A show case of the "unpredictable and uncontrollable " DCS Huey

PeterP

Track played fine for me too. Appears to match youtube version exactly.

Using current auto update version.

• Like 1

Hawk_5

Modules:

A10C, BS2, FC3, P51, CA, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2

System:

Gigabyte GA-X79UP4 MB, intel 3930k, Coolermaster Siedon 120M liquid cooled, Corsair Vengence Red 16GB 2133Mhz, Gigabyte Geforce GTX680 2GB Super o'clk, intel 520 SSD 240GB,

Seagate Barracuda 2TB HD, Coolermaster Silent Pro 800W PS, Coolermaster CM690 II Case

Very nice flying... Practice makes perfect, eh? This vid makes me want to improve my own flying, so job well done: you've made me a better man.

--just watch the track from the F2 view - and you will see how 'boring' and imperfect my flying is....

wink.gif

...well, but it does at least what I want whenever I want it. :)

Edited by PeterP

Hi all...after reading and listening to everyone, I would just like to say that it takes a lot of practice to control a Huey. I know it sounds like I toot my own horn when I say that I am a real world Huey driver with over 2000 hours but I only say that so that folks will know that I have some idea as to what a real Huey's flight characteristics are like.

This DCS model is very accurate and it flies like the real thing. I learned to fly the UH-1H in the U.S. Army and I can tell you...no one can walk in off the street and fly this aircraft nor will anyone in this forum. It does take a lot of patience and practice to learn this aircraft but I feel that everyone can learn to fly this aircraft with accuracy. Some points that might help are:

1. Most fixed wing guys are not use to flying with your pedals. It take a lot of pedal control to keep the aircraft from turning around its rotor system so put a lot of “LEFT” pedal in when hovering. The amount of pedal will probably feel exaggerated to most fixed wing guys and girls but hovering is about the pedals.

2. When coming in for a normal landing, it should look like a brisk walk in your peripheral vision. When you start to decelerate the aircraft watch your airspeed indicator and when you get to around 30 knots, add collective…bring it to about 20 psi, this will help you “catch” the aircraft before it plunges into uncontrollability. You should never go below 30 knots with your collective bottomed out…you will almost never recover from this configuration. I watch a lot of the video’s that are posted and see the torque meter at “0” while screaming in for a landing, in a real aircraft you will almost never “0” your torque (this will cause instability…unless your autorotating). You should try to be at the above mentioned “Brisk walk” at around 100 feet AGL. It will seem very odd to some folks but this is the way a real helicopter is landed…slowly…a helicopter doesn’t have the same approach speed sight picture as a fixed wing and most try to land it like they are flying a fixed wing aircraft. If you’re a fixed wing guy your approach will seem exaggerated in how slow your approaching the ground.

I want all to feel how great the UH-1H is so if I can help you understand the nueances of this great machine then I will always be there to advise. I hope this helped

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

229th battalion, 1st Cavalry

This DCS model is very accurate and it flies like the real thing.

I can tell you...no one can walk in off the street and fly this aircraft nor will anyone in this forum.

I want all to feel how great the UH-1H is so if I can help you understand the nuisances of this great machine then I will always be there to advise. I hope this helped

Thanks for 'stopping by' and your feedback. - it's very appreciated!

- added a quote to post #1

Edited by PeterP

Thanks for the helpful hints Flyer49. It's much appreciated. Oh, and you should find a picture of yourself with a huey instead of a Blackhawk! :) And thanks for your service!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Nice flying, PeterP!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PeterP again." :(

Thanks also flyer49 for your informative post! Especially with the Ka-50, approaches appeared to be extremely slow to me, but it's good to know that's how it's done in real life. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Nice flying, PeterP!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PeterP again." :(

Thanks also flyer49 for your informative post! Especially with the Ka-50, approaches appeared to be extremely slow to me, but it's good to know that's how it's done in real life. :thumbup:

Thanks to you both !

But : I wouldn't post it openly if I where you - as this "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PeterP again." only shows that you very rarely gives others rep , expect myself.

;)

BTW: I give to almost every post a "+1" when I found it useful or interesting or it just helped. regardless of the poster ID.- so I never ran into your 'troubles'. check your reputation log...

Edit:

BTW and to be honest : wile thinking it over again what I have posted: I don't give a shit on rep - smile.gif

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

Wish I would have thought about a track replay before I reinstalled the module.

Mind you... I was able to land before I reinstalled, but I did feel like I was encountering VRS too easily still.

After the reinstall, it seems much less pronounced. Alas, I have no proof in facts of anything.

I can say however, I have maybe 30 hours on the DCS Huey, and my approaches are still lacking the hand of experience. After reinstall, I tried a normal approach from 500 AGL, and a low level quick stop and I felt more in control.

Wish I would have thought about a track replay before I reinstalled the module.

Mind you... I was able to land before I reinstalled, but I did feel like I was encountering VRS too easily still.

After the reinstall, it seems much less pronounced. Alas, I have no proof in facts of anything.

I can say however, I have maybe 30 hours on the DCS Huey, and my approaches are still lacking the hand of experience. After reinstall, I tried a normal approach from 500 AGL, and a low level quick stop and I felt more in control.

Great I will add you to the list of believers... Glad it helped..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

You're really on a crusade, eh? :huh:

Crusade?

If ED doesn't have any publicly accessible old installers laying around and some folks still can't get their Huey updates to stick, then there's something wrong with the update process, now isn't there? And if so, what's wrong with someone pointing this out to the devs, especially when the bug seems to be demonstrable and repeatable?

Or is there something I don't know / catch here? Haven't really followed this debate since the updates work just fine for me :)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

PeterP

That was quality faffing around in your Huey there, well that's what I call it been doing that ever since it launched and its the best way to master it throw the manual away and just fly it like the boys that first flew the Huey as it rolled off the production line.

Those chaps made it up as they went along.

Power sliding too lol I have been trying to get enough momentum in free flight instant action to park her right in between the 2 Hueys at the other end of the airfield almost there.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

But : I wouldn't post it openly if I where you - as this "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PeterP again." only shows that you very rarely gives others rep , expect myself.

;)

BTW: I give to almost every post a "+1" when I found it useful or interesting or it just helped. regardless of the poster ID.- so I never ran into your 'troubles'. check your reputation log...

Actually I tend to rep a lot, so I don't think the above hint is entirely true. It's just that I can't rep the same person twice within a certain period of time - which may well span several months IIRC. Instead of sending rep, that was my way of letting you know that I liked your post. :)

BTW and to be honest : wile thinking it over again what I have posted: I don't give a shit on rep - smile.gif

Haha, easy to say when you have so much. :D

But seriously, I think it's a nice side-feature to be able to express appreciation, but I'm regularly impressed by the knowledge and the ability to write good posts of total newcomers with no formal reputation yet, so I agree that we shouldn't take this whole reputation-thing too seriously.

Okay, sorry, what was this thread all about? :music_whistling:

... ad nauseam, at every fitting or unfitting occassion.

Don't worry Flagrum I have since seen the error of my ways. Really stupid of me to try to help folks in today's world. (and your post is a fine example of what I am talking about. I seem to recall I tried to help you with this issue and now you turn on me as well..)

As stated in another thread I quit trying to resolve this issue...

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Outlawal2, no one can fault anyone trying to help. But turning every post of "really?" into "it works dammit, what's wrong with you!?!" gets a bit much. I get that you get annoyed because it seems like people are challenging you, or not reading the full thread, etc. But that's their prerogative. Most people are *not* that vested in this topic. I know you're trying to help but your dogmatic attitude rubs people the wrong way. It's completely possible that the fix you experienced was on *your* system. And it may help others. The developers were trying to show that their file systems haven't changed. As you pointed out, it could be the DCS updater. Who knows. But don't take it personally. If it helped you, fine. If it doesn't help others, that's fine too. It's just a game, so relax and enjoy it. You don't have to go on a quixotic quest to help every user who may or may not be having your problem. Isn't it possible that people just suck at first and need to practice?

Flagrum's post was spot on. It's one thing to try and help, it's another to shoehorn your argument at every turn, relevant or not. That's what he is trying to say.

So continue to point it out as a possible solution to people who may be experiencing it...but don't slam others who may not be believers. At the end of the day, who cares? If it helped you, great. If others don't take the advice, so be it. Again, appreciate the help, just don't take it so personally every time someone challenges it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Don't worry Flagrum I have since seen the error of my ways. Really stupid of me to try to help folks in today's world.

It's not that you try to help, it's just the way you try to do it ...

(and your post is a fine example of what I am talking about. I seem to recall I tried to help you with this issue and now you turn on me as well..)

As stated in another thread I quit trying to resolve this issue...

Yes, you tried to help me and although it didn't work out for me, I thank you for your effords. (I might have omitted that in the original thread - and I am sorry for that.)

Just let's look forward, not backwards. This issue will be fixed eventually. But it takes time, as every bug fix, especially perhaps as it is not easy to reproduce. ED has an eye on it an many other ppl here are now also aware of a potential problem.

Thanks guys for 'bumping' this thread on and on ...

but please , try to stay just a 'little' more on topic ;)

....the topic is somewhere between: "Have great difficulties to fly it like I want it" and "This helped me to persuade the Huey to do what I want"

@ outlaw

Please post a 100% simple to follow instruction how to 'fix' the Huey.

(a instruction that is written in a such a way that my 91 years grandma is able to follow it)

When you have done it - I will put a linked Notice in the first Post - so the people can try this too before they have to do more practice.

..and please don't 'step' on my nerves further like this - don't misinterpret me - the contend of you posts is somewhat correct and I fully understand your intention - it's your 'tone' that annoys me.

OK?:)

Edited by PeterP

• 1 month later...
Hi all...after reading and listening to everyone, I would just like to say that it takes a lot of practice to control a Huey. I know it sounds like I toot my own horn when I say that I am a real world Huey driver with over 2000 hours but I only say that so that folks will know that I have some idea as to what a real Huey's flight characteristics are like.

This DCS model is very accurate and it flies like the real thing. I learned to fly the UH-1H in the U.S. Army and I can tell you...no one can walk in off the street and fly this aircraft nor will anyone in this forum. It does take a lot of patience and practice to learn this aircraft but I feel that everyone can learn to fly this aircraft with accuracy. Some points that might help are:

1. Most fixed wing guys are not use to flying with your pedals. It take a lot of pedal control to keep the aircraft from turning around its rotor system so put a lot of “LEFT” pedal in when hovering. The amount of pedal will probably feel exaggerated to most fixed wing guys and girls but hovering is about the pedals.

2. When coming in for a normal landing, it should look like a brisk walk in your peripheral vision. When you start to decelerate the aircraft watch your airspeed indicator and when you get to around 30 knots, add collective…bring it to about 20 psi, this will help you “catch” the aircraft before it plunges into uncontrollability. You should never go below 30 knots with your collective bottomed out…you will almost never recover from this configuration. I watch a lot of the video’s that are posted and see the torque meter at “0” while screaming in for a landing, in a real aircraft you will almost never “0” your torque (this will cause instability…unless your autorotating). You should try to be at the above mentioned “Brisk walk” at around 100 feet AGL. It will seem very odd to some folks but this is the way a real helicopter is landed…slowly…a helicopter doesn’t have the same approach speed sight picture as a fixed wing and most try to land it like they are flying a fixed wing aircraft. If you’re a fixed wing guy your approach will seem exaggerated in how slow your approaching the ground.

I want all to feel how great the UH-1H is so if I can help you understand the nueances of this great machine then I will always be there to advise. I hope this helped

Amazing insight. Thank you. I am finding this sim reeeeaalllllyyyyyy hard, but things like this encourage me to persevere. Thank you.