fly something like that anyhow.

(Another accident I had was to sell a dreadnought, back when they were impressive to have, for 1.4 million ISK. Ooops. Oh, and when I bought it and was going to take delivery, I had it ransomed at a billion. Fun times. :D )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Well, aside of subscription fees. So no news here really.

Well, depends.

Last couple years that I played EVE I didn't pay anything in subscription fees - I bought PLEXEs from other players for ingame money. Money is easy when you have an industrial empire. :P

Though there are cases where silly stuff has been lost that were indeed purchased for real money. But usually that was people that can drop 10k dollars on something the way I can buy a hot-dog, so... :P

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

You need to read up on EVE economy.

Basically:

You pay sub fees per month.

You can also purchase what is called a "PLEX", "Pilot License EXtension".

The PLEX can be traded in-game.

So if you are good at making money in-game, you don't pay anything to play the game.

But since the PLEX costs real money, and the PLEX trades ingame for game money, there is an equivalence. Basically, X amount of ISK equals Y amount of PLEX equals Z amount of dollars. However, actually purchasing property directly from another player for money is actually "illegal".

Spies and their effects are standard in EVE. I was in a corp that considered this the "fun" part of EVE. Infiltrate "zhe enemy" and get director access. Then start war. Then have FUN! Then make demands. If they say no, abscond with their assets and go "told you".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I don't see what's the big deal , its not the first titan to get blown up (i assume it was titan).

From what I understand (I've been out of the loop for a few years, DCS stole my gaming hours :P ) it's not "just" a Titan. It's a one-off series. Like the "Impoc" (Or Apocalypse battleship, Imperial Issue.) Unique items where the value in part is in their hardcoded rarity. (And yes, CCP will actually make models for ships that will be ultra-rare in the sense of there being anything between 1 and 10 of them in the entire game - EVER... Usually as part of an event, like a prize in their e-sports league.)

But given that I've been away for a while, I can't be sure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I don't know, sounds like a perfect game to me. If you like MMOs. I mean, multi thousand dollar ships, spies, intrigues, 100+ player battles...

Free to play if you manage to get good, at either economy or war/partnerships...

This is spanish saop opera stuff :)

I'm blown away by these reports and surprised that I don't actually play the game. or should I say life simulator, in space.

recently there was a battle involving 2200 players. CCP tried to divert server nodes to it to support the huge amount of traffic. However someone made a mistake and took the system they were fighting in offline also, disconnecting 2200 players and ending the battle. Apparently 4000 people were watching on twitch tv.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

.....spies, intrigues, 100+ player battles....

Lol yeah I had to laugh at the leader (I think) and members of the Pandemic legion when they were busy throwing an epic hissy-fit (VOIP recording leaked) at the ambush they walked into and the resultant ganking they received after they have been doing the very same thing to others all the time in the months preceding this wee spanking.

What goes around comes around: Fact.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Its only fun when your dishing it out. lol

:megalol: So true! My Gawd you should listen to the VOIP recording.......I have not laughed that nicely in a long time tee hee hee.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is why I quit playing Day Z after a couple of months (which was a couple of months to many). Games like these are unduly stressful, and promote a genuine mean-spiritedness in the player base ... out to ruin everyone else's day, as much as possible. Did I say ruin one's day? Week, month, months in cases like this. Rewarding bad behavior ... you know, I'm not even going to continue.

I don't think EVE promotes bad behaviour, it just mimics real world mechanics and in the real world bad behaviour apparently pays.

Well, I don't think even Somalia can rival the degree of ganking experienced in EVE, or that particular battle lol. Not being an EVE player, does crime committed even have a penalty?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]