A show case of the "unpredictable and uncontrollable " DCS Huey

PeterP

You will find a DCS World *.trk of this flight attached at the end of this post.

Put it in C:Users>YOUR USERNAME<Saved Games\DCSTracks..

to replay it in your DCS World > Replay .

Do you have problems to control the Huey ?!

(UH-1H_1.2.4.12913_186 beta)

Please Tell !

I will do my best to help you to master one of the most terrific simulation I ever had my hands on !

Promised ! - don't give it up!

The controllers that I used:

Pitch/Roll = Microsoft Sidewinder FFB2 (X/Y raw axis resolution = 1024)

Rotor-pitch(collective) = a lever of the Saitek Throttle Quadrant (raw axis resolution = 255)

Anti-torque(Rudder) = Saitek pro-flight rudders (raw axis resolution = 512)

All curves are set to linear.

well - everything is a 'little ' modified... but this mods doesn't higher the real precision (means : the input to DCS)

- I have only a 'little' more travel and better ergonomics. - everyone should be able to do the same like in the vid with a 'normal' setup - as long he don't use a twist-stick for rudders, or even worse: only a game-pad.

Here is my "secret":

Practice, Practice, Practice. - and when you are done - do it again.

Get to a point where your muscles do the 'thinking'! Its You that have the controls. Fly the Huey - don't let the Huey fly you!

..and never ever force anything - if the conditions aren't fitting ! : recheck your own flight state every time you want to make a major change - when it doesn't fit - you have to know your plan 'B' and/or you should be good at improvising. - or get back to plan 'A' immediately. - when you also didn't had a plan 'A' , well son , it's hopeless..., sorry.

If you aren't able to do it like in the vid ...

Than the problem is somewhere between your monitor and your chair - it's not the flight-model.

I have right now 23 flight-hours logged with the Huey beta

The video/track just shows only elementary skills you should be able to handle if you say from yourself that you are able to control it. -my flying is far from being 'perfect'...

Get used to your flight limits. - read them and make your notes. -

...again :

read them - don't only look at it ,...that's why flight-manuals are written. - they full fill a purpose - and not only a bookshelf!

Tread them with Respect!

At least with the same respect you give your own words.

and again: what's shown in this track/vid is only the elementary of which skills are needed to fly at your 'own will' in perfect conditions = clean aircraft and windless weather

Image this: If you wouldn't be able to do it in RL - you wouldn't leave flight school with a licence.

--just watch the track from the F2 view - and you will see how 'boring' and imperfect my flying is.... ,

but at least it brings me exactly to the place where I want...

;)

Things like a too short approach and/or a too close distance to a threat/obstacle just are happening because someone acted without to re-act at all.

And here is one "first hand" note:

Hi all...after reading and listening to everyone, I would just like to say that it takes a lot of practice to control a Huey. I know it sounds like I toot my own horn when I say that I am a real world Huey driver with over 2000 hours but I only say that so that folks will know that I have some idea as to what a real Huey's flight characteristics are like.

This DCS model is very accurate and it flies like the real thing. I learned to fly the UH-1H in the U.S. Army and I can tell you...no one can walk in off the street and fly this aircraft nor will anyone in this forum. It does take a lot of patience and practice to learn this aircraft but I feel that everyone can learn to fly this aircraft with accuracy. Some points that might help are:

1. Most fixed wing guys are not use to flying with your pedals. It take a lot of pedal control to keep the aircraft from turning around its rotor system so put a lot of “LEFT” pedal in when hovering. The amount of pedal will probably feel exaggerated to most fixed wing guys and girls but hovering is about the pedals.

2. When coming in for a normal landing, it should look like a brisk walk in your peripheral vision. When you start to decelerate the aircraft watch your airspeed indicator and when you get to around 30 knots, add collective…bring it to about 20 psi, this will help you “catch” the aircraft before it plunges into uncontrollability. You should never go below 30 knots with your collective bottomed out…you will almost never recover from this configuration. I watch a lot of the video’s that are posted and see the torque meter at “0” while screaming in for a landing, in a real aircraft you will almost never “0” your torque (this will cause instability…unless your autorotating). You should try to be at the above mentioned “Brisk walk” at around 100 feet AGL. It will seem very odd to some folks but this is the way a real helicopter is landed…slowly…a helicopter doesn’t have the same approach speed sight picture as a fixed wing and most try to land it like they are flying a fixed wing aircraft. If you’re a fixed wing guy your approach will seem exaggerated in how slow your approaching the ground.

I want all to feel how great the UH-1H is so if I can help you understand the nueances of this great machine then I will always be there to advise. I hope this helped

UH-1H_1.2.4.12913_186 - Practice PeterP.trk

Edited by PeterP
Typos - a lot.
  • Like 1

• ED Team

No problems for me, I find it much easier than the blackshark.

Fly it like you stole it, and you will have no problems :)

For anyone having trouble landing try doing combat landings first ( still moving forward as you land ) they are much easier to perform :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hahaha. Nice 'hand-break' turn at the end there to park.

Q: At 0:09 I see you've got a knee pad map. Haven't noticed that in my cockpit, is it a graphic option? How did/do you do that? Going to check tonight, perhaps it's something I've missed.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

Hahaha. Nice 'hand-break' turn at the end there to park.

Q: At 0:09 I see you've got a knee pad map. Haven't noticed that in my cockpit, is it a graphic option? How did/do you do that? Going to check tonight, perhaps it's something I've missed.

clik the download link in my Signature.

clik the download link in my Signature.

Brilliant!!

Didn't know you could do that. Also looks like you've got high-res bitmaps for the maps as well. Been looking for something like this for ages, thanks man!

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

Nice flying....

I may get beat up for this but I must point out that I've got more than 23 hours in the chopper and seem to be fine at flying it (I love flying it in fact) and can do some decent take offs as well. But landing...ah landing.

I know the people here (and a lot of people) have no problems with this and I know it gets old hearing about the flight model. However, I have to point out that the people on the other side don't like being told that they suck and need to practice more. While I agree that practice is the answer, it just sucks if you have practiced more than some others and it still isn't landing for you.

I won't claim to be the best pilot, but I'm definitely able to fly low around buildings and make hard turns and things like that. I just can't land.

Anyway, once again great flying.

Edited by 311Gryphon

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I keep it within a radius of 2 meters when in HIGE and VTOL, this is very ok I guess, people should practice instead of whining...:P

Yeah that is a great suggestion for those that have had issues with not getting the correct updates..

It is not whining friend, it is getting thru to such "experts" as yourself that not everything is perfect yet and some things need to be tweaked on some systems...

I go thru this on a daily basis at work ... (I am a computer desktop engineer) We identify an issue that 20 people are having and then present it to whatever group needs to address it. They look at it for about a day and then come back with some version of "Well we can't reproduce this issue and don't understand why it is happening." They of ocurse do not finish their statement with "So you must be wrong" but that is always the implication...

Let me clear this up... The fact that you don't see it or don't understand why it is happening does not make it untrue.. It simply means you don't know why it is happening... That lack of knowledge in no way effects whether the issue is real or not.

There IS a very real issue with the auto updater and I don't know if it is ED code or a firewall issue or God knows what other things are blocking the proper update of the files, but it IS happening... Whether folks want to admit it or not...

So as long as this keeps happening to folks, we will voice it... Call it whining if you want to but I don't really see it that way...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Outlaw, we know it now, thanks.

Just please watch your tone, as your replies reads that you 'jump' on others.

;)

BTW: I was able to fly like this also before the "update"

- I just checked things yesterday night with a closer look and a side-effect was this track/video

- what you see in this Vid was already possible before - Now I just have the 'feeling' that the VRS is a little reduced - nothing more - nothing less.

Yeah that is a great suggestion for those that have had issues with not getting the correct updates..

It is not whining friend, it is getting thru to such "experts" as yourself that not everything is perfect yet and some things need to be tweaked on some systems...

I go thru this on a daily basis at work ... (I am a computer desktop engineer) We identify an issue that 20 people are having and then present it to whatever group needs to address it. They look at it for about a day and then come back with some version of "Well we can't reproduce this issue and don't understand why it is happening." They of ocurse do not finish their statement with "So you must be wrong" but that is always the implication...

Let me clear this up... The fact that you don't see it or don't understand why it is happening does not make it untrue.. It simply means you don't know why it is happening... That lack of knowledge in no way effects whether the issue is real or not.

There IS a very real issue with the auto updater and I don't know if it is ED code or a firewall issue or God knows what other things are blocking the proper update of the files, but it IS happening... Whether folks want to admit it or not...

So as long as this keeps happening to folks, we will voice it... Call it whining if you want to but I don't really see it that way...

Edited by PeterP

Outlaw, we know it now, thanks.

Just please watch your tone, as your replies reads that you 'jump' on others.

;)

BTW: I was able to fly like this also before the "update"

- I just checked things yesterday night with a closer look and a side-effect was this track/video

- what you see in this Vid was already possible before - Now I just have the 'feeling' that the VRS is a little reduced - nothing more - nothing less.

I "Jump" because I have been going thru this for about a month now and every 25 posts or so somebody throws in a statement like we are "Whining" And now I have Coff from ED giving me a hard time about it.. Sorry folks it is what it is and ignoring it isn't fair to paying customers that are having legitimate issues.

RAMBO

I "Jump" because I have been going thru this for about a month now and every 25 posts or so somebody throws in a statement like we are "Whining" And now I have Coff from ED giving me a hard time about it.. Sorry folks it is what it is and ignoring it isn't fair to paying customers that are having legitimate issues.

Outlaw, please head over here : http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1812105#post1812105 - and make the tests.

You are posting now in three different threads the same thing ( ...and I'm not far from this too...) - this just makes no sense until you have something to show if you rally need this 'proof'.

I won't do these tests - I will waste my time with other unnecessary things.

And - like I said before - I had no big issues before - and even at the first initial release of the Huey.

Edited by PeterP

Outlaw, please head over here : http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1812105#post1812105 - and make the tests.

I won't do them as - like I said before - I had no big issues before - and even at the first initial release of the Huey.

No offense but why would I knowingly take steps to break my existing system that I took the time to fix with a workaround in the first place?

I am trying to help folks out but I am not going to shoot myself in the foot doing so... The behaviors I have explained should give ED enough information to work with to look into the issue if they are interested in fixing it.

RAMBO

Very nice flying... Practice makes perfect, eh? This vid makes me want to improve my own flying, so job well done: you've made me a better man.

• Like 1

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

No offense but why would I knowingly take steps to break my existing system that I took the time to fix with a workaround in the first place?

I am trying to help folks out but I am not going to shoot myself in the foot doing so... The behaviors I have explained should give ED enough information to work with to look into the issue if they are interested in fixing it.

Do whatever you want - and as I read - you are 'happy' and have a 'fixed' install. Right?! - so why this fuzz?.... leave things like they are and see what the next version will bring you. - people are free to take you advise and re-install the module (like I did) - and see if there is a change.

Easy isn't it ?!.

- But please stop to turn these thing into something personal - this is a good and friendly meant advise . - as I watched things like this happening very often on these boards the last years. And the outcome is very rarely something that people can be proud of.

:)

Edited by PeterP

Do whatever you want - and as I read - you are 'happy' and have a 'fixed' install. Right?! - so why this fuzz?.... leave things like they are and see what the next version will bring you. - people are free to take you advise and re-install the module (like I did) - and see if there is a change.

Easy isn't it ?!.

- But please stop to turn these thing into something personal - this is a good and friendly meant advise . - as I watched things like this happening very often on these boards the last years. And the outcome is very rarely something that people can be proud of.

:)

The "fuzz" is because others are having issues and yet many on this board disregard what they are saying when this is a real issue for some. I am just trying to help and the naysayers get real old...

I am not the type to sit idly by when I see an issue and have a workaround and others are having issues... And it isn't personal it is simply tiring...

RAMBO

I think what Peter is trying to demonstrate is that the game is not "broken" like some users say. The Huey is simply not a easy aircraft to fly and requires a lot of practice. Reading several threads a week complaining about the FM and how its broken is also tiring.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think what Peter is trying to demonstrate is that the game is not "broken" like some users say. The Huey is simply not a easy aircraft to fly and requires a lot of practice. Reading several threads a week complaining about the FM and how its broken is also tiring.

HaHa... And this simply reinforces why people get so frustrated when trying to fix an issue...

Please READ the threads before posting... I have already proven that there is an issue for some folks..

RAMBO

HaHa... And this simply reinforces why people get so frustrated when trying to fix an issue...

Please READ the threads before posting... I have already proven that there is an issue for some folks..

And you should also read my posts!

smile.gif

Outlaw, I posted this Vid manly for people that are tempt to post that the Huey is not controllable- Now and in the Future. -

I just wanted to show them what you can do with it - and my demo is far from being 'perfect'. - it just shows only elementary skills you should be able to handle if you say from yourself that you are able to control it.

And whatever this direct download changes - there are many, many people that will still not be able to control it - be it a lack of practice , understanding or skills or the wrong controls. - I hope you get my point.

Please everyone, stop this now!

edit:

- can please anyone that didn't used the direct Huey module download and is still on a Huey version that is updated by the autoupdater ,

please check if this track matches with the video on their install :

>>

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=109925

Thank you very much!

Edited by PeterP

• ED Team

Just watched the track all the way through with no issues. some nice flying peterp.

The only thing I found strange was your view, I tend to sit forward in the huey :)

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Lucky?

How am I lucky? You have berated me on this for pages and now I don't even get an "Oops my bad?" from you...

"By coincidence, we a currently testing the update from this very version to the latest release "

By coincidence? Right... So miraculously, the exact version of installer I am talking about that is causing issue for multiple customers was selected for your testing and it is simply mere coincidence?

Sounds more like you guys knew there was an issue and decided to bust my chops for multiple pages rather than just admit it...

So I am not full of CRAP am I? Nor are the other folks that have had this issue..

I have to say I am less than impressed my friend...

From the other thread... Just an FYI that YES there is an issue and ED is looking into fixing it now...

RAMBO

Just watched the track all the way through with no issues. some nice flying peterp.

The only thing I found strange was your view, I tend to sit forward in the huey :)

.. can be, because I use this very nice mod >>>

Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

so your view is different because my files are not installed. -- and remember: there is no 'one view setting' that fists them all.

So: I recorded the track for youtube on a 4:3 windowed DCS - and when you use a different setting, your view will also be different.

-anyway and whatever -

Let's talk about the flight model:

>>>> !!!!

Did that.

My Huey install has since the first public release of the beta only been updated by the autoupdater and the track plays perfectly fine.

OK - so there is NO change to the FM. Thanks! rep inbound.

--all I wanted to know and what is important for this thread.

Thanks - Case closed! - no different FlightModel.

Edited by PeterP

.. can be, because I use this very nice mod >>>

Reworked Cockpit Views with proper Neck

so your view is different because my files are not installed.

-anyway and whatever -

Let's talk about the flight model:

>>>> !!!!

Thanks - Case closed! - no different FlightModel.

It is NOT closed... This only means that the issue does not shwup on HIS machine. Why is this such a difficult concept?

Just because HE is OK does not mean that there isn't still an issue...

And ED is currently testing the exact version of Installer I am talking about. Doesn't that seem odd to you at all?

RAMBO

Back on topic Immediately! Last warning!

(just to keep things transparent :

I have now reported your post - the next time I will give you a negative reputation and report it again - and also contact moderators directly by PM. ... and please - before answering on this post:

Please read all posts of you and me in this thread again

Yes- you are right - it's similar what the UNO is able to do - but beware - once it has started - i'ts not easy to stop.

-just take a deep breath - and make your own clues- I won't do it for you anymore. Thanks)

Edited by PeterP